Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

All of Us Strangers- now streaming on Disney. Excellent. Beautiful and sad. 9/10. A completely different movie but at the same level as Past Lives.

Iron Claw- like everyone else enjoyed this in spite of no interest in wresting. Good performances. Very good 8/10.

I’ve The Zone of Interest lined up for next weekend but will have to add in a few upbeat movies in between as while they are superb hoo boy they are a lot.

1714311257208.png

Next Goal Wins

A BOG average showing from a talented Director. Took me 3 hours to finish because I kept pausing and finding other things to do. The bones were there for a good movie but it didn't land for me.

5/10

1714311331731.png

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Mutant Mayhem

Don't you love when you slap a movie on randomly and it turns out to be good?! Was surfing Paramount+ as I rarely ever use it and chucked this on. It's a good animated movie. Definitely leans into the Spiderverse style. There's great music. Great animations. Good fun.

7/10

Hidden Figures... had been meaning to watch this for a while. The 'true' story of the largely ignored black women of NASA who helped get John Glenn into space. It's a great story to tell, well acted by all involved, but at the same time the film just screams Oscar bait. There's some really on the nose dialogue, the kind that says 'this is an important civil rights moment' rather than being the kind of thing someone would actually say at the time. There's lots of cliched moments to make you angry (black woman kicked out of library) and cheer (white man knocks down 'coloured toilets sign'). They do make you aware of the absurd and horrible inequalities at the time, but they don't ring true as moments.

It'd also disappointing to read that it's not particularly accurate. I had this thought while watching it that if any place in 1960s America was going to be less segregated, it would be NASA, which had very diverse people working for it and rewarded intelligence. Turns out this is true, most of the worst segregation shown in the movie existed at that time but were not generally experienced by the women at NASA.

Still, it' a good story and good film, just maybe expected a but more. 7/10

9/10 Can't believe I missed this one. Beautiful movie and I absolutely loved Stillers role in this. His acting is superb

I watched this in full properly the other night and it was insanely good. This movie is criminally underated, in part due to being released the same time as The Matrix, and Existenz.

I originally gave it an 8, but I'll give it a 9/10. Cast was solid, storyline was solid and I'll still need to revisit it again to get the full grasp of everything. There's also a very nice easter egg in the last 5 minutes of the film worth watching. It will jump out at you.

Both are severely underrated but great movies in their own right. Definitely a recommended watch.

Freud's Last Session.

tired monday GIF by BrownSugarApp

It still topped the charts, brought part one back into the charts, so maybe they think it worthwhile.

I contributed to this, I watched it even though I thought part one was crap. I'm sorry. But sometimes I eat fast food even though I know it's terrible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hidden Figures... had been meaning to watch this for a while. The 'true' story of the largely ignored black women of NASA who helped get John Glenn into space. It's a great story to tell, well acted by all involved, but at the same time the film just screams Oscar bait. There's some really on the nose dialogue, the kind that says 'this is an important civil rights moment' rather than being the kind of thing someone would actually say at the time. There's lots of cliched moments to make you angry (black woman kicked out of library) and cheer (white man knocks down 'coloured toilets sign'). They do make you aware of the absurd and horrible inequalities at the time, but they don't ring true as moments.

It'd also disappointing to read that it's not particularly accurate. I had this thought while watching it that if any place in 1960s America was going to be less segregated, it would be NASA, which had very diverse people working for it and rewarded intelligence. Turns out this is true, most of the worst segregation shown in the movie existed at that time but were not generally experienced by the women at NASA.

Still, it' a good story and good film, just maybe expected a but more. 7/10
Yeah it's got the white hero trope which is usually a made up character so the audience can "relate"

Standard Hollywood formula where they need to soften it to mild head shaking at a sanitised version of discrimination

I was planning to watch Walter Mitty last night, been on my watch list for ages, saw a couple of good reviews here, only to find my wife had seen it at some point in the past without me. The nerve. Will try to get to it later in the week.
Is a great little feel good movie, not much thought required and beautiful scenery in Iceland.

