Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
sign of things to come in 2010

Monday's Bendigo game moved to Windy Hill
Wednesday, 3 June 2009
Craig Rowston for essendonfc.com.au
Page 1 of 1

The Bendigo Bombers' Queen's Birthday game will now be played at Windy Hill at 2pm on Monday 9th June 2009. The change in venue was made after an independent ground inspection at the QEO in Bendigo concluded that, at this stage, it is unsuitable for VFL football.

The Bendigo Bombers are very disappointed they cannot play their next home game in Bendigo. The club has also been informed that no future VFL games will be played on the QEO until such time as it is deemed as being up to VFL standards.

The Bendigo Bombers have committed to working closely with the City of Greater Bendigo to support their endeavors to bring the ground back up to the required level and to explore the possibilities of any alternative venues that may be up to the required standard. The Bendigo Bombers have apologised for any inconvenience this may cause to any of its sponsors and supporters.

The Bendigo Bombers take on the Box Hill Hawks on Monday with the reserves starting at 11.15am and the main game at 2pm. Free entry on presentation of your EFC membership

How do the Bendigo Bombers expect to get the support of the Bendigo football community when they continue not to tell the truth.
Reported today they say that the game next Monday has been transferred to Melbourne as a result of a ground inspection that was carried out on Tuesday 2nd June. Then why did the umpires get notified Thursday 28th May that the game has been trasferred.

Sorry, I should have said the so called inspection was done on Monday 1st June, my apologies.

It seems that the move to the drought tolerant cooch in the summer may have been a bad move. Th ground looks like crap as the grass tends to turn yellow in the winter months. Its all about perception sometimes.

How do you know the umpires were notified 4 days before the decision?, I find that a little hard to believe BFL.

It seems that the move to the drought tolerant cooch in the summer may have been a bad move. Th ground looks like crap as the grass tends to turn yellow in the winter months. Its all about perception sometimes.

How do you know the umpires were notified 4 days before the decision?, I find that a little hard to believe BFL.

The QEO has always been a ground that has chopped up badly and become very muddy. I am not sure whe the City of Greater Bendigo have not been able to stop this from happening

I know the umpires were notified on Friday 29th May at 2:24pm, sorry I previously stated Thursday 28th May via text message because I viewed the message sent to one of the Goal umpires.

I'm a supporter of one of the above clubs. What do you want me to say? If I say we're going well someone might accuse me of being smug or arrogant. I'd rather avoid the aggravation.

ha ha ha...Sounds like you're easily aggravated Pale man, without any help from BigFooty!!

All I was asking was some input on the Bendigo footy league by supporters from Bendigo footy clubs. That sounds reasonable to me. And if you're a South / Square supporter, you've got very right to be pleased. Any news of interest?

How do the Bendigo Bombers expect to get the support of the Bendigo football community when they continue not to tell the truth.
Reported today they say that the game next Monday has been transferred to Melbourne as a result of a ground inspection that was carried out on Tuesday 2nd June. Then why did the umpires get notified Thursday 28th May that the game has been trasferred.

That was why I dropped the Bombers membership...

Every year it would promise so many games at the QEO.
Then they would move at least 2.

That was why I dropped the Bombers membership...

Every year it would promise so many games at the QEO.
Then they would move at least 2.
mmmm....public holiday, potentially large drawing crowd against an AFL aligned club with some Hawks players set to comeback into the VFL for AFL preparations - I know why don't we pull the game away from Bendigo and cash in on it down at Windy Hill - we'll just say that the QEO isn't up to scratch (again), and those Bendigo folk will be none the wiser....

call me cynical but this sounds like de ja vu, when Buckley was all set to play for Williamstown against the Bombers here at the QEO, then all of the sudden the match was shifted to Windy Hill 'coz the QEO wasn't up to scratch ! The sooner this town rids of the Essendon (not Bendigo) Bombers the better for all !! Let the Bombers have their stand alone VFL side like Geelong and Collingwood - they are already doing it now, no use hiding the fact about it.....

