List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thorne going full soccer mum. I don't mind it ⚽:woman:

Look most know i don't rate Chesser, but the blind faith being shown by others at the same time is just laughable. As Monocle said, it's based on nothing really.

Everyone know's you need to give players time, some develop at faster rates than other etc etc, but it's not like he's a KPP. I don't know what the hell he is or what he's supposed to be at AFL level. Outside i'm guessing, given how we all melted about his lack of contested ball winning on draft night, so a flanker/wing type.

Chesser is a 3rd year player now "He's not! He was injured in his first year so that makes this only his second ye....!"

No, he has been in the AFL for 3 seasons now, had 2 full preseasons, ergo a third year player. His missed time with injuries just adds to the dud selection, it doesn't get to be some sort of excuse for his average form. He's been healthy for some time now, he's got a big enough frame, there's not really any excuse for it to not be clicking.

Said time and time again he needs to go find some form and confidence with a big block in the WAFL, but the MC prefer to leave him in the seniors. 10 touches this week, 7 touches last week. The bloke is a first :clapping: round :clapping: pick. It's natural to expect a bit more by this point.
Totally agree. WAFL and if he doesn't shine, that's where he's at.

I would have liked to have seen Matt Johnson drafted in 2021.

I am even more firmly of that opinion now, but we drafted Chesser and I hope he becomes a solid player although I am not seeing that now.

Perhaps as many have said a solid block of games in the WAFL might help him find his game.

Like some others have said I see him as timid which is a big problem.

For all the talk of Johnson on this board, you’d think he’d be well in front of Chesser this season.

Looking at stats, Johnson is in front of Chesser in terms of uncontested possessions, other than that, they’re pretty similar.

cf6c64200d448ae20914300894805902.jpg

452bf80ac29a3ee720a31fde595a74f3.jpg

a10a56aef1cbaa903f371475329c7a5c.jpg

f5e76d353a034aa8732eb91b329af312.jpg

Evaluating their attributes, I’d prefer Chesser over Johnson. Slow mids are a thing of the last, even those with good skills.

For all the talk of Johnson on this board, you’d think he’d be well in front of Chesser this season.

Looking at stats, Johnson is in front of Chesser in terms of uncontested possessions, other than that, they’re pretty similar.

cf6c64200d448ae20914300894805902.jpg

452bf80ac29a3ee720a31fde595a74f3.jpg

a10a56aef1cbaa903f371475329c7a5c.jpg

f5e76d353a034aa8732eb91b329af312.jpg

Evaluating their attributes, I’d prefer Chesser over Johnson. Slow mids are a thing of the last, even those with good skills.
As you stated he's ahead of Chesser in almost all areas, and that's only a comparison against one average docker

As you stated he's ahead of Chesser in almost all areas, and that's only a comparison against one average docker

The differences are so marginal.

The UP is easily explained but the fact we are getting 100+ disposals than our opposition as a team every week.

I specifically chose Johnson because the obvious draft history between the two, and Johnson is the player Chesser gets compared to on this board the most.

It's a lazy comparison, ready made midfielder in a middling side compared to a player drafted with little exposed form to the biggest basket case in the competition.

Naturally Johnson is a better player now. That's obvious. But Chesser also has a higher ceiling. Will he reach it? That's the question and challenge.

Last edited:
The differences are so marginal.

The UP is easily explained but the fact we are getting 100+ disposals than our opposition as a team every week.

I specifically chose Johnson because the obvious draft history between the two, and Johnson is the player Chesser gets compared to on this board the most.
Because he is as good as Johnson

It's a lazy comparison, ready made midfielder in a middling side compared to a player drafted with little exposed form to the biggest basket case in the competition.

Naturally Johnson is a better player now. That's obvious. But Chesser also has a higher ceiling. Will he reach it? That's the question and challenge.

Yes. That's the answer.

Hard to get uncontested possessions on a wing in a side that struggles to transition the ball and get it out of the defensive 50, last week has been the outlier so far. Johnson having more is moot when fremantle as a whole prefer to chip kick whilst we have been trying to play more direct (and being mostly unsuccessful before the Sydney game)

Otherwise there stats are largely similar or of minimal difference

Just watched the Swans game again. Chesser’s third term was very good in terms of effort and putting his body on the line. Did some very good things, interspersed with some ordinary turnovers, not all of which were totally on him.

His issue is production (which is somewhat role driven). For anyone who says they have never seen him do anything AFL worthy, watch the third term again and block out the turnovers. There is a quality player there if (granted a big if at this stage) he can up his production and the onus is on the coaches as well to find an appropriate role for him. They aren’t doing him many favours with how they play him.

Just watched the Swans game again. Chesser’s third term was very good in terms of effort and putting his body on the line. Did some very good things, interspersed with some ordinary turnovers, not all of which were totally on him.

