What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL how is this news the club is ok with it

Western Bulldogs forward Jamarra Ugle-Hagan attended a boxing match in St Kilda just days after being left out of the Bulldogs’ Round 6 side with personal reasons, reports Nine’s Tom Morris.

According to Morris, Ugle-Hagan had a couple of drinks at the event while attending with friends.

While the club reportedly has no issues with his conduct after Ugle-Hagan missed the clash against St Kilda to return home to Framlingham – in regional south-west Victoria – for family reasons, Kane Cornes didn’t think his choice to attend the event was a good look.

Morris discussed Ugle-Hagan’s absence and boxing match attendance with Cornes on SEN Breakfast.

Morris: “I think he's likely to play (in Round 7), but the Dogs haven't confirmed that yet.

“But Jamarra was at the boxing on Saturday night at St Kilda Town Hall, having a drink or two.

“The club has no issue with this. He's not injured. He's not on a six-day break.

“But he's clearly had some personal matters he needed to deal with last week and given that he's back in Melbourne now and hanging out with friends and people close to him, you'd be surprised if he doesn't play in Round 7.”

Cornes: “It’s a strange look, isn’t it? To go to the boxing and have a couple if you didn’t play on the Thursday night.”

Morris: “Yeah (it is), but he's allowed to live his life as well.”

Cornes: “Well, he is, but I think there's a time and a place to be able to live your life, particularly if you're not available for selection then a couple of days later you're doing that.

“In an ideal world, I think you're not at a boxing event having a couple after not playing.

“That would be my view.”

SEN’s Sam Edmund also revealed that Ugle-Hagan missed the club’s training session on Monday, which could leave him unlikely to play in Round 7 against Fremantle in Perth.

“Jamarra Ugle-Hagan missed obviously the Western Bulldogs’ game in Round 6 for personal reasons,” Edmund said on SEN Afternoons.

“He also missed training again today. So this return to the senior side for Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is looking unlikely at this stage.

“He missed Round 6 for personal reasons, as I say, returning home to be with family.

“Now he did turn some heads at St Kilda Town Hall on Saturday night with some others for a boxing event.

“However, he was absent from the Whitten Oval again today.

“Now club officials to my understanding, don't have an issue with Ugle-Hagan attending the boxing as he works through personal issues, but he would need to train fully in the Western Bulldogs’ main session that's on Wednesday to be considered any chance to face Fremantle in Perth on Saturday night.”

Saturday’s clash between the Dogs and Dockers is set for 7:30 pm (AEST) at Optus Stadium.

Kane Cornes insinuating an Indigenous player is unprofessional, must be a day ending in Y

Well if the club have no issues with it then it shouldn’t worry anyone
If You Say So Wow GIF by Identity

Western Bulldogs forward Jamarra Ugle-Hagan attended a boxing match in St Kilda just days after being left out of the Bulldogs’ Round 6 side with personal reasons, reports Nine’s Tom Morris.

According to Morris, Ugle-Hagan had a couple of drinks at the event while attending with friends.

While the club reportedly has no issues with his conduct after Ugle-Hagan missed the clash against St Kilda to return home to Framlingham – in regional south-west Victoria – for family reasons, Kane Cornes didn’t think his choice to attend the event was a good look.

Morris discussed Ugle-Hagan’s absence and boxing match attendance with Cornes on SEN Breakfast.

Morris: “I think he's likely to play (in Round 7), but the Dogs haven't confirmed that yet.

“But Jamarra was at the boxing on Saturday night at St Kilda Town Hall, having a drink or two.

“The club has no issue with this. He's not injured. He's not on a six-day break.

“But he's clearly had some personal matters he needed to deal with last week and given that he's back in Melbourne now and hanging out with friends and people close to him, you'd be surprised if he doesn't play in Round 7.”

Cornes: “It’s a strange look, isn’t it? To go to the boxing and have a couple if you didn’t play on the Thursday night.”

Cornes: “Well, he is, but I think there's a time and a place to be able to live your life, particularly if you're not available for selection then a couple of days later you're doing that.

“In an ideal world, I think you're not at a boxing event having a couple after not playing.

“That would be my view.”

SEN’s Sam Edmund also revealed that Ugle-Hagan missed the club’s training session on Monday, which could leave him unlikely to play in Round 7 against Fremantle in Perth.

“Jamarra Ugle-Hagan missed obviously the Western Bulldogs’ game in Round 6 for personal reasons,” Edmund said on SEN Afternoons.

“He also missed training again today. So this return to the senior side for Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is looking unlikely at this stage.

“He missed Round 6 for personal reasons, as I say, returning home to be with family.

“Now he did turn some heads at St Kilda Town Hall on Saturday night with some others for a boxing event.

“Now club officials to my understanding, don't have an issue with Ugle-Hagan attending the boxing as he works through personal issues, but he would need to train fully in the Western Bulldogs’ main session that's on Wednesday to be considered any chance to face Fremantle in Perth on Saturday night.”

Saturday’s clash between the Dogs and Dockers is set for 7:30 pm (AEST) at Optus Stadium.

