List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Yeah guys.

If you're going to focus on Chesser, take it to the Harley Reid thread.
Incidentally in the myriad of interviews Harley has given this week he identified that he spends a lot of his down time with Campbell. Didn't specifically mention anyone IIRC but did mention Chesser.

Incidentally in the myriad of interviews Harley has given this week he identified that he spends a lot of his down time with Campbell. Didn't specifically mention anyone IIRC but did mention Chesser.

I did hear Harley saying that.

Chesser is a smart boy. Immediate contract extension to 2030. Operation keep Harley

In that case, even if Chesser doesn't make the grade, might have to retain him to keep Harley on the list.

Worth it.

In that case, even if Chesser doesn't make the grade, might have to retain him to keep Harley on the list.

Worth it.
Definitely worth sacrificing a list position to keep Harley.

It’s already clear that Harley’s a freak. He is dragging the club up to competiveness and ultimately success.

I have never seen a player come from junior football and impact games like he is.

I'm guilty of this also, but isn't it funny how we label some AFL players soft.

I mean, even the ones who squib contests on the regular are still out there running 12+ km in a game while we sit on our backsides and type criticism with our undoubtedly donut-powdered greasy fingers.

There's nothing soft about players who train and fight for years to make it to this level.

Especially if they change sports and never get a single chance to show their wares.
Is that small text petch related? I love how you have gone into bat for petch for a while now. I think is having a great start to the season. If we can have a bit of patience for Chesser we will start to see how good he can be.

I'm guilty of this also, but isn't it funny how we label some AFL players soft.

I mean, even the ones who squib contests on the regular are still out there running 12+ km in a game while we sit on our backsides and type criticism with our undoubtedly donut-powdered greasy fingers.

There's nothing soft about players who train and fight for years to make it to this level.

Especially if they change sports and never get a single chance to show their wares.
I do not think for one minute that Chesser is soft or a squib. What I have noticed is he gets caught in no mans land - not knowing when to go in and impact the contest. When he does, he is tough. When he hesitates, I think it is an indication of his game awareness and judgement.

My hope is that his lack of football continuity in the last 5 years has been detrimental and hopefully he can regain this in 2024 and 2025.

His running is elite and his hand and foot skills are more than OK. Confidence in self will be a major factor. Hopefully he retains his wing and Gaff is in the stands giving him feedback the following week.

I do not think for one minute that Chesser is soft or a squib. What I have noticed is he gets caught in no mans land - not knowing when to go in and impact the contest. When he does, he is tough. When he hesitates, I think it is an indication of his game awareness and judgement.

My hope is that his lack of football continuity in the last 5 years has been detrimental and hopefully he can regain this in 2024 and 2025.

His running is elite and his hand and foot skills are more than OK. Confidence in self will be a major factor. Hopefully he retains his wing and Gaff is in the stands giving him feedback the following week.

Is this just about the number 1 difference between so called "natural footballers" and the maligned "athlete"? The ability to know when to go to the contest, when to stay wide as an outlet, sit on a man or run to provide an option seems to be something that some juniors instinctively get and others don't seem to ever pick up the knack. Not sure how learnable/teachable it is. Intangibles.

Is this just about the number 1 difference between so called "natural footballers" and the maligned "athlete"? The ability to know when to go to the contest, when to stay wide as an outlet, sit on a man or run to provide an option seems to be something that some juniors instinctively get and others don't seem to ever pick up the knack. Not sure how learnable/teachable it is. Intangibles.

No, it is situation and role based.

Chesser is playing wing, he is at times hesitant and second guessing himself about when to go in to support mids and when to keep his width and not get sucked in, and sometimes gets stuck between the two and becomes irrelevant.

When he plays inside either at WAFL or intraclub, the hesitation - which codes as meekness to some watching- isn’t apparent.

Didn't get much of the ball but made great impact, and great pressure around the ground, he is starting to stick a tackle.

Thought they should have subbed Petch, he looked completely gassed in the 4th.
I liked his pirraouette out of one tackle , broke away with a neat kick . Reidesque

I liked his pirraouette out of one tackle , broke away with a neat kick . Reidesque
Everyone was breaking tackles. Even Hough had a couple hanging off him and broke free.

In the past, players would just panic kick around the corner. Now, a lot more of them appear to be holding onto the ball longer and riding out tackles.

Could be a confidence thing, could be a coaching directive. Great to see though.

Back