Welcome Welcome to Richmond Pick 17 - Tom Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

Broke his arm in the '82 GF. Some Carlton campaigner went to kick the ball off the ground and broke his arm.

Everything that could go wrong that day went wrong. Sacked Jewell the year before, Bruce broke his arm, Bourke pulled Malthouse's shoulder out the Thursday before GF day, Brian Taylor was dropped when named in the team, it rained, Helen D'Amico streaked.... F me, I could go on and on and on!! Campaigner of a day.

I could smell the stench of death around the club post that.

Far car from where we are now. Right now we're paying the price of success under the rules of the day. But, we'll be back. I have absolutely no doubt.
Absolutely we will be back.
Rebuilding very nicely, defence looking pretty decent, midfield introducing new players like McAuliffe, Dow etc. maybe need another decent ruck as Naismith isn’t young, Ryan only a possibility at this point but not a lost cause. And clearly, as we all know, we need to find a tall forward or two. Was hoping to see young Fawcett play as his highlights looked okay, but typical of this season, injured!!!
KMac looking like he’s almost done, but Pickett still serviceable at this point. But maybe we already have their replacements on the list. Don’t mind the idea of Short making wing his spot, as we have others that can take his role on HBF.

Just wanted to pop in and say reckon this kids an absolute gun. Kicking is like a cannon coming off his boot. Don't know a heap about the rest of his game but if thats his 1 wood he's got a bright future.
Are you snapper from Port Phillip Bay??

They were legends games on the MCG. He didn't exert himself greatly.

I played on Daffy in one game who complained of a dodgy hammy most of the game. I ran around picking touches up at will. A couple of the players came up to me after (Poole and Powell) and wanted to know how many games I played as they couldn't remember me.
Does that make you an ex-player?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kane Cornes says we don't have any young talent on our list

I hope he continues to trot this out for the next 2 years while we rebuild with the likes of Brown, quietly going about their business
Not just Cornes. Most journalists have been either lazy or just going for clicks when trying to compare us to Hawthorn just because we traded a couple picks out. Completely ignoring the face that Hawks completely traded out of 3 drafts AFTER going very light on the draft for half a decade before that.

We on other hand took 5 top 30 picks before trading out of 2 drafts which helps cover that cap as shown by players like Brown coming into their 3rd season and finding their spot.

Not just Cornes. Most journalists have been either lazy or just going for clicks when trying to compare us to Hawthorn just because we traded a couple picks out. Completely ignoring the face that Hawks completely traded out of 3 drafts AFTER going very light on the draft for half a decade before that.

We on other hand took 5 top 30 picks before trading out of 2 drafts which helps cover that cap as shown by players like Brown coming into their 3rd season and finding their spot.

Even the drafts we traded out of, we appear to have found Campbell and McAuliffe for whom it is early days but they certainly don't look lost at AFL level from what we have seen.

Even the drafts we traded out of, we appear to have found Campbell and McAuliffe for whom it is early days but they certainly don't look lost at AFL level from what we have seen.
McAuliffe on paper right now, based on pre season hype and VFL form, looks every bit a 1st rounder.

Campbell's performances so far wouldnt look out of place for a 2nd rounder.

These 2 look like absolute steals at this early stage.

Smith looks so much like a shorter version of Tom Brown, very similar traits ,
Maybe ... but how tall is Tom Brown really?

Could he be using elevator shoes?
!
Animated GIF

He definitely has a magical slipper!

I think he’s as good a kick as Dusty
Think he is a better field kick

Dusty the better player and better on the run but if we are talking about a weighted kick to a teammate’s advantage Brown is the best we have and had for a long time

It’s not just the kicking either it’s his vision to assess the best option as well

Yeah… and more. In the draft years we traded ‘out’ of, we got in various forms these youngsters:

Kaleb Smith
Steely Green
Seth Campbell (rookie)
Tyler Young (rookie)
McAuliffe
Fawcett
Bauer (mid-season)
Coulthard (mid-season)

I’m confident enough already to say 3 are going to be long term players for us in Campbell, Young and Macca. Kaleb Smith shows excellent signs. Not sure on Steely, Bauer and Coulthard although 2 have debuted already… and way too early for Fawcett.

If we end up with 3 x quality players from 2 x list mgt periods where we traded picks out for TT and Hopper then we’ve absolutely nailed it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just because someone moves clubs it doesn’t mean we could have gotten them. Cerra chose to go to Carlton. Hogan chose to go to GWS. There are 17 x clubs these players can choose from … suggesting we could have gotten them just because we wanted them is not how things work.

And you’re suggesting we should’ve given up the Gibcus pick for Cerra. Obviously nobody would’ve predicted the Gibcus injuries … are you honestly saying it would’ve been better to have a very good midfielder who turns 25yo end of 2024 than a 21yo CHB for a decade? This is a classic case of being a hindsight hero. If Gibcus had 45 games under his belt for Freo and was dominating CHB (which he’d likely be doing without injuries), you’d be slamming the club for giving up Gibcus for a midfielder.

And then you’re talking about getting JUH just because we offer a big deal to him. He’d have huge deals tabled from most clubs and he’s about to re-sign with the Dogs. He’s not gettable.

And you’ve added Grundy in there .. WTF? We had Nank and Soldo … why would Grundy want to come to us? Why would we go after a ruckman on big coin when we had two quality rucks already?

Sorry, but you live in fantasy land thinking every available player could’ve been in Tiger colors if that’s what we wanted.

Lions fell off a cliff post dynasty. Hawks fell off a cliff post dynasty. Eagles fell off a cliff post flag. Saints fell off a cliff post 2009-2010. Dogs fell off a cliff post 2007-2010 era. Port fell off a cliff post 2004-2008.

About the only club that hasn’t fallen off a cliff to some extent post a very successful period is Geelong. But in 2015 they missed finals … in 2016 the best player in the competition walked in the door for unders as his family lived in Mogg’s creek. In 2020 they lost GF to us. In 2021 they had as good as the best player in the competition walk through the door as he liked fishing .

We’ve made many errors post dynasty, but keeping back Father Time when you don’t have access to the top-end of the draft for a decade is nigh on impossible (unless the likes of Danger and Jezza come knocking)…..

How’d we have gone in 2022 if Bont was playing for us? We finish top-4 and probably win the flag…. but he wasn’t.

Mate your dealing with a bloke who learned his footy from fantasy AFL and thinks every player is available and whatever our club does is rubbish. Put him on ignore, I did years ago now.

Yeah… and more. In the draft years we traded ‘out’ of, we got in various forms these youngsters:

Kaleb Smith
Steely Green
Seth Campbell (rookie)
Tyler Young (rookie)
McAuliffe
Fawcett
Bauer (mid-season)
Coulthard (mid-season)

I’m confident enough already to say 3 are going to be long term players for us in Campbell, Young and Macca. Kaleb Smith shows excellent signs. Not sure on Steely, Bauer and Coulthard although 2 have debuted already… and way too early for Fawcett.

If we end up with 3 x quality players from 2 x list mgt periods where we traded picks out for TT and Hopper then we’ve absolutely nailed it.

Like I said Clarke is a huge loss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back