I think it is totally fine! If there has been a death or serious illness in the family (for example), then fair enough he doesn't feel in the right headspace to play/compete. But watching a sports event with your friends and family could be very beneficial and fine! Nonsensical article and attitude from Cornes - shock!

I think it is totally fine! If there has been a death or serious illness in the family (for example), then fair enough he doesn't feel in the right headspace to play/compete. But watching a sports event with your friends and family could be very beneficial and fine! Nonsensical article and attitude from Cornes - shock!
Without knowing what the personal reasons are, and irrespective of how it impacted him mentally ... going to the boxing was two days later? Irrespective of how it "looks" what's wrong with something personal making the player unavailable on a Thursday but not in a Saturday?

Ridiculous. It's not as if he was seen doing it at the same time that the game was taking place, but it wasn't, which makes Cornes ridiculous.

“That would be my view.”

Pretty simple for mine.

Jamara had a personal issue which prevented him from playing on Thursday.

Some time after that the personal issue is resolved or sufficiently reduced and Jamara returns to Melbourne and his normal activities.

Carry on.

Last edited:
If AFL journalism were an AFL team, they would have undertaken a full rebuild at least a decade ago. I don't watch or listen to any of it. Tune in if you want to, but don't expect it to be anything other than awful. Everything that frustrates me about the modern fourth estate is shamelessly on show here - mediocre talent, ethically lazy, token quality control, parochialism, vendettas, self importance, arrogance, preciousness..it's click-bait garbage. Some of the posters on this board offer up infinitely better analysis and insight, which is why I come here pretty much exclusively to read footy.
hear hear

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see Canned Kornes has his big smooth brain working overtime again.

The club announced that JUH wasn't going to be available for a game the following day last Wednesday.

I dont think that its unreasonable to assume that if he'd left on that day (if not the days before) to travel down to Framlingham that one, two or three days was enough to take care of whatever saw his withdrawal from Thursdays game. That he got on with his life soon after is one of the dumbest click baity talking points that Canned has ever come up with and thats saying something. Given talking out of his arse is his stock in trade.

Let's not kid ourselves. The subtext of this conversation is really about "a strange look" of attending an event that typically draws lots of people from across Melbourne who prefer to operate in the shadows. Unless of course you're looking for a quick buck by getting in the ring and having your ticket punched by another D list AFLMedia personality. Then it's a swell night of family entertainment that is for a good cause. Their bank accounts.

If JUH was seen on Saturday night walking along St. Kilda beech with an ice-cream or having a couple of quite ones with mates at the Espy then it wouldn't have rated a mention, even with Canned.

And supporters will always blow them up
I must have missed something. Or perhaps you're jumping at shadows?

I thought the responses here so far have been measured and mostly supportive. One or two with a raised eyebrow ("it's a bit odd") but none leaping to assumptions or unfounded accusations.

Other than Kane QAnon of course, but he's hardly a supporter!

When Bevo said something like “I don’t know how their family members can even put up with them” or something along these lines, around when we made the 21 Grand Final. He was obviously referring to Cain Cornes among others, I don’t remember what he must have said to upset Bevo so much? Bevo gave it to him brutally because he despises how these so-called journalists operate and is very protective of his lads. Cain is still vengeful for being called out all those years ago. I listened to Kingy and Cain the other morning after our win and he just couldn’t acknowledge Bevo one iota. Such a small minded loser.

Please please please can we have Kane Cornes take on Clay Smith for his next boxing bout, with Jamarra and Bevo in Clay's corner.

I gave up reading footy press and watching footy TV years ago, frees up hours to indulge other, similar, interests and spend far too many hours on YouTube. I only recall Cornes as a skinny but effective tagger. I dislike the guffawing, self congratulating superiority of ex champion footballers who weasel their ways on to our screens, radios and newspapers. Fawning syncophants like Jones and Barrett worse. I’ve lived for years, now, without footy opinionati. Lay off Cornes, he and his ilk disappear if you ignore them and make up your own minds.

You have nailed it can be funny at times also a bit pathetic to see some old farts carrying on
My old man is a very decent bowler and former club pennant selector and Match Captain.

He's basically stopped playing now because of the absolute avalanche of bullshit, temper tantrums and backstabbing that goes on in the club.

I saw enough of it in my couple of years too, blokes that would rather be Skip of Div 3 or 4 than be a second or third in Div 2.

Phenomenal behaviour from blokes 60+...

From what I hear, and it’s just a rumour, but Jamarra’s issue is more than just ‘a personal issue’. Now Bevo said in his post match (Saints) presser that Marra will probably miss again. Now we are hearing he missed training. 2 weeks off for a family death? All sounds a bit suss to me!

From what I hear, and it’s just a rumour, but Jamarra’s issue is more than just ‘a personal issue’. Now Bevo said in his post match (Saints) presser that Marra will probably miss again. Now we are hearing he missed training. 2 weeks off for a family death? All sounds a bit suss to me!
Yeah … a death in the family is water off a ducks back, right?

Have a bit of compassion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back