Toast Welcome to Freo Michael Frederick – Fremantle’s 4th 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #61]

Remove this Banner Ad

My naive analysis of the photo and heights.

Stephen Hill is 183cm; he is slightly hunched over and you can tell that if he stood up straight he would be taller than Sam Switkowski (179cm).

Frederick is definitely a lot shorter than Chapman but he is definitely taller than Hill even though they are listed at the same height, so the claim that he has grown definitely seems to have some ring of truth about it but I don't reckon it could be more than 2cm or so. Also Frederick is slightly elevated on the front end of his feet whereas Hill is flat on his heels and is closer to the camera, so maybe it is all just an illusion?

Cox's height compared to Sam Sturt's height looks about right relatively for ~194cm versus ~189cm (and Hamling at 196cm).

Chapman has improved his upper arm strength by the looks of it, but to be fair he did have a dislocated shoulder so improving all of that area was probably a pretty critical thing for him to do. He look comparable to Cox but he is also standing closer to the camera - if he has grown I doubt it is more than 2cm. I always thought that Cox was 193cm anyway, and Chapman measured in at 193 last year, so maybe it is just that they are the same height?

You know... you can roughly approximate the size of Freddy's growth spurt from the information in this shot, if you happen to know the rough visual length proportions of the human body. (Knew my human anatomy drawing classes would come in handy someday 😜😜😜😂😂😂)

Switta is standing pretty upright there, as is Freddie. Switta's height is a known figure (I'm assuming Switta's height is correct and he's not grown himself)...so I'll use Switta's height as a very rough (and tough) unit of comparative proportion.

Switta is about 179/180cm now (or roughly 5 foot 11) while Freddy was 183cm when drafted (about six foot), so Freddie had a little over an inch or so over Switta at the time (about 3-4cm)

As Switta is only about 3-4cm below Freddie's original height, I'll just assume Switta is Freddie's old height of 183cm here for now, then take off the extra bit later on to compensate. I know that sounds nuts now, but bear with me... It should work (I hope).

The top of Switta's head is roughly at Freddie's eye level. Eye level just happens to be roughly the halfway point up your head, because the distance from the base of your chin to your eyes is roughly the same as the distance from your eyes to the very top of your head (or thereabouts)

Also, while it can vary between individuals, the height of your head is also *usually speaking* around about one eighth of your full height... give or take a bit.

Freddie is now about half a head taller than Switta is... so Freddie has grown roughly 1/16th taller then he was since being drafted (minus the extra 3-4cm or so I'm adding to Switta's height)

1/16 = 0.0625 in the decimal system

So Freddy's growth spurt:
≈ (183 x 0.0625) - 3cm
≈ 11.4375 - 3
≈ 8.4375cm (let's say 8 cm for simplicity)

So assuming Freddie's and Switta's bodies are both of common proportionate sizes, Freddie has grown VERY roughly about 6-8 cm since being drafted, which puts his current height approximately somewhere between 188cm to 192cm... roughly similar height to Mundy or Banfield, or slightly shorter than Fyfe. So while it is hard to judge in the photo, he's definitely grown a lot more than just 2 to 4 cm

Ye Gods... That was really bloody good ankle surgery Freddy had.... ..or else some really shitty math on my part! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

PS: What will be VERY interesting to see later on is how much of that growth was below Freddy's hips.

If it's his legs that have gotten significantly longer then it's conceivable he's also gotten a second or two faster through simple mechanical advantage. 😍😍

Last edited:
You know... you can roughly approximate the size of Freddy's growth spurt from the information in this shot, if you happen to know the rough visual length proportions of the human body. (Knew my human anatomy drawing classes would come in handy someday 😜😜😜😂😂😂)

Switta is standing pretty upright there, as is Freddie. Switta's height is a known figure (I'm assuming Switta's height is correct and he's not grown himself)...so I'll use Switta's height as a very rough (and tough) unit of comparative proportion.

Switta is about 179/180cm now (or roughly 5 foot 11) while Freddy was 183cm when drafted (about six foot), so Freddie had a little over an inch or so over Switta at the time (about 3-4cm)

As Switta is only about 3-4cm off Billy's original height, I'll just assume Switta is Freddie's old height of 183cm here, then take off the extra bit later on to compensate. I know that sounds nuts now, but bear with me... It'll work (I hope).

The top of Switta's head is roughly at Freddie's eye level. Eye level just happens to be roughly the halfway point up your head, because the distance from the base of your chin to your eyes is roughly the same as the distance from your eyes to the very top of your head (or thereabouts)

Also, while it can vary between individuals, the height of your head is also *usually speaking* around about one eighth of your full height... give or take a bit.

Freddie is now about half a head taller than Switta is now... so Freddie has grown roughly 1/16th taller then he was since being drafted (minus the extra 3-4cm or so I'm adding to Switta's height)

≈ (183 x 0.0625) - 3cm
≈ 11.4375 - 3

So assuming Freddie's and Switta's bodies are both of common proportionate sizes, Freddie has grown VERY roughly about 7-8 cm since being drafted, which puts his current height approximately somewhere between 189cm to 192cm... roughly the same height as Mundy or Banfield, or slightly shorter than Fyfe.

