Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Moonfall 6/10

I would have preferred some more comedy to make this film work. Haley was by far the best performer. Wilson was better in Hard Candy. It's a poor version of Armageddon.

I felt it's components were too predictable but saved itself with the interesting concept

The in movie advertising was out of control

Last edited:
Movie Marathon

American Ultra - Netflix 7.5/10

Jesse Eisenberg and Kristen Stewart star in this thinly veiled Jason Bourne style Dark Comedy - though the comedy is fairly muted (unlike say Deadpool)

Stoner Mike and his girlfriend live in a small town and Mike has so many anxieties even dope and acid dont help and then someone tries to kill him

Fairly straightforward with appropriate ninja moves happening. Fairly inoffensive and run of the mill film that will hardly stretch the brain cells

Followed by 2 of the Eastern 711 films

Unbreakable - Netflix 8/10

It had been so long since I saw this it was a brand new movie to me. Given Bruces current issues its ironic him being the unbreakable one of the title

But again a really good movie with a good supporting cast in Samuel L Jackson and Robin Wright Penn and directed by M Knight Shyamalam

At the time I first saw it I looked back on my life and found myself identifying with Bruce over SLJ - No broken bones, no major illnesses rarely missed a day etc

The ending is or was for me telegraphed about 5 minutes before the reveal and it works

The second movie in the trilogy by M Knight was

Split - Prime 8/10

Its only real connection to the Unbreakable is the director and the idea that in each of us is an alternate person who can do amazing things if they put their mind to it

Well James Mcavoy puts 23 minds to it . Its Split as in split personality or the use of DID Dissociative Identity Disorder

The story revolves around the kidnapping of 3 girls and their attempts to deal with the differing personalities to try and escape and the psychiatrist who is helping Dennis

McAvoy is mostly brilliant and Anya Taylor Joy as one of the kidnapped girl gives a great performance - her side story is included

Will watch the final movie Glass tomorrow night

First time I watched JoJo Rabbit I turned it off.

2nd time I loved it. Strange.

I'm a huge Waititi fan though. Dude just makes movies that resonate with me. Hunt for the Wilderpeople is a masterpiece.
Its funny, invariably it has happened to me as well.

With certain movies, you have to be in the right head space and time of day to watch and enjoy them.

Someone has been watching Argo.

Saw a Toyota hybrid with the plates, "ARGOFY" 😅😅
Can confirm the validity of this post. lol :D
The Flash… bit of a mess, this one. First up, how can Batman action scenes look so bad in 2023 compared to ones filmed in 2005? Scratch that, I know the answer, practical effects will always look better than CGI. Reckon the opening fight scene aged before the film finished on opening day.

This goes on too long, Ezra Miller isn’t really up to making the emotional beats hit, the action is too cartoony, Michael Shannon clearly just seeing out his contract. The whole first half is a bit over the shop but the second half at least comes together a bit storywise. A decent finale but then it just kinda ends and the post-credit scene is bizarre.

6/10
Actually re-watched The Flash last week, while I did enjoy it the 2nd time around, definitely agree with your comment, its a bit all over the place. Its a shame really, they had the ingredients for a solid movie.

One reason that a 2005 Batman action scenes (Dark Knight Trilogy) are better and a far superior quality is simple, Christopher Nolan. Christian Bale and Hans Zimmer.

I actually thought the post credit scene did make sense, because he changed the past, ie with his father being seen on the video camera and therefore a small change led to the rippling effect of George Clooney's Batman existing. Far fetched, but that was my understanding.

Thanksgiving (2023) - Directed by Eli Roth, this slasher comedy is similar to the Scream movies or going back some years, the now largely forgotten 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' movies from the late 1990s but has plenty of original ideas of its own and no shortage of action, thrills and scares that make it a great movie, and I highly recommend it.

However, have you ever watched a horror movie (or a disaster or action movie) and wondered why one particular character was singled out for such a brutal and shocking death? I don't want to spoil the plot too much, but in this movie the brutality of the deaths seems to correlate with how much of a role that they undertook in the incident that started the murders, which in this case was a riot at a department store the evening before the Black Friday sales the previous year in which a number of people were killed and seriously injured.

For example, a Karen and a bully who were instrumental in starting the riot and showed no remorse for their actions suffer brutal, drawn-out death scenes, and two others whose involvement were cowardice and greed respectively are given spectacular but very quick death scenes. However, one of the female characters while obviously flawed - she is a spoiled rich Daddy's girl - was given the second most graphic and sadistic death scenes and is terrorized prior to her death. But while clearly pampered by her wealthy father and definitely shallow and somewhat vain, she is not a spoiled brat. Her role in the riot was minimal, she attempted to stop one of her group inflaming the situation, showed remorse for what happened and otherwise is a loyal and good friend. Why her death was so graphic and went against the correlation is hard to say.