Morning everyone... this seems topical so I'll post it. In the Age this morning. This is the first time I have read an article on this topic where Essendon coaches are so openly against the arrangement. The smoke and mirrors have gone, it seems. Bendigo needs VFL, but this arrangement has never worked. Back to the drawing board.

Essendon considers dumping Bendigo

REALFOOTY The Age, Brent Diamond | June 4, 2009

ESSENDON appears likely to ditch its VFL partner, the Bendigo Bombers, and enter a stand-alone team in the competition next season.

The Dons, whose affiliation with Bendigo expires at the end of the season, are expected to join Geelong and Collingwood as stand-alone VFL clubs. It is a decision that would put Bendigo at risk of folding in the VFL due to its shallow talent pool. "We've been looking at different models and stand-alone is one of them," Essendon football manager Paul Hamilton said.
"Our first aim is to review what our options are and we're in discussions with our Bendigo group, that's where we're at at the moment."

It is understood Essendon is frustrated at seeing its fringe senior players, most recently Scott Lucas, Brent Prismall, Andrew Welsh and Darcy Daniher, compete in a team that is being beaten by large margins. The alignment is also seen to be one of the more fragile in the competition, according to insiders at Essendon. The travel factor has also been problematic for the players and coaches, and is "hard work", according to coach Adrian Hickmott.

"I travel up here every second week," Hickmott said. "I keep saying to these blokes, it's like going to Western Australia." After eight rounds, the winless Bendigo Bombers are on the bottom of the VFL ladder with a percentage of 48.75, having twice lost by 100 points or more. They lost by 112 points to Sandringham on Sunday. "No one likes losing, but it's not the No. 1 criteria," Hamilton said.

"We're certainly happy with getting into the market of Bendigo and the community up there but there are other areas that we'd also have to look at." AFL Victoria chief executive Peter Schwab said there weren't criteria in place for a set number of AFL teams that could stand alone in the VFL, but he said all teams had to apply through AFLV. While AFLV holds the cards in shutting down such applications, the VFL has the potential to grow into an AFL reserves competition in future years if AFL clubs prefer to go down the stand-alone path.

A partnership with financially stricken Frankston is also a possibility for the Bombers, with the second-last Dolphins desperate for financial help and success. Essendon will decide in August on its future in the VFL.
Bendigo chairman David Joss said it would be a challenge for the team to remain viable in the VFL if it parted ways with the Bombers.

"It would certainly be a challenge for the talent pool that's available to us," Joss said. "We did recruit really hard, but the reality is the Bendigo market isn't great in attracting talent." He said the club was also reviewing its situation after "a disappointing start to the season". "We're looking at all options and that's (splitting with Essendon) got to be one," Joss said. "But the reality is that AFL Victoria mightn't accept any more stand-alone AFL clubs in the VFL."

I'm a supporter of one of the above clubs. What do you want me to say? If I say we're going well someone might accuse me of being smug or arrogant. I'd rather avoid the aggravation.
Mate, there are many of us who would love to be arrogant but with our teams outside the top 5 we cannot be - so go for it!

Morning everyone... this seems topical so I'll post it. In the Age this morning. This is the first time I have read an article on this topic where Essendon coaches are so openly against the arrangement. The smoke and mirrors have gone, it seems. Bendigo needs VFL, but this arrangement has never worked. Back to the drawing board.

Essendon considers dumping Bendigo

REALFOOTY The Age, Brent Diamond | June 4, 2009

ESSENDON appears likely to ditch its VFL partner, the Bendigo Bombers, and enter a stand-alone team in the competition next season.

The Dons, whose affiliation with Bendigo expires at the end of the season, are expected to join Geelong and Collingwood as stand-alone VFL clubs. It is a decision that would put Bendigo at risk of folding in the VFL due to its shallow talent pool. "We've been looking at different models and stand-alone is one of them," Essendon football manager Paul Hamilton said.
"Our first aim is to review what our options are and we're in discussions with our Bendigo group, that's where we're at at the moment."

