FTA-TV Which TV shows are you watching now.

Remove this Banner Ad

I had a 3 month free trial for Apple TV. Had a whole bunch of stuff I wanted to watch on it. Killers of the Flower Moon, Masters of the Air, Napoleon etc.

Of course I didn't watch any of them and my trial has expired. I actually did watch Slow Horses though. Which is really good.

Ripley - Netflix

Slow, repetitive and the desire to kill the main character is strong

But somehow I have 2 episodes left.

I am slightly aware of the origin of this ( never bothered to see it back then) and how it differs - I assume pacing is the main difference

The actors are credible and the suspense is built well

It just takes so goddamned long to get there !

Shot in black and white it has a noirish feel to it but it is for those with patience

OJ Simpson: Made in America

I've often thought that he was covering/attempting to cover up for his son. But I reckon (captain obvious moment) he did it.

I’m rewatching Gilmore Girls for probably the 3rd or 4th time. I honestly think it’s an amazing show. Not for everyone of course but to me there’s something special about it. I love the journey the characters go on, their ups and downs, the humour, the music, it’s just got a great blend.

Love it!! That said I haven't done a full rewatch in ages and its a series that I've only gone through 3-4 times, the ladt of which was the year in the life mini series. My last attempt was last year, got up to season 3, but lost track with other life events. I love the humour and how the characters bounce off each other. I often call Supernatural the male version of Gilmore Girls - similar humour etc.

OJ Simpson: Made in America

I've often thought that he was covering/attempting to cover up for his son. But I reckon (captain obvious moment) he did it.

Love it!! That said I haven't done a full rewatch in ages and its a series that I've only gone through 3-4 times, the ladt of which was the year in the life mini series. My last attempt was last year, got up to season 3, but lost track with other life events. I love the humour and how the characters bounce off each other. I often call Supernatural the male version of Gilmore Girls - similar humour etc.
OJ show is great.

There are a few great books on the topic too if you're a reader.

Got a BritBox trial to watch Allo Allo but it's not available in Australia so I've watched a few other shows.

Vigil - Submarine murder espionage etc drama. Usual cast. Must have cost a bit to make and... meh.

Grace - Crime show, John Simm, a hint of occult. Set in Brighton. Binged a season but not drawn back for more.

Ridley - crime show. Adrian Dunbar. I want his house on the shore! Looks a shade above standard so far first episode tonight.

Returning to my comfort show once again- the BBC Pride and Prejudice.

Which one? I presume you mean the Colin Firth one from 1995, but there was an even better one from 1980, written by Fay Weldon.

pride-and-prejudice1980.jpg

Ripley - Netflix

Slow, repetitive and the desire to kill the main character is strong

But somehow I have 2 episodes left.

I am slightly aware of the origin of this ( never bothered to see it back then) and how it differs - I assume pacing is the main difference

The actors are credible and the suspense is built well

It just takes so goddamned long to get there !

Shot in black and white it has a noirish feel to it but it is for those with patience

I watched Ripley. The sloth from zootopia tells a faster story. The riveting tv of him trying to hide a boat and the glorious half n hour of watching him cleaning blood.

The ending is predictable and such a big disappointment.

The whole show is probably a 3 show mini series at a faster level drawn out to 8 by really adding so much uneccessary slow pace. At one stage I thought we are going to watch him buy a coffee, sit there and wait, read the paper, drink his coffee all in real time and no words. It is that slow.

The story itself has so much promise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished Baby Reindeer. Fantastic. 8/10.

Needed an 'easier' watch after that so I've decided to give The Orville a go. Wonder what inspired this show to be made?

Finished 3 Body Problem... it was a pretty good, albeit flawed, show. I like that it swung for the fences with some ambitious ideas but it also had some fundamental problems, like too-convenient story turns for some characters, inconsistencies in the abilities of the antagonist.

It also suffered from trying to present a real world setting but then present events inconsistent with our real world. I think it will benefit from the time jump that is apparently ahead as it becomes full sci-fi rather than a present-day show. I'll stick with it if it gets renewed.

The whole show is probably a 3 show mini series at a faster level drawn out to 8 by really adding so much uneccessary slow pace. At one stage I thought we are going to watch him buy a coffee, sit there and wait, read the paper, drink his coffee all in real time and no words. It is that slow.

