Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

In preparation of watching her new film, I watched the last two Alice Rohrwacher films. One of the best directors over the last decade, she’s brought a magic realism back to Italian cinema.

The Wonders (2014) - about a family of beekeepers, and the eldest daughter following her father in the business who enters their produce in a reality show that sees farmers compete for their produce. The father brings on a juvenile delinquent to help work on the farm, and who becomes the object of interest of his daughter. Quietly moving and beautiful.

Happy as Lazzaro (2018) - Lazzaro is a young man who works with his family on a tobacco farm on a secluded island. He and his family are borderline indentured servitude, acting as sharecroppers to a tobacco baroness who runs the farm. Her bored son befriends Lazarro and has him assist in faking his kidnapping so he could ransom his mother. There’s an enormous twist that occurs midway through this film that takes it from borderline neorealism into something stranger. It is a beautiful film.

La Chimera (2023) - currently at the cinema, starring Josh O’Connor (also currently in cinemas with Challengers, on quite a run) and Isabella Rossellini. He’s a British archaeologist who runs afoul of the Italian authorities, with a gang of dodgy treasure hunters looking to make a buck rather than have any sort of appreciation of the astounding Etruscan treasures they discover. I found this absolutely enchanting, and one of my favourites of the year at the cinema so far.

It takes the whole movie to pay off but inside man is pretty epic. The town and the dark knight spring to mind as well (noting we’re keeping it exclusively bank)
They're all good, but none are as good as heat. It's a level all on its own.

Point break probably has my favourites outside of heat and dark knight (mostly due to it being our heath as the joker intro) . They probably can't compete technically with the newer films, but the ex presidents hold a special place in my heart.

Civil War

Say what you want about Alex Garland's movies, he is trying to do something different and original each time. One thing that is consistent is the cinematography and a knack for interesting, creepy imagery (see: Jesse Plemons' glasses). Some cool needle drops and juxtaposition with the music choices.

This movie definitely has a point of view, it just very deliberately tries not to show you what it is. It's an entertaining and at times disturbing ride, but the lead characters are pretty thinly drawn and I had a hard time investing in their motivations by the end.

Certainly an enjoyable little dystopian war flick, even if some things left me a little cold.

7/10

P.s it's interesting to hear Alex Garland say he wants to take step back from directing. You can kinda feel in his movies that he is running out of juice as a filmmaker. In Ex Machina and Annihilation the ideas were really curious and exploratory, whereas lately it feels a bit... forced? Devs was great though.

I've had a very tough and emotional week so a friend recommended that I watch Set It Up as a mindless rom com that wouldn't need much thought. It was a schpot on recommendation! It's cute and easy to watch. Plus Glen Powell is a hot dork and that works for me.

I've had a very tough and emotional week so a friend recommended that I watch Set It Up as a mindless rom com that wouldn't need much thought. It was a schpot on recommendation! It's cute and easy to watch. Plus Glen Powell is a hot dork and that works for me.
GLENN POWELL SEASON IS COMING!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fall Guy - The first hour was weird and it felt like i was watching Gosling and Blunt be themselves but the 2nd half of the movie was quite good and I really ended up enjoying it by the end.

It was a lot of fun and I have to be ‘encouraged’ to go to movies

na-grebne-volny-1991-angl-yazyk-4k-uhd-blu-ray-992069.jpg

fantastic movie, looks good in 4K!

Challengers - Feels like its been a minute that we've seen a studio film that mixes sexy with a compelling drama/characters. The odd occasion we've seen it before, usually only manages the former. The transfixing back and forth between this complicated love triangle that mimics the tension of a tennis match with some brilliant filmmaking was a blast to watch. The final 10 mins had me grinning like an idiot. Pulsating score by Reznor and Ross. 8/10

La Chimera - Some films just speak to you in a way in which you can't really articulate. A group of ragtag Italian grave-robbers plunder tombs for ancient artefacts - for money, the adventure, something ethereal? Led, somewhat unwillingly, by Josh O'Connor - in a role that is quite the opposite from his Challengers character. Says a lot without saying much at all. 9.5/10

9/10 Can't believe I missed this one. Beautiful movie and I absolutely loved Stillers role in this. His acting is superb

I watched this in full properly the other night and it was insanely good. This movie is criminally underated, in part due to being released the same time as The Matrix, and Existenz.

