Opinion VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I was there in 2018 and I have no doubt a minimum of 60k genuine Collingwood members/fans were in the ground. I have no idea how they got tickets but they did.
AFL Members a big reason for that, Pies have the most AFL club members by a street, so that allocation would be extremely Pie heavy. This isnt fair to non-vic clubs, I am all for scrapping AFL members that undercut the clubs anyway.

But also visually it would appear to be even more Pie dominated, as you aint really getting neutral people rocking up in royal blue and gold. The neutral corporates or MCC be in standard black jacket / white shirt and or your black coat looks.

So you look around the stadium and dont see much yellow and blue, but instead heaps more Black n White. But plenty are actively supporting anybody but Collingwood.

I have friends from Adelaide who have thousands in Qantas credits.

So what you are saying is pay a few grand or book 6 months in advance.

Compare that to a local supporter. 200 for a ticket.

I pay in advance in January every second year and go to the GF regardless who is playing. I live in Perth. You should try it.

But also visually it would appear to be even more Pie dominated, as you aint really getting neutral people rocking up in royal blue and gold. The neutral corporates or MCC be in standard black jacket / white shirt and or your black coat looks.

So you look around the stadium and dont see much yellow and blue, but instead heaps more Black n White. But plenty are actively supporting anybody but Collingwood.
This is true. The only time I am wearing gold out and about is at a Hawks game.

Actually only 17,000 of the 100,000 Collingwood members get a grand final ticket, if you're a Collingwood member who wants a Grand Final ticket you spend an extra few hundred extra year to be able to get one - that's not just the years we make grand finals - that's every year. It's probably more expensive for a Pies supporter in the long run to see our team play in the grand final than it is for Freo fans.

Same for most clubs. Non Victorians just add 2-5 K once they get the ticket.

What the feck are SA / NSW club members spending 5k on?

They can just drive over on Friday and drive home on Sunday if they dont want to soak up the parade and post game stuff.

A few tanks of petrol and couple of nights accom split across a group of mates.

If a family coming with kids, work your network and pretty sure most would be able to find a family friend willing to put em up for a couple of nights for a token gesture. So just an extra few hundred in fuel to see their team play in a GF!

Just looked it up for Freo. It's $90...
GWS and GC you're not going to pay extra - you'll get a ticket.

So it's cheaper in the long run and you get a weekend away thrown in.

Notas bad as your NGA complaints, but once again you're complaining about the better deal.

Last edited:
What the feck are SA / NSW club members spending 5k on?

They can just drive over on Friday and drive home on Sunday if they dont want to soak up the parade and post game stuff.

A few tanks of petrol and couple of nights accom split across a group of mates.

If a family coming with kids, work your network and pretty sure most would be able to find a family friend willing to put em up for a couple of nights for a token gesture. So just an extra few hundred in fuel to see their team play in a GF!
Or $300 or so for 2 nights in Box Hill fully refundable. Great eating options and 25 min into town on the train.

Or $300 or so for 2 nights in Box Hill fully refundable. Great eating options and 25 min into town on the train.
Yep.

Travel and cost aint really a significant impost for anybody but WA fans.

But WA based fans chose to live in one of the most isolated cities in the world. A bit rich to then complain how the isolation means it costs more to get anywhere else.

There was supposedly an error this year and some Pies fans with a guaranteed ticket say they missed out.

Yeh they stuffed up last year, but 2018 cat a ticket holders all got GF tickets.

Eagles do it differently to dockers and other clubs - it's not an add on for any membership, it's part of the most expensive seats benefits.

So unfortunately I'm stuck paying for "premium" seats if I want grand final access - which are way more than Vic members have to pay. I'd rather have cheaper seats and pay $90 extra.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh they stuffed up last year, but 2018 cat a ticket holders all got GF tickets.

Eagles do it differently to dockers and other clubs - it's not an add on for any membership, it's part of the most expensive seats benefits.

So unfortunately I'm stuck paying for "premium" seats if I want grand final access - which are way more than Vic members have to pay. I'd rather have cheaper seats and pay $90 extra.
I have Collingwood buddies paying about $1k for their guarantee. Hawks it's about $500 atm but when we come good that will be sold out instantly. WC fans get gouged because of their big numbers and limited other options.