Ye Gods... That was really bloody good ankle surgery Freddy had...

(...or else some really shitty math! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣)

As Switta is only about 3-4cm off Billy's original height, I'll just assume Switta is Freddie's old height of 183cm here, then take off the extra bit later on to compensate. I know that sounds nuts now, but bear with me... It'll work (I hope).

Freddie is now about half a head taller than Switta is now... so Freddie has grown roughly 1/16th taller then he was since being drafted (minus the extra 3-4cm or so I'm adding to Switta's height)

≈ (183 x 0.0625) - 3cm
≈ 11.4375 - 3

So assuming Freddie's and Switta's bodies are both of common proportionate sizes, Freddie has grown VERY roughly about 7-8 cm since being drafted, which puts his current height approximately somewhere between 189cm to 192cm... roughly the same height as Mundy or Banfield, or slightly shorter than Fyfe.

Ye Gods... That was really bloody good ankle surgery Freddy had...

(...or else some really shitty math! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣)
wait a second you said he has grown about 7-8cm

then you say his height is 189-192cm

is that because of the error value.

wait a second you said he has grown about 7-8cm

then you say his height is 189-192cm

is that because of the error value.
Yeah, pretty much.

The proportions I quoted are all very approximate, and are based around "typical" adult proportions... But really there is no such beast.

Roughly speaking your arm-span is supposed to be about the same distance as your height... But that goes out the window in Chappy's case for example, as his arms are so long, when he stands up straight his wrists are below his waist and almost below his groin.

This means that he either has very long arms, or a very short trunk. After seeing the guy, it's definitely the latter.

So these measures are all very approximate, and are based around what looks good when drawing a human figure... But they're not SO approximate that they will be wildly off either. There's only so much variation to the average build.

Long story short, however much Freddie has grown, it's still a good sight more than just 3 or 4 cm. 😜😜😜

As Switta is only about 3-4cm below Freddie's original height, I'll just assume Switta is Freddie's old height of 183cm here for now, then take off the extra bit later on to compensate. I know that sounds nuts now, but bear with me... It should work (I hope).

Freddie is now about half a head taller than Switta is... so Freddie has grown roughly 1/16th taller then he was since being drafted (minus the extra 3-4cm or so I'm adding to Switta's height)

≈ (183 x 0.0625) - 3cm
≈ 11.4375 - 3

So assuming Freddie's and Switta's bodies are both of common proportionate sizes, Freddie has grown VERY roughly about 6-8 cm since being drafted, which puts his current height approximately somewhere between 188cm to 192cm... roughly similar height to Mundy or Banfield, or slightly shorter than Fyfe. So while it is hard to judge in the photo, he's definitely grown a lot more than just 2 to 4 cm

Ye Gods... That was really bloody good ankle surgery Freddy had.... ..or else some really shitty math on my part! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

PS: What will be VERY interesting to see later on is how much of that growth was below Freddy's hips.

If it's his legs that have gotten significantly longer then it's conceivable he's also gotten a second or two faster through simple mechanical advantage. 😍😍
Hopefully it isn't just his head that has grown so much.

* thanks. Found that interesting

Make sure you're accounting for wide angle lens, and how that changes perspective.

Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 10.15.04 am.png

Switta and Frederick are a tiny bit forward, but not so much to radically affect the proportions(?), so move them back on to the bottom green line, and maybe you'll have a better sense of their respective heights.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't get a read on Young. I have NFI if he is or not.
Reads much different to Cerra to me, laid back, easy going, just happy playing footy. Being best mates with Serong from my understanding helps.

I think he sticks around and Freddy with his close family connections was always my biggest concern

Make sure you're accounting for wide angle lens, and how that changes perspective.

View attachment 1216282

Switta and Frederick are a tiny bit forward, but not so much to radically affect the proportions(?), so move them back on to the bottom green line, and maybe you'll have a better sense of their respective heights.
Nice try, but nobody is on here for perspective.

View attachment 1216282

This is getting hilarious, full geometry and angles, might need to start going into trigonometry to make sure the angles are precise.

I've got a whole team working on this, including two international leaders in body language analysis who are about to give their findings on whether Chapman having his forearm on Frederick's shoulder (rather than his arm around Frederick's waste) means he's not committed to the club and will be asking for a trade at the end of his fourth year.

I can't get a read on Young. I have NFI if he is or not.

Wasn't Young the other player (along with Serong) who had the note pinned in his locker about the first players who win a premiership for Freo becoming immortals?

Wasn't Young the other player (along with Serong) who had the note pinned in his locker about the first players who win a premiership for Freo becoming immortals?
If the younger players are doing that, then first off God bless them, secondly it's all perfectly true - they will be immortal, and thirdly ...that really paints Cerra's departure in a whole new light doesn't it? He never really did care too much about the club... whereas players like Serong and Young want their names etched in stone here... makes you think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back