Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - MATTAES PHILLIPOU!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I think playing AFL level all season is the best thing for him, he has been humbled and now has a huge reel of footage to address over the preseason. He will no doubt put in the work required to address and improve any aspects of his game that need improving.

I just hope we haven't pigeon holed him as a half forward. Needs to be a contested ball midfielder who can also spread
Pinch myself sometimes to think he is the youngest player in the AFL and had he been born a week later he would be in this years draft pool and be giving Harley Reid a run for the #1.

Having watched Mitchito and NWM blossom in their 2nd year, you just know this kid will be pushing himself to better what they did in Year 2. Personally, I think it will take until 2025 before he physically fills out and goes full beast mode on the competition.

Pinch myself sometimes to think he is the youngest player in the AFL and had he been born a week later he would be in this years draft pool and be giving Harley Reid a run for the #1.

Having watched Mitchito and NWM blossom in their 2nd year, you just know this kid will be pushing himself to better what they did in Year 2. Personally, I think it will take until 2025 before he physically fills out and goes full beast mode on the competition.
Every game, he will learn a little bit more and get more comfortable. His marking is already a feature, want him to start using his speed and evasiveness. his tackling has really come on recent weeks. Great to see him getting some midfield time as well. Every minute he is out there is massive for his development. Clearly he is doing what Ross wants and I think Ross sees something special in him going by what he has seen in other guys like BJ, Fyfe, Rooey etc etc and continues to pump games into him. Super stoaked to see what he'll become. He and Chito could be the midfield combo we've looked for years.

Contest work needs to improve if he’s ever going to be a full time midfielder. Can be hesitant around the ball at times although doesn’t seem to have a problem flying for marks

Contest work needs to improve if he’s ever going to be a full time midfielder. Can be hesitant around the ball at times although doesn’t seem to have a problem flying for marks
I feel like often he's just trying not to get in someone else's way, like he's too respectful of our other players. Also might have direction to be the receiving option outside the contest. Think it can definitely be coached.

I think playing AFL level all season is the best thing for him, he has been humbled and now has a huge reel of footage to address over the preseason. He will no doubt put in the work required to address and improve any aspects of his game that need improving.

I just hope we haven't pigeon holed him as a half forward. Needs to be a contested ball midfielder who can also spread and recieve.

I thought he was a cut above Josh Ward and Cam McKenzie on the weekend.

Yea he’s learning, it’ll take time but have to just get reps in. If you watch his u18 mid tape it’s incredible. Bursting out hitting bombs from 55.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember Lukey Dunstan doing exactly that in his first game for us at 19 years old. Hope Pou ends up slightly better.
Dunstan never kicked a goal from beyond 35 metres in 8 seasons.

Poo dobbing them from 55 in his 1st.

Scud has Jam Tins covered already.

This kid is going to be a star. I have been really impressed by his last couple of games. He has managed to get back into form after looking like he was ready for the off season.

He is holding his tackles and backing himself in to hit targets by foot.

One thing he never stopped doing was this little moments of magic that showed he is going to he some thing special.

I am glad they didn’t chuck him in the twos. He is going to get a lot more out of playing at AFL level and reviewing the footage from games.

Footage of phillipou over the pre season watching clips like *Jy Simpkin*throwing his gps

The Pou will be in my 2024 super coach team. I am excited to see what he produces after a years experience and a good pre season.

This kid is going to be a star. I have been really impressed by his last couple of games. He has managed to get back into form after looking like he was ready for the off season.

One thing he never stopped doing was this little moments of magic that showed he is going to he some thing special.

I am glad they didn’t chuck him in the twos. He is going to get a lot more out of playing at AFL level and reviewing the footage from games.

Footage of phillipou watching clips like *Jy Simpkin] throwing his gps over the pre season

The Pou will be in my 2024 super coach team. I am excited to see what he produces after a years experience and a good pre season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Footage of phillipou over the pre season watching clips like *Jy Simpkin*throwing his gps

One of the highlights of my recent tour of RSEA Park was when I went into the "inner sanctum" and into the workspace of the coaches.

I couldn't hear what was being said (and didn't want to take photos) but watched Rob Harvey sitting at his desk, showing match footage on his monitor, with Mitch Owens and Mattaes Phillipou seated by his side, taking in every word.

You can tell these kids are real students of the game.

And are something special.

Couple of things

Firstly,

I have it some authority that this pick was Ross’s call and he would’ve taken him at pick 4.

Obviously very bullish on him and I think it’s indicated by Pou not getting dropped at all. Ross clearly sees something special in him.

Also when I’ve been down to training Lenny Steele and Harves were riding him really hard constantly yelling instructions what him.

They know how special he can be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back