List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Chesser is good for his age when the ball is around him and he's looking less rushed. his disposal was better yesterday. He needs to be making strides in regards to getting to the right spots to provide a release from the back half with run and carry forward. His extremely low mark numbers are showing he's not making it to the right spots regularly enough on the outside as he's a good overhead mark.

Hopefully he can get to the point where he can hold a wing with lots of running, get onto some more ball, take 4-5 marks a game and average 20 disposals a game. At that point he will be AFL quality and doing so against an opposition, even a mid table opposition with their full complement of mids playing. Until then he is very much a work in progress. Hopefully that game sense comes.

I have seen it far too many times where kids miss significant time in their last 2 years of juniors and then in their first couple of years at the next level and they just then can't catch up in regards to reading the play. Decision making at the top level can improve, particularly with more and more experience, but the inherent ability to get to the right positions time and again is much more difficult with large amounts of missed development time.

Chesser is good for his age when the ball is around him and he's looking less rushed. his disposal was better yesterday. He needs to be making strides in regards to getting to the right spots to provide a release from the back half with run and carry forward. His extremely low mark numbers are showing he's not making it to the right spots regularly enough on the outside as he's a good overhead mark.

Hopefully he can get to the point where he can hold a wing with lots of running, get onto some more ball, take 4-5 marks a game and average 20 disposals a game. At that point he will be AFL quality and doing so against an opposition, even a mid table opposition with their full complement of mids playing. Until then he is very much a work in progress. Hopefully that game sense comes.

I have seen it far too many times where kids miss significant time in their last 2 years of juniors and then in their first couple of years at the next level and they just then can't catch up in regards to reading the play. Decision making at the top level can improve, particularly with more and more experience, but the inherent ability to get to the right positions time and again is much more difficult with large amounts of missed development time.

With all that in mind, I think Will Schofield’s comments during the call of yesterday’s game that we have to persist and keep playing him is spot on

He needs to learn all that at AFL level. Going back to WAFL only becomes an option if they need to teach him a new role should this one not pan out after an extended run at it

With all that in mind, I think Will Schofield’s comments during the call of yesterday’s game that we have to persist and keep playing him is spot on

He needs to learn all that at AFL level. Going back to WAFL only becomes an option if they need to teach him a new role should this one not pan out after an extended run at it

Personally I disagree with Schofield as long as the beagles are competitive. I'd like to see him go back and get a good feel for the level below and rack up some more stats and easy ball then see him come back, even if it's just for a few weeks. He can take the bits he's learnt, implement it at a lower level, improve his confidence and then come back for a better crack at the top level.

Chesser is getting better but I cannot see him being anything more than solid depth. Not great for what was a first round early’ish pick

I watched him closely on Saturday and his problem is that he does not read the play very well. This often places him in a catch up position. He goes in hard but hesitates to start which can easily be viewed as soft (he is not soft).

Nothing wrong with his skills, pace or attitude. He is a keeper but will never cost a high salary nor will he be a guaranteed best 23

Not a fan of the pick but has the skill set to make it.

Now just needs to get the wing footy IQ. Such a big role the way current footy is played. Has to be in afl because the the wing role is so different from state league to AFL.

Schofield was saying he thinks Chesser should be playing WAFL to get that experience, i am surprised he changed his tune on it.
I think all that was based on us having a competitive WAFL, which we have rarely been.
Saying he looked down on confidence, and going to a strong wafl side and getting 20+ would only help.
May have changed tune based on our wafls average performance, or may not have technically changed tune.
I could be off base, but i recall that being his points.

Chesser is getting better but I cannot see him being anything more than solid depth. Not great for what was a first round early’ish pick

I watched him closely on Saturday and his problem is that he does not read the play very well. This often places him in a catch up position. He goes in hard but hesitates to start which can easily be viewed as soft (he is not soft).

Nothing wrong with his skills, pace or attitude. He is a keeper but will never cost a high salary nor will he be a guaranteed best 23

I broadly agree with this.

I’d add in that some players naturally read the play, and some can learn it through experience. I also think him not having a natural read on the game is exacerbated by playing wing, where you need to be smart about your positioning and your running patterns, otherwise you can easily be made irrelevant while the ball sails over
Your head.

A good example is before maybe last week I NEVER saw Chesser present as the outlet kick out of D50 near the pocket where it felt like Gaff basically lived. A natural wingman knows to move to that spot to provide that option.

He can learn that. And I started seeing him getting to better spots in the last couple of weeks.

But also I think he’s just a better mid than he is wingman. Playing mid is easy. See ball, get ball, run, spread.

Bad ankle injury , without the injury would have played more AFL .
Doing well and has good pace .

