What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

What hasn’t helped Bevo this year in dropping champions, who always need a wake up, is that his selection has been bizarre for 7 years. Too many spud plodders, who were his ‘project players’, got way too many games, ahead of others, that they probably didn’t deserve. McNeil, McComb, Scott, Butler, Gowers, O’Brian etc etc were continued with too long. So when he wanted to make some selection ‘statements’ he had ran out of credibility with the fans base and media too.

You're too modest Norm.
The only moronic thing you said (implied) was that these professional talking heads are smarter than you.
As this boards self appointed media critic*. It does my head in how little they actually understand about the game.

Us fans can be forgiven for many of the things that we get wrong due to how heavily invested we are in proceedings. Especially in our post game hot takes. However, these clowns are supposed to be dispassionate observers of the game. It's been pretty evident for some time that the likes of Caned Kornes dont really have the ability to distance himself from past grievances and will forever grind 'grandfathers axe' if it suits their purpose.

One only needs to look at the ridiculous pile on that we saw over the past week. Was the club deserving of criticism after last weeks disastrous game? Of course it was. Was the medias over the top reporting of every made up story as fact in response to the same an embarrassment to their profession?

I'll leave that up to their profession code of ethics to decide.

* the irony of this position is that I rarely watch or listen to any of their programs. But they're hard to avoid as I traverse through life.

What hasn’t helped Bevo this year in dropping champions, who always need a wake up, is that his selection has been bizarre for 7 years. Too many spud plodders, who were his ‘project players’, got way too many games, ahead of others, that they probably didn’t deserve. McNeil, McComb, Scott, Butler, Gowers, O’Brian etc etc were continued with too long. So when he wanted to make some selection ‘statements’ he had ran out of credibility with the fans base and media too.
There's been a clear bias - and I'm not sure whether it's Bevo or the list management team - to avoid developing genuinely young players, (if they're not clearly so talented that they're top 20 draft picks), even if it takes some time and investment. He'd rather a plug-in-and-play mature mind that in theory can take coaching direction well, even if the lack of talent is the reason they weren't drafted as a 18 year old in the first place.

Hopefully the fact that the likes of West, Gallagher and now Garcia pushing out some of these players proves a point.

I like that our social media game has ramped up. Not just with content but whoever is running the account has a bit of cheek - even if it means antagonising our very own social media nuffs. It’s not quite Giants level utter cringe but there’s genuine engagement.

It’s character. Something like what we had in 2016 with first dog on the moon and Anderson doing our banners before our media engagement was forced to be sparse, boring and lifeless.

I find the Naughton stuff funny and how some supporters in the comments are taking it personally is also amusing. It’s all in good fun.

Caro was at her rumour mongering best today. Saying there was unrest at the kennel, and when someone asked who, she backed down saying “I’m not saying, just wait and see”.

Caro was at her rumour mongering best today. Saying there was unrest at the kennel, and when someone asked who, she backed down saying “I’m not saying, just wait and see”.
She’s been reading Bigfooty again. Someone posted something along these lines earlier in the day 🙄

If AFL journalism were an AFL team, they would have undertaken a full rebuild at least a decade ago. I don't watch or listen to any of it. Tune in if you want to, but don't expect it to be anything other than awful. Everything that frustrates me about the modern fourth estate is shamelessly on show here - mediocre talent, ethically lazy, token quality control, parochialism, vendettas, self importance, arrogance, preciousness..it's click-bait garbage. Some of the posters on this board offer up infinitely better analysis and insight, which is why I come here pretty much exclusively to read footy.

Caro really seems to like destabilising clubs. Never attacks Richmond though, her bias shows a lack of ethics.

It's her raison d'etre.

She used to 'report' about on-field events, but had NFI what she was talking about, so has evolved into an ambulance-chasing scandal-monger.

Age used to promote her as Australia's #1 female sports journalist - a joke when they had actual female sports journalists like Chloe Saltau, Emma Quayle and others who actually understood the onfield/on-court concepts they reported on.

She'd fit right in 1970s-era "Truth". Rarely commits to specifics, it's all just "I've heard...", "I'm led to believe...", "sources suggest...".

Sam Lane has produced far more worthwhile content in her former print journalism stint at The Age than Wilson will in her entire lifetime.

And yes, there's rarely any issues at Punt Rd reported by her. Funny that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe I’m naive but I’m sure every club has blokes with the sh*ts who aren’t getting game, players that don’t get along, players that have differing values, little cliques, and I could go on.
Every club, at every level in every sport across the country. Across the world, actually.