Watched Alien for the first time last night. Wife and baby are away for a week so trying to get through some big epics that I can have as loud as I like.

Ehhh, it was alright. I can understand (like with Star Wars which I’m also not a big fan of) that if you were a teen in the late 70s that this would be really scary and mind blowing. I don’t think it has dated though, the Alien looks really good due to using costume/animatronics rather than poxy cgi. It’s not my genre but it was good enough.

Watched The Odd Angry Shot the other day. What a ripper, as an ex grunt myself it really resonated with me and I like my War movies either dialogue heavy and off the front line like Jarhead, Tigerland, Buffalo Soldiers or exceptionally made action like Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan. This movie is definitely the former and doesn’t try and be a strong anti war statement like Platoon or anything.

Makes the two crown lager stubbies I was rationed on Christmas Day when I was deployed look pretty sad in comparison the way those boys threw back the cans in their tents though!

Watched Alien for the first time last night. Wife and baby are away for a week so trying to get through some big epics that I can have as loud as I like.

Ehhh, it was alright. I can understand (like with Star Wars which I’m also not a big fan of) that if you were a teen in the late 70s that this would be really scary and mind blowing. I don’t think it has dated though, the Alien looks really good due to using costume/animatronics rather than poxy cgi. It’s not my genre but it was good enough.

Watched The Odd Angry Shot the other day. What a ripper, as an ex grunt myself it really resonated with me and I like my War movies either dialogue heavy and off the front line like Jarhead, Tigerland, Buffalo Soldiers or exceptionally made action like Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan. This movie is definitely the former and doesn’t try and be a strong anti war statement like Platoon or anything.

Makes the two crown lager stubbies I was rationed on Christmas Day when I was deployed look pretty sad in comparison the way those boys threw back the cans in their tents though!
I think Alien does a bit more than just that. Sets the standard for a lot of what horror would become and gave us a genuine female heroine opposed to a last girl.

All of Us Strangers- now streaming on Disney. Excellent. Beautiful and sad. 9/10. A completely different movie but at the same level as Past Lives.

Iron Claw- like everyone else enjoyed this in spite of no interest in wresting. Good performances. Very good 8/10.

I’ve The Zone of Interest lined up for next weekend but will have to add in a few upbeat movies in between as while they are superb hoo boy they are a lot.
Definitely get something light in the mix - The Zone of Interest is punishing.

Definitely get something light in the mix - The Zone of Interest is punishing.
Yeah it is, but it's very well done. There was a certain detachment that ran as a theme that left you walking away from the experience feeling a little numb, but very sick. Both emotionally and physically. Punishing is a great adjective.

Just make sure you have the sound up for Zone of Interest. The background audio adds to it.

It still topped the charts, brought part one back into the charts, so maybe they think it worthwhile.

I contributed to this, I watched it even though I thought part one was crap. I'm sorry. But sometimes I eat fast food even though I know it's terrible.
Fast food is maybe terrible for you but maybe it can taste ok? Maybe it hits those cravings for sugar/sat/fat?

To my understand, these films aren't even that, they aren't even so bad they're good territory. They're just bad, they activate no pleasure centres of the brain and have no guilty pleasure factor.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

The kid is currently addicted to Bee Movie on Netflix.

It's pretty decent I reckon for a kids movie. The animation looks cheap, or maybe it just looks old, but the story and dialogue is sharp enough, Seinfeld as a writer and actor does elevate it a bit and it's quite watchable as an adult.

8/10.

The kid is currently addicted to Bee Movie on Netflix.

It's pretty decent I reckon for a kids movie. The animation looks cheap, or maybe it just looks old, but the story and dialogue is sharp enough, Seinfeld as a writer and actor does elevate it a bit and it's quite watchable as an adult.

8/10.

Good movie

Alot of Seinfeld actors are in it too

Would have to be 20 years old now

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back