Welcome to the Bulldogs Sam Darcy

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke would probably know, the others would be going off the AFL site. He looks every bit of 211.

he does look 211. English is 208, Lobb 207 and Sweet 206 and he looks a little taller than all of them, which discounts any one photo which could have one of them hunching or not standing up straight.

I shared that news earlier this year after speaking to Luke about Sam... I've noticed that several news outlets are still saying he is 208 with one more recently saying he is 209... i think it was the AGE
Luke said he was 211

I just checked and 208 seems the most used, but time will tell.

Either way, we have 3 of the 10 tallest players in the AFL. Of those 10, 3 are pretty unlikely to play (Tigers, Swans & Blues rookies). Cox & Reeves are the other 2 who are borderline best 23 players at their clubs, but aren’t anywhere as good as the remaining 5 (Darcy, English, Lobb, Gawn, Witts).

I just checked and 208 seems the most used, but time will tell.

Either way, we have 3 of the 10 tallest players in the AFL. Of those 10, 3 are pretty unlikely to play (Tigers, Swans & Blues rookies). Cox & Reeves are the other 2 who are borderline best 23 players at their clubs, but aren’t anywhere as good as the remaining 5 (Darcy, English, Lobb, Gawn, Witts).
I don't care if Darcy turns out to be a dud and gets delisted in 2 years... I just want him to grow taller!!

Anyone remember that one poster insisting that we shouldn’t match the bid on Sam so we could use our first on someone who would get us to the 2022 flag?

I don't care if Darcy turns out to be a dud and gets delisted in 2 years... I just want him to grow taller!!
When Macrae was attracting a lot of attention after his debut season, Bont walked into the club and internally people were shocked at how good the kid would be.
Internally, the same scenario seems to be happened with Marra being touted as 'going to be good' but then Darcy walks in. Darcy is a mile ahead of where he should be in his development and 209, 210, 211cm kid with his marking ability is going to be a serious weapon in time.

When Macrae was attracting a lot of attention after his debut season, Bont walked into the club and internally people were shocked at how good the kid would be.
Internally, the same scenario seems to be happened with Marra being touted as 'going to be good' but then Darcy walks in. Darcy is a mile ahead of where he should be in his development and 209, 210, 211cm kid with his marking ability is going to be a serious weapon in time.
There's a LOT of external noise about him out there. He's been called a Unicorn! a one off!
I thought it had something to do with the single horn growing out of his forehead.
To have a kid like that fall in our laps is great and the buzz around him is only going to make it easier for Marra... less focus from the media, and opposition backmen!

There's a LOT of external noise about him out there. He's been called a Unicorn! a one off!
I thought it had something to do with the single horn growing out of his forehead.
To have a kid like that fall in our laps is great and the buzz around him is only going to make it easier for Marra... less focus from the media, and opposition backmen!
Unlike every great-white-hope KPF we've brought in for the past 20-30 years they have Naughton & Lobb to be the 'senior guys' too so it's a perfect development path for both kids.
Added bonus, their skillsets compliment each other perfectly too. Marra is brilliant at getting separation while Darcy just marks at the highest point and is taller than any opponent he's likely to attract.

Unlike every great-white-hope KPF we've brought in for the past 20-30 years they have Naughton & Lobb to be the 'senior guys' too so it's a perfect development path for both kids.
Added bonus, their skillsets compliment each other perfectly too. Marra is brilliant at getting separation while Darcy just marks at the highest point and is taller than any opponent he's likely to attract.
Darcy reminds me of a young Paul Salmon - remember when he burst onto the scene for the Bombers as a ruckman sized forward... unstoppable

I shared that news earlier this year after speaking to Luke about Sam... I've noticed that several news outlets are still saying he is 208 with one more recently saying he is 209... i think it was the AGE
Luke said he was 211
There is a recent team photo where Darcy is standing beside Lobb and he is clearly taller. 210-211 sounds about right.

I love how he plays with such confidence and swagger already despite being a bean pole. Could be anything when he fills out, which I'm confident he will.

There is a recent team photo where Darcy is standing beside Lobb and he is clearly taller. 210-211 sounds about right.

I love how he plays with such confidence and swagger already despite being a bean pole. Could be anything when he fills out, which I'm confident he will.

English is the same height or slightly taller in that photo.

1678449690308.png

Obviously they could be wearing different height shoes, but it looks to me that the height difference between Darcy and English is one third that of the height difference between Darcy and Lobb.

I'm guessing that puts English at 211, Darcy at 210 and Lobb at 207 (along with Sweet).

3-5 week quad might go close to season done if recovery is at the longer end. Will be two years in a row he's effectively missed half the season, which is a shame for his development. Last year was the pre-season navicular injury.

Really needs an uninterruptedl pre-season next time around.

Not saying rucking is the cause of his injuries - they’re a part of footy wherever you play - but I wonder if it’s best keeping him in a position of more protection ? He can play forward or back and we already have English , Sweet and Lobb.

I hope Tim is giving him bulking up lessons . I remember at that age Tim found it very hard to gain bulk & play . He was downing tubs of yoghurt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Western Bulldogs young gun Sam Darcy is the AFL Rising Star nominee for round four.

The third-generation Bulldog was a standout on Saturday night, contributing three goals from 12 disposals, three marks and four tackles in the four-point loss to Geelong at Adelaide Oval.

Remarkably it was only his 10th game at senior level - following a round 21, 2022 debut and an injury-riddled 2023 that saw him manage just three matches.

Darcy was drafted with pick 2 in 2021, with the Bulldogs electing to match GWS’ bid on the father-son prospect.
A product of the Oakleigh Chargers and Scotch College, Darcy played his junior football with Glen Iris and Hawthorn Citizens.

Darcy becomes the second Bulldog in successive weeks to be named a Rising Star, following Harvey Gallagher’s performance against West Coast in round three.

Thought this might be on the cards this week but AFL would usually over rule due to dogs player being nominated last week as well. Change of tune at hq

Good game by Darcy well deserved

What happens if Sanders dominates against Essendon ?

Thought this might be on the cards this week but AFL would usually over rule due to dogs player being nominated last week as well. Change of tune at hq

Didn’t Norf have two in a row before this?

well done

cody-clap-clapping-gif.gif

Are you saying that Bont may have been the rising star over Lewis Taylor in 2014 and that Taylor was chosen as a token pick as Brisbane needed a little marketing assistance from Gil?

Another curious factor about nominees to date is that no-one from last year's draft has been nominated yet.

If we had 3 nominations in a row, including the first nominee from last year's draft, that would be a real feather in our cap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back