His issue is production (which is somewhat role driven). For anyone who says they have never seen him do anything AFL worthy, watch the third term again and block out the turnovers. There is a quality player there if (granted a big if at this stage) he can up his production and the onus is on the coaches as well to find an appropriate role for him. They aren’t doing him many favours with how they play him.
He had 5 kicks and butchered 3. No tackles and as a wingman gained not many metres
Another dougall

He had 5 kicks and butchered 3. No tackles and as a wingman gained not many metres
Another dougall
They won't play him mid as he gets exposed for lack of pace and want to tackle for the ball.
Hard to ignore the turnovers
I've watched the game 3 or 4 times. The best of our season so far. But to say he had a good game or quarter is delusional
Yeo, gov were good

They won't play him mid as he gets exposed for lack of pace and want to tackle for the ball.
Hard to ignore the turnovers
I've watched the game 3 or 4 times. The best of our season so far. But to say he had a good game or quarter is delusional
Yeo, gov were good
And he threw his body into several contests and went hard at it, impacting the contest positively. One turnover was a result of pressure due to the shithouse kick that went to no one and he collected it under pressure.

I am hardly delusional but simply seeing something you don’t. No drama if you don’t rate him but I see potential, lacking in confidence and a clearly defined role that suits his attributes, freely acknowledging he needs to lift production. Given he has played 18 games, I am willing to “delude” myself that a player may emerge with more experience.

Am I convinced he will succeed, no I am not. But I think people go way too early on young players finding their feet.

I also stand by the having a good third quarter, acknowledging the turnovers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And he threw his body into several contests and went hard at it, impacting the contest positively. One turnover was a result of pressure due to the shithouse kick that went to no one and he collected it under pressure.

I am hardly delusional but simply seeing something you don’t. No drama if you don’t rate him but I see potential, lacking in confidence and a clearly defined role that suits his attributes, freely acknowledging he needs to lift production. Given he has played 18 games, I am willing to “delude” myself that a player may emerge with more experience.

Am I convinced he will succeed, no I am not. But I think people go way too early on young players finding their feet.

Time will tell. I am happy to be proved wrong
Give it a year or two 30 more games and then we will know. Atm not cutting it. He wasn't drafted as a wingman, why play him there. There's obviously reason

10 possessions for the whole game only 3 forward of centre and 3 turnovers. Only 7 players on the field out of 46 had less. I don't call that good in any terms. Sorry

10 possessions for the whole game only 3 forward of centre and 3 turnovers. Only 7 players on the field out of 46 had less. I don't call that good in any terms. Sorry
And I specifically referenced the third quarter not the whole game (in which you said above he had at least half of those possessions), in the context of people saying they haven’t seen him do anything at AFL level. You may need to re-read my posts as you seem to be inferring something that I didn’t say and running with a narrative that is somewhat irrelevant to my point. For ease of reference, I said:

“Just watched the Swans game again. Chesser’s third term was very good in terms of effort and putting his body on the line. Did some very good things, interspersed with some ordinary turnovers”…

Key words being “in terms of effort and putting his body on the line”, oh, and “the third quarter”.

And I specifically referenced the third quarter not the whole game (in which you said above he had at least half of those possessions), in the context of people saying they haven’t seen him do anything at AFL level. You may need to re-read my posts as you seem to be inferring something that I didn’t say and running with a narrative that is somewhat irrelevant to my point. For ease of reference, I said:

“Just watched the Swans game again. Chesser’s third term was very good in terms of effort and putting his body on the line. Did some very good things, interspersed with some ordinary turnovers”…

Key words being “in terms of effort and putting his body on the line”, oh, and “the third quarter”.
I have watched the game 3 times and the 3rd quarter. He still only had one possession forward of centre. Effort was good but nothing to rave about. It us a 4 quarter game. I get your point totally but disagree. One possession forward of centre and one pressure act doesn't warrant a 3rd quarter.
My point is he is not good enough in many areas atm for a high draft pick and I believe he is another Andrew Mcdougall

Different types of players but I think similarly of him as Venables. Has just missed too much development due to injury and doesn't have the innate game sense required of where to be and when to make an impact.

A long shot to make it despite having great athletic abilities. Needs to spend a season in the WAFL trying to develop that game sense and winning ball at a lower grade and if he significantly improves see how that stacks up at AFL down the track.

If he was a 4th round pick people would be calling for him to be delisted and or since he's contracted calling him a list clogger.

Different types of players but I think similarly of him as Venables. Has just missed too much development due to injury and doesn't have the innate game sense required of where to be and when to make an impact.

A long shot to make it despite having great athletic abilities. Needs to spend a season in the WAFL trying to develop that game sense and winning ball at a lower grade and if he significantly improves see how that stacks up at AFL down the track.

If he was a 4th round pick people would be calling for him to be delisted and or since he's contracted calling him a list clogger.
Agree Wafl to see his numbers and experience

Basically. He desperately needs this stint in the WAFL to build something but it really doesn't look like it's coming.

Plenty will be happy to be proven wrong if he does get it together. We really need that pick to come off after Brander, Cameron and all Venables disappeared.

Since when is sending a player to the WAFL any good to develop a player? In the current incarnation where they're sent to the WAFL Beagles side to play alongside amateurs that's getting belted by 12 - 15 goals and our players aren't getting their hands on the ball?

Since when is sending a player to the WAFL any good to develop a player? In the current incarnation where they're sent to the WAFL Beagles side to play alongside amateurs that's getting belted by 12 - 15 goals and our players aren't getting their hands on the ball?
At least they won’t have to play defensive wing

Basically. He desperately needs this stint in the WAFL to build something but it really doesn't look like it's coming.

Plenty will be happy to be proven wrong if he does get it together. We really need that pick to come off after Brander, Cameron and all Venables disappeared.
Poor List management and bit of luck

Remove this Banner Ad

Back