I mean, the Talented Mr. Ripley already exists. If you didn't know anything about the character, movies or books going in I can maybe understand this sentiment.

But for mine, this was an incredible piece of television. Maybe the best thing I've seen this year along with Shogun. There was a purpose to every frame - they treated Ripley's forging of documents the same way Better Call Saul treated doc review. The boat scene will forever be etched in my brain.

And the cinematography is the best I've ever seen in the medium, and I say that without hesitation. A simply gorgeous television show.

I mean, the Talented Mr. Ripley already exists. If you didn't know anything about the character, movies or books going in I can maybe understand this sentiment.

But for mine, this was an incredible piece of television. Maybe the best thing I've seen this year along with Shogun. There was a purpose to every frame - they treated Ripley's forging of documents the same way Better Call Saul treated doc review. The boat scene will forever be etched in my brain.

And the cinematography is the best I've ever seen in the medium, and I say that without hesitation. A simply gorgeous television show.

Which boat scene? The one where he is swimming being hit multiple times by the boat and anchor or the one spending 20 minutes trying to sink it. While I dont disagree that there were good parts to it. I dont think you can deny it was stretched out to fill an 8 part series demand though. Great cinematography I agree.

The end was entirely predictable and I only know of the character from the movie which I saw 25 years ago.

Would I say don't watch it? of course not. I actually didn't mind it. But the slow pace is something I dont think served any real purpose to the story.

I am watching the movie now after finishing the series

The TV show is not the best thing this year nor in my top 5 - but I can see what it was trying to achieve

My best idea is it fills in the blanks the movie leaves out ie boat scene all of 5 minutes where it was a whole episode

I stand by my comment and yours that needed to be paced better

Which boat scene? The one where he is swimming being hit multiple times by the boat and anchor or the one spending 20 minutes trying to sink it. While I dont disagree that there were good parts to it. I dont think you can deny it was stretched out to fill an 8 part series demand though. Great cinematography I agree.

The end was entirely predictable and I only know of the character from the movie which I saw 25 years ago.

Would I say don't watch it? of course not. I actually didn't mind it. But the slow pace is something I dont think served any real purpose to the story.

The entire sequence/episode.

But I don't think anything was stretched out here. Steven Zaillian also did the Night Of which was a similarly slow-paced, crime procedural. Like if you're trying to pad out a show you would do it by brining in plot elements or characters, not by honing in on the minutiae of cashing a bank cheque.

That level of detail might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I doubt it was just to fill a series order. If not because of what we know about Zaillian's career, then certainly because of how strikingly different it is to every other Netflix show that's currently popular.

The entire sequence/episode.

But I don't think anything was stretched out here. Steven Zaillian also did the Night Of which was a similarly slow-paced, crime procedural. Like if you're trying to pad out a show you would do it by brining in plot elements or characters, not by honing in on the minutiae of cashing a bank cheque.

That level of detail might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I doubt it was just to fill a series order. If not because of what we know about Zaillian's career, then certainly because of how strikingly different it is to every other Netflix show that's currently popular.
The Night Of was brilliant. I remember hearing or knowing nothing of it when I stumbled upon it years ago. It was the last show I felt compelled to binge in a 24 hour period.

Had very very low expectations and only came across this show because of a few videos on Tiktok.

Really enjoyed it and was surprised by the quality.

Would give this show a 8/10, probably my only gripe is that I wish the episodes were longer and the story fleshed out a bit more. Then again, that may be the reason why I enjoyed it, short, sharp and sweet. :think:

The Night Of was brilliant. I remember hearing or knowing nothing of it when I stumbled upon it years ago. It was the last show I felt compelled to binge in a 24 hour period.
This was great. I loved it.

Had very very low expectations and only came across this show because of a few videos on Tiktok.

Really enjoyed it and was surprised by the quality.

Would give this show a 8/10, probably my only gripe is that I wish the episodes were longer and the story fleshed out a bit more. Then again, that may be the reason why I enjoyed it, short, sharp and sweet. :think:
Brilliant series.

Couldn’t agree more, it’s modern day Hitchcock. Best show of the year so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back