Where are they???

Remove this Banner Ad

I see the appointment of Matthew primus as our captain a move of positive thinking.

Matty is a natural in front of the media, he appeals to the ladies, and the blokes like his tough go through them approach on the footy field.

Even more important is that Matty WANTS the job, he has a strong on-field voice, he has a larger than life, go through brick walls approach and this will only encourage all the juniors that we nedd to have come on for us this season

------------------
Chris

(Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus)

Yes Mattress will be a great captain for our club. He is a great ruckmen and already is a great onfield leader. Wanganeen was good but we didnt see enough of him...he will always lead from the front tho, but Primus is a good man for the job

Making Primus the captain was a great move from the club and hopefully it should have positive results for the club this season. He speaks well to the media and he looks a lot more relaxed in front of a camera than Wanganeen ever did. He's got good voice on the field and he can also lead by example. I will never forget against Carlton last year when he grab the ball out of the ruck contest,got hit high but he didn't stop and play for a free he got a handball to Lyle who found Burgoyne who kicked the winning goal after the siren.

I would have thought that Primus was SO obviously the only choice for the position that it would have been announced months ago.

------------------
TT - Obligatory bad-tempered Richmond supporter

TT get off our board. I think Bluey should ban you from it. The Primus appointment was annouced months ago, but we haven't had our own board until today to talk about it.

Bit touchy aren't we Carb70?

I didn't see anything offensive in that?

------------------

I agree TT, Its the 1st post of yours I have read where your talking about a Port issue and you haven't bagged them. My opinion of you might be changing. You might not be such a bad bloke after all for a Richmond & Glenelg supporter. I let you come on our board only if you promise to say nice things about Port from now on.

Carb70,

I'm not entirely sure that I've gone after Port any worse than Carlton, Collingwood, West Coast, or just about anyone else?

I have no love for the Port Adelaide Football Club or their history, as you know.

But they are one of the 16 clubs in the competition and, unlike one or two other Bigfooty members (I'm referring to several non-Port supporters here), I have a degree of interest in all 16 clubs.

I will continue to bag Port (and everyone else including Richmond at times) on Bigfooty, but I will not bag them here on your own board because that would be extremely poor form.

And, as I said, if Meade is regarded as being past his peak then Primus is THE only obvious choice at Port for the captaincy.

Wanganeen never struck me as having the temperament or personality to be a good captain.

------------------

[This message has been edited by TigerTank (edited 15 January 2001).]

I am happy with Port Adelaides choice of captain.

At first I was a little disappointed that he was chosen because of his Norwood background but in the light of day he is our only choice and in most occassions Port make the right choice so I am happy.

Now my only disappointment is the TV station he is associated with. Although Channel 10 may soon be affiliated with the AFL through Channel 9 and Foxtel you would have to agree that Channel 10 is a complete joke. None of their interviews ever seem to be serious and that is not how we want our club portrayed is it?

Matty please get off Channel 10 and change to Channel 9.

------------------
Port Adelaide Forever

Congratulations Matthew. Leading the Port Adelaide Football Club s a great honour. I am sure you will be up to the task.

When this was announced I read with some amusement that one uncredited Adfartiser hack had penned the lamest of retorts to Primus’s noble assertions that our Club had a proud history of success.

This ground has been covered so often that only the most pre-pubescent Internet novice would find it worth their while to explore it here. To those who are not of Port Adelaide, the Club is a newbie, one that has achieved nothing, not even one finals victory.

But I write this to the Port supporter who knows otherwise. Our Club was the first founded in our state, and for the first 20 years it was the only club that guaranteed in our state the survival of Australian Rules Football . In spite of this, by the turn of the century, Norwood had been dominant, fattened by an influx of ex-Victorian public school boys. In fact, 100 years ago Port Adelaide was bottom.

But they turned it around. In 14 years Port were Champions of Australia, and in 50 years they were on a par with their great adversary, Norwood. In another 100 years they would eventually prove themselves the dominant team in this state and the only one qualified to carry this tradition into the AFL. But it took 100 years!

Now it begins again.

Is this a cause for despondency? Not at all. Rather we should rejoice in the opportunity that is ours for the taking. How do you think out forebears thought, when Port was the first Club in this state, and yet a sorry wooden spooner? Did they have a proud heritage to fall back on? Did they have the cosy comfort zone of an former league in which to seek sanctuary? No! They forged, over generations, a Dynasty of continued achievement. And we, today, are the beneficiaries.

So too must we realise that immediate success is not ours to covet. Like our founding fathers, we must prepare the groundwork for a new Dynasty. This means ignoring the petty slings directed at us about out Club’s current achievements. Remember, we have a grander plan. One that will see our beloved Club not only survive, but increasingly dominate this competition.

And what competition. I am not so self-absorbed that I do not realise that there are more than a handful of proud VFL clubs who have been around for as long as Port, and have earnt respect, from the outset, in the best competition in the nation. Well, I think we can not only match them, but catch them, and surpass them.

And our reward? Not the selfish immediate glory of a Premiership, although, who knows, in these days of drafts, and salary caps, and forced equalisation, who knows? But more realistically, in a new millennium, yet to come, a new generation of Port supporters will bask in the glory of a new era of Port Adelaide success. They too will look back, and realise, I hope, that they owe it all to us.

It is an accolade worth working for.

MH

Matty Primus is so sexy. He's just the best captain any team could have.

All the guys at the Power are so cool. Port's gonna be the Premiers for sure.

Go Matty!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back