It is understood Essendon is frustrated at seeing its fringe senior players, most recently Scott Lucas, Brent Prismall, Andrew Welsh and Darcy Daniher, compete in a team that is being beaten by large margins. The alignment is also seen to be one of the more fragile in the competition, according to insiders at Essendon. The travel factor has also been problematic for the players and coaches, and is "hard work", according to coach Adrian Hickmott.

"I travel up here every second week," Hickmott said. "I keep saying to these blokes, it's like going to Western Australia." After eight rounds, the winless Bendigo Bombers are on the bottom of the VFL ladder with a percentage of 48.75, having twice lost by 100 points or more. They lost by 112 points to Sandringham on Sunday. "No one likes losing, but it's not the No. 1 criteria," Hamilton said.

"We're certainly happy with getting into the market of Bendigo and the community up there but there are other areas that we'd also have to look at." AFL Victoria chief executive Peter Schwab said there weren't criteria in place for a set number of AFL teams that could stand alone in the VFL, but he said all teams had to apply through AFLV. While AFLV holds the cards in shutting down such applications, the VFL has the potential to grow into an AFL reserves competition in future years if AFL clubs prefer to go down the stand-alone path.

A partnership with financially stricken Frankston is also a possibility for the Bombers, with the second-last Dolphins desperate for financial help and success. Essendon will decide in August on its future in the VFL.
Bendigo chairman David Joss said it would be a challenge for the team to remain viable in the VFL if it parted ways with the Bombers.

"It would certainly be a challenge for the talent pool that's available to us," Joss said. "We did recruit really hard, but the reality is the Bendigo market isn't great in attracting talent." He said the club was also reviewing its situation after "a disappointing start to the season". "We're looking at all options and that's (splitting with Essendon) got to be one," Joss said. "But the reality is that AFL Victoria mightn't accept any more stand-alone AFL clubs in the VFL."

Hickmott is a joke. He knew full well that there would be travel involved when he took the job on so he cannot whinge about it. How many of us country blokes travel EVERY weekend to play footy and get paid no where near what this bloke does.

I reckon the Bombers need to have a look at the coach before making any rash decisoions. M Knights was able to get the Bombers competitive and into the finals whilst dealing with travel and shallow talent pool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hickmott is a joke. He knew full well that there would be travel involved when he took the job on so he cannot whinge about it. How many of us country blokes travel EVERY weekend to play footy and get paid no where near what this bloke does.

I reckon the Bombers need to have a look at the coach before making any rash decisoions. M Knights was able to get the Bombers competitive and into the finals whilst dealing with travel and shallow talent pool.

My opionion or 2 cents worth
I see that the Essendon list is crap and full of injured hacks for the last 4 years or so. No depth but they keep playing the essendon players before the locals.I see Sumner, Sautner, still playing and players like Poyas for years continued to play for sandringham. Locals go,as they are not played in preference to afl listed duds. Recruiter at Essendon, Dedoro i think must be held responsable for the list.

well BB, you better get used to reading and getting abused on the Ballarat thread given the move of Gisborne to the Ballarat league! If your old mate Kings Army has anything to do with it, it's a foregone conclusion.

What's your opinion young BB?
I personally dont have to many problems with the Bendigo league but the prospect of less travel and renewed rivalries with Sunbury and co is very enticing. I dont think it would be unrealistic to suggest a crowd of 1500 or more people (i think we had 250 against undefeated South Bendigo a couple of weeks ago) could turn up for a home and away game against Sunbury or Darley. Home finals are always nice as well (imagine playing Gisborne at the graveyard in a final).

I'm not involved this year but from the clubs point of few i guess they weigh up the pro's and con's and then i believe its up to the members.

