Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

I reviewed this a few pages back. It's a bad Taika movie and a bad sports movie. Really average.
Between this (which I haven't seen) and the last Thor movie (which I have), it seems like he's had a couple of disappointing movies in a row. Bit of a shame given that he never really missed before that, and his previous one, JoJo Rabbit, was exceptional.

Biosphere- two men are trapped in a bio dome after the end of the world. A dramedy that’s not quite good enough at either to be a great movie. A frustratingly ambiguous ending. It gets a pass because of some worthy exploration of themes that I can’t mention as it would give away the plot. 5/10.

Last edited:
It is perfectly coherent for me and I have the fun as well so it works for me. I am sure the reverse is true with other content.
And that's perfectly fair :thumbsu: I hated Godzilla vs Kong and only went to see the new one because it was school holidays and I had a feeling my son would like it, which he did, so it's still not money wasted.

Blackberry... another in the corporate origin stories (Tetris, Air), this one is about the rise and fall of the Blackberry phone. Casting comic actors Jay Baruchel and Glen Howerton (always Sunny) both wearing unconvincing costumes isn't a great start and a lot of the filming techniques seem borrowed from The Office. There's also not much more to the story than an innovative company that was ultimately superseded by a superior product, with a little corporate malfeasance thrown in. Yet despite that, it's really watchable, amusing at times, the performances are good and you learn a couple of things along the way. 7.5/10

Between this (which I haven't seen) and the last Thor movie (which I have), it seems like he's had a couple of disappointing movies in a row. Bit of a shame given that he never really missed before that, and his previous one, JoJo Rabbit, was exceptional.
Unpopular opinion but I thought jjr was boring as batshit. Can't understand how people went crazy over it.

yeah same, Jojo Rabbit was easily the worst thing I’ve seen from him. Rather enjoyed Love & Thunder, one of the better blockbusters to me in the early 2020s. Feel like he maybe got overrated for a bit in the mid-late 2010s and then had this overcorrecting backlash, particularly stateside who treated him like a fashionable trend that was apparently funny for a hot minute then went stale for them and then wanted to discard and move on to the next hip thing.

Last edited:
First time I watched JoJo Rabbit I turned it off.

2nd time I loved it. Strange.

I'm a huge Waititi fan though. Dude just makes movies that resonate with me. Hunt for the Wilderpeople is a masterpiece.

Thought JoJo Rabbit was great myself, Boy is a beautiful gem, Ragnarok is great and I didn't mind Love and Thunder for all its flaws, but I am not invested in Marvel characters as much as some and don't care if they diverge from the traditional character. Have just added What We Do in the Shadows to my watchlist but can't currently find Hunt for the Wilderpeople anywhere.

He's a good filmmaker and unique voice, which is always good to have, Next Goal Wins just happened to be crap.

Thought JoJo Rabbit was great myself, Boy is a beautiful gem, Ragnarok is great and I didn't mind Love and Thunder for all its flaws, but I am not invested in Marvel characters as much as some and don't care if they diverge from the traditional character. Have just added What We Do in the Shadows to my watchlist but can't currently find Hunt for the Wilderpeople anywhere.

He's a good filmmaker and unique voice, which is always good to have, Next Goal Wins just happened to be crap.
I loved Boy, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Ragnarok and JoJo Rabbit. Love and Thunder was typical of pretty much all the post-Endgame Marvel movies (except maybe the Spider Man ones) - they're kind of entertaining while you watch them, but 24 hours later you can't remember a thing about them. Just so bland. And I guess that's not unique to Taika's - it's the same for all the others... Eternals, GotG3, and whatever other ones they've done that I can't even remember.

well maybe MCU had its own overcorrection like Taika. They were always bland and forgettable but fun. There was never an MCU film Id consider in the top 10 of that year or anything y’know. The original Iron Man & Avengers were ok, nothing more. Some of them hit the sweet spot and were rewatchable, most are merely alright for a watch or two (generally with a promising start and dull finale), all are product, you get attached and invested in some characters and keep abreast of the others.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well maybe MCU had its own overcorrection like Taika. They were always bland and forgettable but fun. There was never an MCU film Id consider in the top 10 of that year or anything y’know. The original Iron Man & Avengers were ok, nothing more. Some of them hit the sweet spot and were rewatchable, most are merely alright for a watch or two (generally with a promising start and dull finale), all are product, you get attached and invested in some characters and keep abreast of the others.
The Winter Soldier is a pretty damn good spy film.