The AFL is a beast of a game , maybe he lacks that attribute ....do we go back to Andrew Gaff who accumulates more possessions but lacks the pace ...unfortunately for Gaffy we need outside pace so Chesser has the spot at the moment .
Support the players , it's a tough game they need support .

Chesser's best game for the club, he's progressing well.

Would probably have been in our top 10 players yesterday which indicates he's on the right track.

A lot of his challenges seem to be above the shoulders, a continued run of games like yesterday and his confidence will grow, which will allow us to see what he can really contribute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We used to complain a lot but for a good decade we were blessed with good wingers. Gaff was elite for a large period of time. Masto was a whipping boy for all his career but he was a very handy complementary winger for a bloke like Gaff. Even Rosa was quite decent. We now seem to be getting a decent nucleus of inside mids but it seems like we really need Chesser to come on as an outside player

We used to complain a lot but for a good decade we were blessed with good wingers. Gaff was elite for a large period of time. Masto was a whipping boy for all his career but he was a very handy complementary winger for a bloke like Gaff. Even Rosa was quite decent. We now seem to be getting a decent nucleus of inside mids but it seems like we really need Chesser to come on as an outside player
We have GOAT Harvey tho

Chess is currently doing 1 or 2 nice things a game along with getting 10-15 possies.

Once he starts getting 15-25 possies and 4 or 5 good nice things people will start really noticing him coz he's got the speed just needs the ball reading ability.

Maybe he could randomly piss bolt out to the "fat" side like we always used to see Masto doing on his own on the wing giving us a free option.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t mind Chess just getting games and building his experience at the AFL level.. He’s had a cruel run with setbacks so it’s good just to see him in the team and he does look like he can be a damaging player through the middle when he starts building some consistency and growing with the other young boys in the team ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm guilty of this also, but isn't it funny how we label some AFL players soft.

I mean, even the ones who squib contests on the regular are still out there running 12+ km in a game while we sit on our backsides and type criticism with our undoubtedly donut-powdered greasy fingers.

There's nothing soft about players who train and fight for years to make it to this level.

Especially if they change sports and never get a single chance to show their wares.

Schoey nailed it in commentary. He needs to play afl. He will have ups and downs, as he has missed so much footy. But he is showing enough to give confidence he is apart of the future.
I agree with his sentiment on Chesser but he also said Witho was a crucial cog in the backline which I found odd.

Witho did some really good things on Sunday - chose the right attacking option with his kicks for the most part and took a courageous grab from memory. However, this year he’s been average with his kicking which he needs to be elite in for his position to make up for his slow pace and slower ball drop.

Last edited:
This kid has had a pretty rough time of it... he's played 19 games, while there are guys from his draft year that are pushing 40-50 games now. And it's not like he was racking up experience in the WAFL either... only 3 games there.

There was an interview where Simpson made some oblique reference to Chesser not putting in enough effort. I think it was after Port, where he acknowledged Chesser had played well as the sub, but had been lucky to make the side in the first place. I thought it was an interesting statement, because judging from some of the pics from the preseason, he looked like he'd bulked up significantly... which is often a sign of hard work.

I thought he looked pretty solid in the forward 50 against Richmond and I wonder if a bit more time forward might suit him.

This kid has had a pretty rough time of it... he's played 19 games, while there are guys from his draft year that are pushing 40-50 games now. And it's not like he was racking up experience in the WAFL either... only 3 games there.

There was an interview where Simpson made some oblique reference to Chesser not putting in enough effort. I think it was after Port, where he acknowledged Chesser had played well as the sub, but had been lucky to make the side in the first place. I thought it was an interesting statement, because judging from some of the pics from the preseason, he looked like he'd bulked up significantly... which is often a sign of hard work.

I thought he looked pretty solid in the forward 50 against Richmond and I wonder if a bit more time forward might suit him.

The comment Simmo made was that Chesser hadn’t demanded a spot in B22 based off his form pre-season.

Simmo openly said leading in to round 1 that Gaff was in 22 as it stood, but that wing role is up for grabs.

Gaff had first dibs and looked pretty poor, so was subbed and then dropped.

Nothing about effort (unless im thinking about something else).

I'm guilty of this also, but isn't it funny how we label some AFL players soft.

I mean, even the ones who squib contests on the regular are still out there running 12+ km in a game while we sit on our backsides and type criticism with our undoubtedly donut-powdered greasy fingers.

There's nothing soft about players who train and fight for years to make it to this level.

Especially if they change sports and never get a single chance to show their wares.
A huge reason I became a massive Gaff fan was the amount of hate and soft calls he got during 2013-14. Absolutely used to do my head in. He was never soft but those calls started to disappear the following year when he went on to win himself an AA blazer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back