Personally i think the Ballarat deal may just be to good to refuse

I personally dont have to many problems with the Bendigo league but the prospect of less travel and renewed rivalries with Sunbury and co is very enticing. I dont think it would be unrealistic to suggest a crowd of 1500 or more people (i think we had 250 against undefeated South Bendigo a couple of weeks ago) could turn up for a home and away game against Sunbury or Darley. Home finals are always nice as well (imagine playing Gisborne at the graveyard in a final).

I'm not involved this year but from the clubs point of few i guess they weigh up the pro's and con's and then i believe its up to the members.

Personally i think the Ballarat deal may just be to good to refuse
A query or two Bearsboy.

When Gisborne joined the Bendigo League was Sunbury already in the Ballarat League or did it join later?

Also what about Darley and the Melton Clubs - were they in Ballarat League when Gisborne joined the Bendigo League?

A query or two Bearsboy.

When Gisborne joined the Bendigo League was Sunbury already in the Ballarat League or did it join later?

Also what about Darley and the Melton Clubs - were they in Ballarat League when Gisborne joined the Bendigo League?

Yes they all left the RFDFL together - Gis should have joined them - An error made many years ago can now be rectified.

...the prospect of less travel and renewed rivalries with Sunbury and co is very enticing...

...Personally i think the Ballarat deal may just be to good to refuse

Yes they all left the RFDFL together - Gis should have joined them - An error made many years ago can now be rectified.

I read these posts with interest lads, and i'm keen to get some feedback on my comments.

I think it's very obvious why both think it's a great idea for them to switch, if I was a Gisborne player or supporter, I would be all for it, personally less travel and playing more local clubs would be far better. I don't however have anything to do with the club, hence why I hope Gisborne stay put in the BenFL, they bring great competitiveness and up the standard, no question.

The highlighted parts of your comments are the interesting bits, you seem to be saying these things based on personal ideals, but such very 'enticing prospects' that may be 'too good to refuse' have been exactly that by Gisborne in the past, refused! There must be something keeping Gisborne in the BenFL, as it is well documented that the BalFL has made 3 plays at getting Gisborne very recently, and failed each time. The club has it's reasons for staying and obviously doesn't see such 'errors' in playing BenFL. Quite honestly I don't see how the offer this time to leave can be any better then previous times! Sunbury, Darley etc have been there everytime the other offers have come....

I just think sometimes history is our best guide to what will happen in the future, and IMHO Gisborne aren't going anywhere... Thoughts?

Apologies for the long post, but it is sort of my trademark and I wanted to say everything.

I read these posts with interest lads, and i'm keen to get some return feedback on my comments.

I think it's very obvious why both think it's a great idea for them to switch, if I was a Gisborne player or supporter, I would be all for it, personally less travel and playing more local clubs would be better. I'm don't however have anything to do with the club, hence why I hope Gisborne stay put in the BenFL, they bring great competitveness and up the standard, no question.

The highlighted parts of your comments are the interesting bits, you seem to be saying these things for yourself personally, but such very 'enticing prospects' that may be 'too good to refuse' have been exactly that by Gisborne in the past, refused! There must be something keeping Gisborne in the BenFL, it is well documented that the BalFL has made 3 plays at getting Gisborne very recently, and failed each time. The club must have it's reasons for staying and obviosly doesn't see such 'errors' in playing BenFL. Quite honestly I don't see how the offer this time to leave can be any better then previous times, Sunbury, Darley etc have been there everytime the other offers have come....

I just think sometime history is our best guide to what will happen in the future, and IMHO Gisborne aren't going anywhere... Thoughts?

Apologies for the long post, but it is sort of my trademark and I wanted to say evrything on my mind.

This attempt is different in that Ballarat now really want Gisborne and have put together a proposal after doing a lot of research. It is not simply asking if Gisborne would like to change leagues as they have done so in the past. I will be extremely surprised if Gisborne decide to stay - if that being the case the only thing to stop them will be the VCFL.

The benefits are there:

1) travel 2 or 3 times a year. Big saving in time and money to the players, coaches and supporters.