I have Collingwood buddies paying about $1k for their guarantee. Hawks it's about $500 atm but when we come good that will be sold out instantly. WC fans get gouged because of their big numbers and limited other options.
It's actually $300 for the guaranteed seat for Collingwood, but it's got quite a big wait list at the moment. So you can't wait until we're good. You've got to pay up every year if you want a grand final ticket when we make it. The $1000 that your mates are talking about would include the standard membership and reserved seating for games.

Just looked it up for Freo. It's $90...
GWS and GC you're not going to pay extra - you'll get a ticket.

So it's cheaper in the long run and you get a weekend away thrown in.

Notas bad as your NGA complaints, but once again you're complaining about the better deal.

Next you will tell me playing away at the mcg is an advantage for non Vic sides.

Next you will tell me playing away at the mcg is an advantage for non Vic sides.

No I won't.

At the end of this round, we'll most likely have GC, Freo, Sydney, GWS and Port in the top half and Coll, Adelaide and WCE in the bottom half - that's the result of the AFL equalisation rules, those 3 teams would dominate the comp without the equalisation rules, but a heap of fans are complaining that the competition is rigged against them ... The Northern states with the equalisation laws giving them a chance and then with their academy concessions actually giving them an advantage think the comp is rigged against them? It's wierd. Freo, who would be crushed to dust by WCE, without the equalisation rules think the comp is rigged against them?

No I won't.

At the end of this round, we'll most likely have GC, Freo, Sydney, GWS and Port in the top half and Coll, Adelaide and WCE in the bottom half - that's the result of the AFL equalisation rules, those 3 teams would dominate the comp without the equalisation rules, but a heap of fans are complaining that the competition is rigged against them ... The Northern states with the equalisation laws giving them a chance and then with their academy concessions actually giving them an advantage think the comp is rigged against them? It's wierd. Freo, who would be crushed to dust by WCE, without the equalisation rules think the comp is rigged against them?

What equalisation rules are you speaking of that have halted Collingwood, Adelaide and West Coast?

No I won't.

I am not talking about Freo.

I am talking about all non Vic sides.

No I won't.

What are you actually talking about? What equalisation laws and how or why would Freo be ‘crushed to dust’ without them?

To the thread topic, for me the decision to lock the GF into one venue for so long in one contract was the biggest joke. The opportunity was there, and has now been tried and tested to cycle the GF around which to me would be the most iconic step towards a truly national competition. I think it was extraordinarily short sighted and simply pandering to the elite power brokers at the MCC.

I am not talking about Freo.

I am talking about all non Vic sides.

It's not state versus state, it's an 18 team comp.

Essentially there's equalisation rules that are the only reason 6 of the non Vic clubs and most of the Vic clubs are competitive.

Then the 4 northern clubs are given a handicap - an intentional advantage with their academies.

The MCG granny advantages about half the Vic teams in the years they are good enough to make the granny - once every 9 years.

Then there's a whole lot of minor advantages and disadvantages. Some moan about some of their disadvantages and feel they should be getting a handicap.

Let's give the WA teams a 4 goal handicap to compensate for travel?

The grand finalists coming off the shortest preseasons had to start the season a week earlier than everyone else and both started the year really badly - maybe award them with an extra win as a handicap?

Etc ...

Last edited:
What are you actually talking about? What equalisation laws and how or why would Freo be ‘crushed to dust’ without them?
WCE would be a state team spending triple on their coaching and recruiting without the equalisation rules. They'd win the flag most years. Collingwood and Adelaide would be their only competition.

What equalisation rules are you speaking of that have halted Collingwood, Adelaide and West Coast?
The cap on football department spending.

Teams like Port, GC, GWS, Melbourne, North, StK etc cant compete with WC,Adel,Coll and Syd f it was open slather in relation to assistant coaches, wellbeing officers, recruitment, data analytics etc.

WCE would be a state team spending triple on their coaching and recruiting without the equalisation rules. They'd win the flag most years.

You keep talking about equalisation laws and rules. Please be specific with what you are talking about.

WA could easily support two AFL teams in an unregulated environment.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back