Movie Marathon

American Ultra - Netflix 7.5/10

Jesse Eisenberg and Kristen Stewart star in this thinly veiled Jason Bourne style Dark Comedy - though the comedy is fairly muted (unlike say Deadpool)

Stoner Mike and his girlfriend live in a small town and Mike has so many anxieties even dope and acid dont help and then someone tries to kill him

Fairly straightforward with appropriate ninja moves happening. Fairly inoffensive and run of the mill film that will hardly stretch the brain cells

Followed by 2 of the Eastern 711 films

Unbreakable - Netflix 8/10

It had been so long since I saw this it was a brand new movie to me. Given Bruces current issues its ironic him being the unbreakable one of the title

But again a really good movie with a good supporting cast in Samuel L Jackson and Robin Wright Penn and directed by M Knight Shyamalam

At the time I first saw it I looked back on my life and found myself identifying with Bruce over SLJ - No broken bones, no major illnesses rarely missed a day etc

The ending is or was for me telegraphed about 5 minutes before the reveal and it works

The second movie in the trilogy by M Knight was

Split - Prime 8/10

Its only real connection to the Unbreakable is the director and the idea that in each of us is an alternate person who can do amazing things if they put their mind to it

Well James Mcavoy puts 23 minds to it . Its Split as in split personality or the use of DID Dissociative Identity Disorder

The story revolves around the kidnapping of 3 girls and their attempts to deal with the differing personalities to try and escape and the psychiatrist who is helping Dennis

McAvoy is mostly brilliant and Anya Taylor Joy as one of the kidnapped girl gives a great performance - her side story is included

Will watch the final movie Glass tomorrow night
Glass - Netflix 8/10

The 3rd movie of the Eastern 711 Trilogy - you CAN watch Unbreakable and Split as individual movies and walk away - but you CANT watch Glass without watching BOTH of the previous 2

Glass brings everything together of Samuel Jacksons theory of a superhero in all of us. It delves further into the idea of comic book lore just being true events told as myth

All the actors in this were on point and the story was ok. Slight grumble about how it wrapped up but ehh

I did squeal like a fangirl when thinking of the Bruce Willis possibly fighting at Osaka Tower

Thought JoJo Rabbit was great myself, Boy is a beautiful gem, Ragnarok is great and I didn't mind Love and Thunder for all its flaws, but I am not invested in Marvel characters as much as some and don't care if they diverge from the traditional character. Have just added What We Do in the Shadows to my watchlist but can't currently find Hunt for the Wilderpeople anywhere.

He's a good filmmaker and unique voice, which is always good to have, Next Goal Wins just happened to be crap.

Wilderpeople is defs on Amazon to rent

Wilderpeople is defs on Amazon to rent
I meant for free. I feel like I have enough streaming services I should be able to find anything :tearsofjoy:

Rebel Moon: Part 2- The Scargiver aka Too many titles. It's a turkey and Snyder's a hack. I remember when word broke that Lucasfilm had rejected his pitch for an R-rated Star Wars and some people thought it was more evidence the place was being poorly run. Instead, it looks like they read the script.

Snyder doesn't know how to craft a coherent story. In the first film, they literally had to collect six warriors and had the main character go on six unrelated side quests and thought that represented solid origin work. This time, he literally has the six main characters sit around a table and 'tell their story' so we know why they all hate the Empire (I mean, Motherworld). This, he thinks, is solid character work.

The story is boring and cliched, the acting and writing weak, there's no emotional connection to any of the characters so no weight to the story. The action towards the end at least gets decent enough to add a point or two. 3/10

And don't get me started on simple worlds that harvest wheat by hand but have hover sleds or technologically advanced space ships with a crank handle wheel to aim the Death Star (I mean Dreadnought).

Last edited:
Argylle. As soon as Mrs B suggested it I silently groaned thinking of all the brickbats it's received in here. I reluctantly agreed not wanting to be a negative Nelly.

Sure enough though..

Jurassic Park Poop GIF by Vidiots

I meant for free. I feel like I have enough streaming services I should be able to find anything :tearsofjoy:

Rebel Moon: Part 2- The Scargiver aka Too many titles. It's a turkey and Snyder's a hack. I remember when word broke that Lucasfilm had rejected his pitch for an R-rated Star Wars and some people thought it was more evidence the place was being poorly run. Instead, it looks like they read the script.