Probably every club that exists, sporting or otherwise. 🙄

It's her raison d'etre.

She used to 'report' about on-field events, but had NFI what she was talking about, so has evolved into an ambulance-chasing scandal-monger.

Age used to promote her as Australia's #1 female sports journalist - a joke when they had actual female sports journalists like Chloe Saltau, Emma Quayle and others who actually understood the onfield/on-court concepts they reported on.

She'd fit right in 1970s-era "Truth". Rarely commits to specifics, it's all just "I've heard...", "I'm led to believe...", "sources suggest...".

Sam Lane has produced far more worthwhile content in her former print journalism stint at The Age than Wilson will in her entire lifetime.

And yes, there's rarely any issues at Punt Rd reported by her. Funny that.
I’ve had some help from my wife interpreting her raison d’ etre and concluded it means a merde stirrer ps I enjoy your work good fun

Every club, at every level in every sport across the country. Across the world, actually.

Probably every club that exists, sporting or otherwise. 🙄
You should be in a lawn Bowl’s club I’ve never struck so many children in my life even in the army and I was pretty childish at times

My parents were bowlers.

Got so bad that they gave it away.
It’s a bit addictive I’ve been playing since the mid eighties have had Bulldog symbols on them for about 20 years mainly to store up the people in Adelaide when we lived there though I have new bigger ones waiting for me at home so I can crash a few packs 🤔

Caro really seems to like destabilising clubs. Never attacks Richmond though, her bias shows a lack of ethics.
I remember in 2018 she was trying to get something going on Footy Classified, saying it’s the biggest story in football that we weren’t playing finals and Lloyd just shut it down saying “they’re just really young again”.

Lloyd hasn’t minded having a crack but I don’t think he cares about the off field.

She has NFI about the on field and has no value if she doesn’t have gossip to peddle.

I also know a former Richmond board member who said even they stopped giving her time because she just made things up.

LOL how is this news the club is ok with it

Western Bulldogs forward Jamarra Ugle-Hagan attended a boxing match in St Kilda just days after being left out of the Bulldogs’ Round 6 side with personal reasons, reports Nine’s Tom Morris.

According to Morris, Ugle-Hagan had a couple of drinks at the event while attending with friends.

While the club reportedly has no issues with his conduct after Ugle-Hagan missed the clash against St Kilda to return home to Framlingham – in regional south-west Victoria – for family reasons, Kane Cornes didn’t think his choice to attend the event was a good look.

Morris discussed Ugle-Hagan’s absence and boxing match attendance with Cornes on SEN Breakfast.

Morris: “I think he's likely to play (in Round 7), but the Dogs haven't confirmed that yet.

“But Jamarra was at the boxing on Saturday night at St Kilda Town Hall, having a drink or two.

“The club has no issue with this. He's not injured. He's not on a six-day break.

“But he's clearly had some personal matters he needed to deal with last week and given that he's back in Melbourne now and hanging out with friends and people close to him, you'd be surprised if he doesn't play in Round 7.”

Cornes: “It’s a strange look, isn’t it? To go to the boxing and have a couple if you didn’t play on the Thursday night.”

Morris: “Yeah (it is), but he's allowed to live his life as well.”

Cornes: “Well, he is, but I think there's a time and a place to be able to live your life, particularly if you're not available for selection then a couple of days later you're doing that.

“In an ideal world, I think you're not at a boxing event having a couple after not playing.

“That would be my view.”

SEN’s Sam Edmund also revealed that Ugle-Hagan missed the club’s training session on Monday, which could leave him unlikely to play in Round 7 against Fremantle in Perth.

“Jamarra Ugle-Hagan missed obviously the Western Bulldogs’ game in Round 6 for personal reasons,” Edmund said on SEN Afternoons.

“He also missed training again today. So this return to the senior side for Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is looking unlikely at this stage.

“He missed Round 6 for personal reasons, as I say, returning home to be with family.

“Now he did turn some heads at St Kilda Town Hall on Saturday night with some others for a boxing event.

“However, he was absent from the Whitten Oval again today.

“Now club officials to my understanding, don't have an issue with Ugle-Hagan attending the boxing as he works through personal issues, but he would need to train fully in the Western Bulldogs’ main session that's on Wednesday to be considered any chance to face Fremantle in Perth on Saturday night.”

Saturday’s clash between the Dogs and Dockers is set for 7:30 pm (AEST) at Optus Stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back