I originally gave it an 8, but I'll give it a 9/10. Cast was solid, storyline was solid and I'll still need to revisit it again to get the full grasp of everything. There's also a very nice easter egg in the last 5 minutes of the film worth watching. It will jump out at you.

Wasn't sure if I'd rated this before, my IMDB says I hadn't

I was torn between 6 and 7/10 but felt like the finish was done rather poorly. I quite enjoyed the direction of the movie but some of the acting was sub par. I wasn't sold by the whole rapid reveal.

Worth a watch at least once.

Interesting that Moonfall which I rated well was polarizing between critics and public. I get that it's a binary system for critics but still just proves how boring critics are.

1714239058381.png

Last edited:
Movie Marathon

American Ultra - Netflix 7.5/10

Jesse Eisenberg and Kristen Stewart star in this thinly veiled Jason Bourne style Dark Comedy - though the comedy is fairly muted (unlike say Deadpool)

Stoner Mike and his girlfriend live in a small town and Mike has so many anxieties even dope and acid dont help and then someone tries to kill him

Fairly straightforward with appropriate ninja moves happening. Fairly inoffensive and run of the mill film that will hardly stretch the brain cells

Followed by 2 of the Eastern 711 films

Unbreakable - Netflix 8/10

It had been so long since I saw this it was a brand new movie to me. Given Bruces current issues its ironic him being the unbreakable one of the title

But again a really good movie with a good supporting cast in Samuel L Jackson and Robin Wright Penn and directed by M Knight Shyamalam

At the time I first saw it I looked back on my life and found myself identifying with Bruce over SLJ - No broken bones, no major illnesses rarely missed a day etc

The ending is or was for me telegraphed about 5 minutes before the reveal and it works

The second movie in the trilogy by M Knight was

Split - Prime 8/10

Its only real connection to the Unbreakable is the director and the idea that in each of us is an alternate person who can do amazing things if they put their mind to it

Well James Mcavoy puts 23 minds to it . Its Split as in split personality or the use of DID Dissociative Identity Disorder

The story revolves around the kidnapping of 3 girls and their attempts to deal with the differing personalities to try and escape and the psychiatrist who is helping Dennis

McAvoy is mostly brilliant and Anya Taylor Joy as one of the kidnapped girl gives a great performance - her side story is included

Will watch the final movie Glass tomorrow night
I watched Unbreakable this time last year for the first time. It was interesting but I got bored part way through.

The Fall Guy… it’s the kinda movie that’s been missing from the big screen for a while, a light, breezy action film aimed at adults that’s not part of a blockbuster franchise (albeit based on a 80s TV show). I would have said mid-budget but it cost $125m (which may be mid-budget compared to $250m blockbusters).

Anyway, really good fun, Gosling and Blunt have good chemistry, the action is fun, it’s creatively filmed. I’d say 7.5 out of 10 but probably give it other half point for being a perfect date night movie with the wife and the kids left at home. It does hold appeal to men and women.

The Fall Guy… it’s the kinda movie that’s been missing from the big screen for a while, a light, breezy action film aimed at adults that’s not part of a blockbuster franchise (albeit based on a 80s TV show). I would have said mid-budget but it cost $125m (which may be mid-budget compared to $250m blockbusters).

Anyway, really good fun, Gosling and Blunt have good chemistry, the action is fun, it’s creatively filmed. I’d say 7.5 out of 10 but probably give it other half point for being a perfect date night movie with the wife and the kids left at home. It does hold appeal to men and women.

Clint Eastwood the actor used to own this genre - the comedy clint

Remove this Banner Ad

Back