Snyder doesn't know how to craft a coherent story. In the first film, they literally had to collect six warriors and had the main character go on six unrelated side quests and thought that represented solid origin work. This time, he literally has the six main characters sit around a table and 'tell their story' so we know why they all hate the Empire (I mean, Motherworld). This, he thinks, is solid character work.

The story is boring and cliched, the acting and writing weak, there's no emotional connection to any of the characters so no weight to the story. The action towards the end at least gets decent enough to add a point or two. 3/10

And don't get me started on simple worlds that harvest wheat by hand but have hover sleds or technologically advanced space ships with a crank handle wheel to aim to Death Star (I mean Dreadnought).
This pretty much sums it up. Hell, he even had them harvesting wheat in slow motion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Civil War

Didn't mind this... not great but worth watching. A bit lacking in plot - it's a road movie, basically a series of vignettes of things that happen along the way. I guess the plot, such as it is, is the progressing civil war, and that's kind of happening around the characters rather than being driven or influenced by them. As journalists photographers they're just trying to capture the specific moments without trying to intervene or make judgements of their own.

The combat scenes are very good, but the lack of bigger picture background context makes it hard to understand the stakes. I can understand why Alex Garland did it this way - he's trying to keep it completely politically neutral both to avoid accusations of partisan bias and also to reflect the way the journalist characters attempt to be neutral. But the characters would at least have the context around the events, which we don't get. Not understanding how the civil war started or what sort of ideology is driving each side (other than basically union vs secessionists) means that you don't really know what the consequences are if either side defeats the other. And again, that may be part of the point, not wanting to paint either side as "good" or "bad", he doesn't want the audience to focus on who wins or loses or who is perceived as good or bad but rather the disintegration of the nation and society as the result of the conflict. But it does keeps the audience at a distance - I felt more disconnected from this than I do from most movies I watch.

Love Lies Bleeding - set in 1989, featuring Kristen Stewart as a gym manager who falls for a woman training there while passing through town on her way to a bodybuilding competition. But slowly they get dragged into the web of the crime family Stewart has come from, particularly sleazy brother-in-law Dave Franco and the crimelord father Ed Harris. This was pretty enjoyable! The performances are pretty uniformly great - Stewart continues to show that criticism of her acting is unfair and Harris reminds that he can do menace as good as anyone. Overall, better than the recent Ethan Coen lesbian thriller, even though he has far more clout than the promising director behind this, Rose Glass.

Challengers - I was surprised by how glowing the reviews for this were, a movie that I thought looked like standard Hollywood fare (despite the accomplished director of Call Me by Your Name). I probably put my views somewhere between the two - a movie I liked quite a lot without quite blowing me away. The sexy scenes were sexy, the tension in the tennis scenes (not a sport that easily translates to cinema, historically) was well built, the Reznor/Ross score was terrific. It lacked that extra something but it was a good time (aside the man who came in to the cinema two minutes after it began, sat immediately behind me in the middle of the cinema and stunk of urine - my friend and I were among about a dozen who moved seats but his sitting so central meant it would occasionally waft over. Horrific cinema experience).

Un chant d'amour (1950) - the author and playwright Jean Genet's single foray into cinema is this 25 minute film, banned in numerous countries at the time, depicting the sexual fantasies of a gay prisoner and his prison guard. It is quite surprisingly explicit at points (even without the addition of "for 1950"), but truly beautifully filmed - Genet is equally adept at the poetry of cinema as he is the poetry of text, and it's a shame he didn't work in the medium more.

Symbiopsychotaxiplasm: Take One (1968) - a couple walking through Central Park have an argument, but it soon is revealed that they are being filmed by a crew and are doing a screen test. Other couples are depicted having the same argument. The director discusses the scene with the actors, and the crew has discussions with and without him about the nature of the film they are working on. There's also depictions of the second crew that's filming the documentary about the crew filming the film. It's a movie that's very 1968 in its revolutionary force, and reminded me of a kind of documentary version of 2008's Synecdoche New York. A film I'm sure will reveal more and more on future viewings.

I watched The Flash again recently, and I have to admit I do like this movie. It's funny, has some good set pieces (action scenes), and the callbacks to past DC superheroes and who played them in TV/film were superb. Some of the CGI is a bit naff in parts, but it wasn't horrendously bad. I think this film was very underrated due to the troubled star of the movie.

Believe it or not Heat was mine and now it's one of my favourite films!
Heat is a masterpiece and the 3hours literally flies, I have said it on here before on here arguably the best bank robbery scene I have ever seen in any movie.

Dont get me started on the De Niro Pacino coffee scene.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back