Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mainly here so we can enjoy the LOLs afterwards at the end of 2023, but also an interesting discussion point.

I’m in genuine two minds and can’t call it, but who do you see finishing higher in 2023?

Who is positioned better from a list/team perspective?

Let the games begin…

Mod Note: This is a thread for BANTER and giving and taking a bit of the mickey. Enter at your own risk!
However this does NOT mean name calling, personal abuse, injury trolling, swearing or gifs/memes with swear words in them. Keep it clean and above the belt.
Thank you.

Geelong supporter chest puffery after their win yesterday is to be expected - Carlton played its best game ever against a depleted and brave Geelong side- and the brave Geelong team absolutely smashed the pathetic Carlton team.

etc etc etc blah blah blah

This is delusion at it's finest. I think Carlton fans would have more understanding of who's important to our team structure and who's not.

The 8 best 22 players who were missing are key cogs in our system, the other 5-6 on the sidelines barely make a difference when they are out there compared to the players who rolled around last night so don't get a mention.
I would say most teams will overrate their own a bit and Carlton fans certainly overrate their bottom half alot. Of cause you also want to see them that way as it creates the excuse “if x and y played we instantly win” from a loss. See this dillusional exaggeration all the time.

I have heard plenty of boards across big footy say Carlton has crap depth and a mediocre bottom 6 or so players. Not an exclusive or delusional idea of mine

Geelong supporter chest puffery after their win yesterday is to be expected - Carlton played its best game ever against a depleted and brave Geelong side- and the brave Geelong team absolutely smashed the pathetic Carlton team.

You beat us by 8 points last year with a huge injury list. Do you believe we would have beaten you had they all been on the ground??

I would say most teams will overrate their own a bit and Carlton fans certainly overrate their bottom half alot. Of cause you also want to see them that way as it creates the excuse “if x and y played we instantly win” from a loss. See this dillusional exaggeration all the time.

I have heard plenty of boards across big footy say Carlton has crap depth and a mediocre bottom 6 or so players. Not an exclusive or delusional idea of mine
"I have heard plenty of boards across BigFooty say it" - enough said

If this was true GWS and Geelong should have both smashed us by 50+ with the injury list we currently have. The fact that we beat Giants and got very close to the Cats proves that we have some decent depth. Not many teams lose 13 players and can still put together a team that is competitive against the undefeated Giants and Cats
Carlton have close to if not the best star 6-10 players in the AFL. Walsh,cripps, curnow, McKay, weitering, saad, cerra are all A graders.

Not many sides have 7 players of that level running around on the field at any one time.

What is Carlton’s weakness is the bottom 6 or so and Vossies game plan that leaks goals to teams who defend higher up the field.

Carlton have close to if not the best star 6-10 players in the AFL. Walsh,cripps, curnow, McKay, weitering, saad, cerra are all A graders.

Not many sides have 7 players of that level running around on the field at any one time.

What is Carlton’s weakness is the bottom 6 or so and Vossies game plan that leaks goals to teams who defend higher up the field.
If the star players were all we needed we would have dominated under Teague cause most if them were there. It wasn't until Voss came in and our role players became established that we saw improvement. So clearly those 6-10 are not enough. Even if you look at the finals last year we won them off performances from the likes of Acres, Cottrell, Newman, etc. Not our A grades but the role players under them

The "bottom 6" argument is such a crock of s**t. It's the laziest argument for any underperforming team. Collingwood won a flag with Oleg Markov, Mason Cox & Billy Frampton. Jason Castagna played in 3x premierships. Jed Bews is a premiership player. Premiership teams are littered with ordinary players. How often does a bottom 6 player from a successful club go to a new club and mirror their previous form?

Furthermore, if you think we're a squad with a poor bottom 6 & depth, then our injuries should absolutely ruin us and you should be embarrassed we challenged you at all. Can't have it both ways.

You beat us by 8 points last year with a huge injury list. Do you believe we would have beaten you had they all been on the ground??
Just gopes to show how much injury can affect team performance doesn't it?

I stated in the pregame that Carlton would have to dominate clearances and kick goals and that the current defensive line up would be tested by Geelong's faster smalls and outside players

The game pretty much played out exactly as predicted for obvious reasons - and Carlton lost because they couldn't convert regulation set shots. Simple.

A repetition of the same performance against Collingwood will see a similar result - again.

The only positive coming for Carlton out of that match was a pretty clear picture of which players were beaten by their opponents and Carlton starts to get some players back...