Rebel Moon. Maybe the most gorgeous piece of s**t ive ever seen. All that production value, not a cent spent on the script. The acting so bad I doubt there was a second take in the entire film.

Rebel Moon. Maybe the most gorgeous piece of s**t ive ever seen. All that production value, not a cent spent on the script. The acting so bad I doubt there was a second take in the entire film.

Haha. The first RMwill be a cult classic up there with Killer Tomatoes and the Boy with Green Hair. I see the sequel is on Netflix and will watch. Fully expecting another lol worthy turkey.

Warhammer 40k, but worse.

Civil War - absolute trash. Aims for social commentary but absolutely fails. I don't think it's possible to take this incendiary topic (especially in the current context) and remove it of political commentary. At best this feels like a cheap out and a refusal to take a stand that could be controversial and put off a section of the audience. It doesn't work at all on this level, and so best one could hope for is a quality trashy disaster movie. But it lacks the fun for that, is rife with cliche and only has one scene that truly works (the Jesse Plemons scene is by far the highlight of the movie). It's very well acted, but is so intellectually incurious as to be insulting.

I also did a bit of a deep dive of the films of Kelly Reichardt. Arguably the greatest female American director, her films are slow and minimal slices of realist life. I watched Old Joy, Wendy and Lucy, Meek's Cutoff, Certain Women, First Cow and Showing Up. Beautiful experiences all, and if their world view can be depressing it can also be beautiful and profound. Reichardt loves the Pacific Northwest, and her films all look beautiful and there's a real Malick-like love of nature. It was a sometimes depressing, always lovely trip into her world.

The Flash… bit of a mess, this one. First up, how can Batman action scenes look so bad in 2023 compared to ones filmed in 2005? Scratch that, I know the answer, practical effects will always look better than CGI. Reckon the opening fight scene aged before the film finished on opening day.

This goes on too long, Ezra Miller isn’t really up to making the emotional beats hit, the action is too cartoony, Michael Shannon clearly just seeing out his contract. The whole first half is a bit over the shop but the second half at least comes together a bit storywise. A decent finale but then it just kinda ends and the post-credit scene is bizarre.

6/10

Civil War - absolute trash. Aims for social commentary but absolutely fails. I don't think it's possible to take this incendiary topic (especially in the current context) and remove it of political commentary. At best this feels like a cheap out and a refusal to take a stand that could be controversial and put off a section of the audience. It doesn't work at all on this level, and so best one could hope for is a quality trashy disaster movie. But it lacks the fun for that, is rife with cliche and only has one scene that truly works (the Jesse Plemons scene is by far the highlight of the movie). It's very well acted, but is so intellectually incurious as to be insulting.

I also did a bit of a deep dive of the films of Kelly Reichardt. Arguably the greatest female American director, her films are slow and minimal slices of realist life. I watched Old Joy, Wendy and Lucy, Meek's Cutoff, Certain Women, First Cow and Showing Up. Beautiful experiences all, and if their world view can be depressing it can also be beautiful and profound. Reichardt loves the Pacific Northwest, and her films all look beautiful and there's a real Malick-like love of nature. It was a sometimes depressing, always lovely trip into her world.
Really enjoyed First Cow, will get around to Meek's Cutoff and Showing Up one day.

Thinking about going to see Civil War as I've heard it needs the big screen, but I'm nervous (especially now!). Loved Garland's early work but thought the social commentary in MEN was pretty inept as well.

Really enjoyed First Cow, will get around to Meek's Cutoff and Showing Up one day.

Thinking about going to see Civil War as I've heard it needs the big screen, but I'm nervous (especially now!). Loved Garland's early work but thought the social commentary in MEN was pretty inept as well.

Showing Up and Certain Women are both on Netflix, which helps. Most of the rest were on Kanopy - I only needed to expand my search for Wendy & Lucy.

In some very faint praise for Civil War - it's better than Men.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back