2) Crowd numbers will be up. This is huge in the current economic climate. The biggest crowd Gisborne has had this year was a practice match against Sunbury - and by a fair margin.

3) New club rooms - anyone that has seen Gisborne's would know how important this is.

4) It is cheaper to play in the Ballarat league - Bendigo fees are higher.

5) More aligned with the junior's. Promotes greater rivialries as the go from juniors to seniors.

6) No more Kyneton - real rivalries with Darley, South, Melton and Sunbury.

I find it hard to view the positives to stay in the Bendigo league and have not heard anything that compares to the above 6 points.

I find it hard to view the positives to stay in the Bendigo league and have not heard anything that compares to the above 6 points.

The only reason to stay would be they dominate the league and changing could be a challenge to them.

The only reason to stay would be they dominate the league and changing could be a challenge to them.

Yes- but woudn't you prefer a challenge. If the Ballarat league is a better standard isn't that a good thing? I honestly think suppoerters were lost by Gisborne dominating for years - No close matches - no tough games - no gritty wins. Nothing to really get excited about.

Note: yes I do know the interleague result.

hats off to kyneton today, proved how much of a d1ckhead club they are, cant play footy, so they try fight young kids and still get beat, go to another league alredy u jokes

This attempt is different in that Ballarat now really want Gisborne and have put together a proposal after doing a lot of research. It is not simply asking if Gisborne would like to change leagues as they have done so in the past. I will be extremely surprised if Gisborne decide to stay - if that being the case the only thing to stop them will be the VCFL.

I'm sorry but there is absolutely no substance in this post. 'it's different this time' and 'they've done their research' are nothing statements, and further more impossible for you to know anything about, even Gisborne officials are quoted to not knowing much about it. The BalFL is a professional organisation and would of put in excellent, and well prepared proposals previously, and to suggest otherwise is fairly fanciful. Hence I will reiterate my view that I can't see how this time will be any different.

Gisborne coach Ty Elliot disagrees, his interview on 3BO's after the siren pits his own view, and possibly the views of his players, against yours.
The following are points made by Ty straight fom the horses mouth in that interview...

- It's never been an inconvenience (the travel)

- It's a better climate then the weather you see in the BalFL

- We're comfortable in the BenFL

- I won't be pushing for us to change leagues, I don't see the point

I'm sorry but there is absolutely no substance in this post. 'it's different this time' and 'they've done their research' are nothing statements, and further more impossible for you to know anything about, even Gisborne officials are quoted to not knowing much about it. The BalFL is a professional organisation and would of put in excellent, and well prepared proposals previously, and to suggest otherwise is fairly fanciful. Hence I will reiterate my view that I can't see how this time will be any different.

Gisborne coach Ty Elliot disagrees, his interview on 3BO's after the siren pits his own view, and possibly the views of his players, against yours.
The following are points made by Ty straight fom the horses mouth in that interview...

- It's never been an inconvenience (the travel)

- It's a better climate then the weather you see in the BalFL

- We're comfortable in the BenFL

- I won't be pushing for us to change leagues, I don't see the point
Someone asked for a personal opinion and thats whats been given.

Did big Balraj play today ? He wasnt in the goal kickers - i dont normally head down the "money" path but Eaglehawk must be disapointed in his efforts so far

Someone asked for a personal opinion and thats whats been given.

Yep, i acknowledged it was Ty's personal opinion first and foremost. The head coach of the senior club would almost definitely have some fair clout in such decision makings processes though and I would of thought the coach would also represent the views of the playing group somewhat. But that is my personal take, i did say possibly.

Did big Balraj play today ? He wasnt in the goal kickers - i dont normally head down the "money" path but Eaglehawk must be disapointed in his efforts so far

I wasn't actually able to get along, but I rang my mate who played today and he said the big fella went down injured in the first qtr and didn't make it back on the park. He is right up there in the goal kicking and with the supply he was receiving early on I would of thought he is going ok. But certainly there is heaps of room for improvement in his game, particularly on the effort and teamwork side of things....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back