Welcome to the Bulldogs Sam Darcy

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought this was an interesting comparison.

Luke Jackson (averages in his rising star year):
13 disposals
10.6 hit outs
2 tackles
0.6 goals
1.25 inside 50s
3 marks

Sam Darcy (first 5 games in 2024):
12.2 disposals
9.2 hit outs
3.6 tackles
1.6 goals
2 inside 50s
4.8 marks

Sam's been good but the media are all over Harley Reid for the rising star. To be fair I reckon it should only go to first year players but I will be rapt if Sam snags it.

Last edited:

The most exciting thing about him for me, which isn’t surprising given who his old man is, is that he seems to be a great footballer, putting aside his dimensions. His goal on the weekend where he stayed down to rove the ball off the marking contest was clever for any player, let alone one 209cm tall.
He & Naughton both had this situation where one of them went up & the other snuck out the back for a goal. It made me so happy to not see both of them fly & watch the defenders mop up & rebound like we've seen time & time again.

My favourite play of his was taking the contested mark as we were exiting defensive 50 and wheeling around and nailing the most delicate of 20m kicks bang in the middle of corridor.

Arguably already the second best genuine forward/ruck in the comp, after Jackson. And he’s a much better mark and forward than Jackson. Josh Treacy who we’ll come up against this week is the other in that discussion.

Not a bad little consolation prize for not having Lobb clearly in our 23.

He & Naughton both had this situation where one of them went up & the other snuck out the back for a goal. It made me so happy to not see both of them fly & watch the defenders mop up & rebound like we've seen time & time again.
I noticed that too.

The lack of "one down" has frustrated me for a while now. Tired of watching everyone flying for the same ball. Hope it continues!

Anyone remember the days of Paul Hudson? About half of his goals came from crumbing packs.
'Twas a beautiful thing 😘

I noticed that too.

The lack of "one down" has frustrated me for a while now. Tired of watching everyone flying for the same ball. Hope it continues!

Anyone remember the days of Paul Hudson? About half of his goals came from crumbing packs.
His straight kicking was seriously "Special"
😊

I noticed that too.

Super smart player. I remember him deliberately juggling a mark to move closer to goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I noticed that too.

Late-career Brian Royal too. Front and centre, collect the spill, side step, kick goal, shake of the head.
Choco had a bit of the Chisel-era Jimmy Barnes look about him too, while Huddo was more Soul Deep Barnesy! 😄

Thought this was an interesting comparison.

Luke Jackson (averages in his rising star year):
13 disposals
10.6 hit outs
2 tackles
0.6 goals
1.25 inside 50s
3 marks

Sam Darcy (first 5 games in 2024):
12.2 disposals
9.2 hit outs
3.6 tackles
1.6 goals
2 inside 50s
4.8 marks
You have to remember that 2021 (when Jackson won) was the year where most of the first-year players had missed a lot (if not all) of their top-age under 18's year and so the competition for the Rising Start award was meaningfully lower. The vote getters in the Rising Star award that year only included 2 first year players:
  1. Luke Jackson (2nd year player)
  2. Tom Green (2nd year player)
  3. Mitch Georgiades (2nd year player)
  4. Just McInerney (3rd year player)
  5. Errol Gulden (1st year on list)
  6. Trent Rivers (2nd year player)
  7. Harry Schoenberg (2nd year player)
  8. James Jordon (3rd year player)
  9. Cody Weightman (2nd year player)
  10. Hayden Young (2nd year player)
  11. Nik Cox (1st year on list)
I think for Darcy to be a chance he'd have to kick 40-50 goals and get himself into the top 5 for contested marks (currently 10th).

Cordy, Spindle Shanks, L Jones
Boyd, Schache, Jamarra Pick 1 Pick 2 Pick 1 we spent years hoping to see the moment they turned. Boyd and Jamarra did to some extent later on but from Sam there is never a need to check stats to compare to kids his age or where he tracks against superstars of the competition.

You watch and you see it, you know hes a star.

I know we talk about his height a lot but he is listed as 208cm the same as English. However he seems taller. Can someone measure this kid.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I know we talk about his height a lot but he is listed as 208cm the same as English. However he seems taller. Can someone measure this kid.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It looks like English has a longer neck and Sam’s shoulders are a bit higher, so he has more usable height.

4C91231B-7523-4CAA-AFC6-F8E532BE711A.jpeg

It looks like English has a longer neck and Sam’s shoulders are a bit higher, so he has more usable height.

View attachment 1968967

Maybe English needs to adapt his game to utilise his strengths/natural features....
Rather than trying to palm a CB hitout, neck it to the mids. Also if he uses that neck as a weapon in contested situations, unlikely the MRO have any ability to deal with it. Would like to see him wrap Greene up with his neck a-la Daniel Southern on Peter Sumich. 🤔

Maybe English needs to adapt his game to utilise his strengths/natural features....
Rather than trying to palm a CB hitout, neck it to the mids. Also if he uses that neck as a weapon in contested situations, unlikely the MRO have any ability to deal with it. Would like to see him wrap Greene up with his neck a-la Daniel Southern on Peter Sumich. 🤔
You think he should be taking self defence lessons from a giraffe?

You think he should be taking self defence lessons from a giraffe?

Not so much self defence, as identify the most aggressive giraffe in the country, and get Tim in the enclosure with it. I believe male giraffes fight with their neck anyway, so add a string to his bow...

Lateral thinking gj. I like it.
🦒

He and Jamarra are two of the three most exciting prospects I've seen in my time as a fan.
You sound like a fan who never saw Zephi Skinner backflip...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back