Just gopes to show how much injury can affect team performance doesn't it?

I stated in the pregame that Carlton would have to dominate clearances and kick goals and that the current defensive line up would be tested by Geelong's faster smalls and outside players

The game pretty much played out exactly as predicted for obvious reasons - and Carlton lost because they couldn't convert regulation set shots. Simple.

A repetition of the same performance against Collingwood will see a similar result - again.

The only positive coming for Carlton out of that match was a pretty clear picture of which players were beaten by their opponents and Carlton starts to get some players back...
Besides saad you don’t have anyone who is going to come in and amend that in relation to small forwards.

I honestly think people are clutching at straws when they create lists of names to improve the side and I see forgarty, Cunningham and Martin listed… I have said Martin is a decent player and I am being generous saying that especially with his form last year.

You guys were very confident of a win before the match started weren't you ;)

You guys were very confident of a win before the match started weren't you ;)

I think you will find as above most blokes who have a clue expected (at best) a close game and a toss of the coin - in my book - Carlton lost the game ( which surprised me) more than Geelong won it.

So well done as has been mentioned on many occasions and sorry about Dangerfield love watching him when he is on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Besides saad you don’t have anyone who is going to come in and amend that in relation to small forwards.

I honestly think people are clutching at straws when they create lists of names to improve the side and I see forgarty, Cunningham and Martin listed… I have said Martin is a decent player and I am being generous saying that especially with his form last year.

1. Saad /McGovern remove Young and Cowan ( both of who were liabilities) there goes your joe the Goose Long kick to an unmarked runner

2. Cerra improves mid rotations and field kicking - frees up Kennedy and Hewett to rotate HBF and HFF allowing in game match up changes and keeping pressure up for longer

3. Cuningham and Fogarty stiffen up forward defensive ability ( and via Ciuningham provides a reliable set shot kcik from anywhere in 50) - ther egoes you easy walk through and rebound kicking

you arent expected to understand any of this stuff - so you can be forgiven your nuffery

If you want a real wake up call- compare the games played between the two sides yesterday - you might get a shock as to how inexperiend the Carlton team on display yesterday was compared to Geelongs team- and I am not talking age I am talking games played all the way down the list.

and that is it from me to you.

If you want a real wake up call- compare the games played between the two sides yesterday - you might get a shock as to how inexperiend the Carlton team on display yesterday was compared to Geelongs team- and I am not talking age I am talking games played all the way down the list.

1714295703684.png

1714295718688.png

Fantasia came out for 19yo-0-gamer Binns too.

View attachment 1973809

View attachment 1973810

Fantasia came out for 19yo-0-gamer Binns too.
I think it was your post that I was thinking about- surprise me when I read it - of course opposition 'commentators' are clueless about the this that or the other thing - but kidding themselves yesterdays game said anything about anything - is very funny.

Oh unless they like to kid themselofves Saad/McGovern/Martin/Cerra are irrelevant to how the game could be played - good luck with teh joe the goose BS Scott and his mate at Collingwodo are putting out there...LOL a plenty coming our way in due course- just a pity the injury situation got as bad as it has as quickly as it did.

You have certainly played a hell of a lot better than what Collingwood has.
In fact, McKay, Cripps, De Koning and a probably a couple more are playing career-best footy. Name me at least one player for Collingwood (in their prime) that is having a solid season?

You played as well as you could possibly play yesterday and it was still not enough. Umpiring appears to be a main talking point. That 50 metre penalty somehow led to Geelong scoring 3 unanswered goals.
You don’t think 2.8 in first quarter and easy misses from Durdin and the usually decent set shot Owies player a role in the final margin?

Still almost gave ourselves a chance to pinch it…

Look forward to the next battle!

You don’t think 2.8 in first quarter and easy misses from Durdin and the usually decent set shot Owies player a role in the final margin?

Still almost gave ourselves a chance to pinch it…

Look forward to the next battle!
Geelong will crash when it matters most. Let them have their little April flag for now.

We're nowhere near last year's form while Carlton is flying, apparently.

You guys wouldn't wanna choke next week...
Collingwood have got their mojo back (apparently) everyone is saying so - everyone

Your mob wouldn't wanna choke next week - with al of Carltons injured stars still out.

Collingwood have got their mojo back (apparently) everyone is saying so - everyone

Your mob wouldn't wanna choke next week - with al of Carltons injured stars still out.

Yes, I keep hearing Carlton supporters telling me that they have 33 of their best 22 missing.

Back