List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

For all the talk of Johnson on this board, you’d think he’d be well in front of Chesser this season.

Looking at stats, Johnson is in front of Chesser in terms of uncontested possessions, other than that, they’re pretty similar.

cf6c64200d448ae20914300894805902.jpg

452bf80ac29a3ee720a31fde595a74f3.jpg

a10a56aef1cbaa903f371475329c7a5c.jpg

f5e76d353a034aa8732eb91b329af312.jpg

Evaluating their attributes, I’d prefer Chesser over Johnson. Slow mids are a thing of the last, even those with good skills.
He's a bloody freo player. Why are you comparing to him!!?? What the friar tuck. He's a crab and his stats are better marginally yes than chessers. What's your point. A freo bloke who is not much chop is better than chesser!!! I agree atm.

Since when is sending a player to the WAFL any good to develop a player? In the current incarnation where they're sent to the WAFL Beagles side to play alongside amateurs that's getting belted by 12 - 15 goals and our players aren't getting their hands on the ball?

Yeah that's a fair point, but he's yet to really play even at that level and build properly, let alone string together a block of games to show what he's capable of and what his body can do when it's healthy.

Wouldn't mind pairing him up with Gaff, Trew, Hall and see how he fairs at a slower game pace against less skillful WAFL players.

Instead he's just been thrown into AFL where he's out of his depth, and is retained each week because he's a high draft pick everyone expects will just get better.

It might work, might not. I'd rather the WAFL option. He knows what he needs to go work on, now let him do it there before bringing him back.

It also sets a good example for the current crew of WAFL battlers watching a player be held accountable, rather than wondering why Chesser is still playing after 10 touches and 7 touches the last fortnight.

Yeah that's a fair point, but he's yet to really play even at that level and build properly, let alone string together a block of games to show what he's capable of and what his body can do when it's healthy.

Wouldn't mind pairing him up with Gaff, Trew, Hall and see how he fairs at a slower game pace against less skillful WAFL players.

Instead he's just been thrown into AFL where he's out of his depth, and is retained each week because he's a high draft pick everyone expects will just get better.

It might work, might not. I'd rather the WAFL option. He knows what he needs to go work on, now let him do it there before bringing him back.

It also sets a good example for the current crew of WAFL battlers watching a player be held accountable, rather than wondering why Chesser is still playing after 10 touches and 7 touches the last fortnight.
Mate
I couldn't agree more. If he can't do it at AFL for now, wafl for a while. He should have more time there to show some of his possible talent. Or we can keep wondering!!!

Both looked quite a way off which I guess is no different to Chesser.

There hasn’t really been any mid from 2020/21 draft who has really stamped their authority in their team yet. Perkins probably the closest but very hit and miss, and has only been a bonafide mid this year.

It's a lazy comparison, ready made midfielder in a middling side compared to a player drafted with little exposed form to the biggest basket case in the competition.

Naturally Johnson is a better player now. That's obvious. But Chesser also has a higher ceiling. Will he reach it? That's the question and challenge.
I hope so but sincerely doubt it.
If he had ticker and effort he'd have more than one tackle for the season, seeing as we are generally chasing tail

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has some great attributes, just hoping it comes together particularly with game sense.
I hope to see some today!!
Not everyone likes every player. I just feel one table in 4 games shows poor effort and lack of ticker especially for a mid/ wingmen who is always around the ball. These 2 attributes are required at afl level to succeed.
I know we will give him longer as he was a high pick, but these 2 should be inbuilt. Unfortunately I haven't seen them in 18 games

Screenshot_20240414_071742_AFL.jpg

I hope to see some today!!
Not everyone likes every player. I just feel one table in 4 games shows poor effort and lack of ticker especially for a mid/ wingmen who is always around the ball. These 2 attributes are required at afl level to succeed.
I know we will give him longer as he was a high pick, but these 2 should be inbuilt. Unfortunately I haven't seen them in 18 games
Can we stop with the Johnson comparisons already.

Had a solid game today, showed there is a good footy player in there.

Looked a lot more confident, got alot of territory, a few inside 50’s and looked to have a lot More poise.

And 3 tackles, must have read old mate Jez’s posts saying he doesn’t have any ticker.
I have said all along
Happy to be proved wrong. Totally agree with above assessment!!

Chesser haters in shambles.

He was still dead average. Had a couple of nice plays against a team missing their entire starting midfield (Dusty playing forward as not fit) and then lost one of their few remaining senior players in the first quarter. Also missing their FF and CHF from last year and their retired former midfield captain from last year....

Get back to me when he actually plays a just honest straight good game where where he beats his opponent.

Campbell must be heartened to have 'supporters'

This coming from the " supporter " who has bagged Waterman relentlessly for years.

He was still dead average. Had a couple of nice plays against a team missing their entire starting midfield (Dusty playing forward as not fit) and then lost one of their few remaining senior players in the first quarter. Also missing their FF and CHF from last year and their retired former midfield captain from last year....

Get back to me when he actually plays a just honest straight good game where where he beats his opponent.
Also true sentiments

Remove this Banner Ad

Back