Opinion VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct, more premiums were paid than the AFL allocated. Ends up in a ballot.
First I've heard of this. So people paid for a guaranteed GF membership but didn't get a GF ticket? Vic clubs limit the number of such memberships sold based on the number of GF tickets to be allocated, and by some margin too. Do you have any sort of doco or link? I would have thought this would be much bigger news if true.

First I've heard of this. So people paid for a guaranteed GF membership but didn't get a GF ticket? Vic clubs limit the number of such memberships sold based on the number of GF tickets to be allocated, and by some margin too. Do you have any sort of doco or link? I would have thought this would be much bigger news if true.

Will check it out mate, you have to remember the Eagles have over 100K members.

Yep, Pies gauranteed GF access tickets are capped to just the real top level memberships, and sells out every year.

They all end up in a ballot to get the different category seats available if we make it.

And then they a smaller amount for other members for another ballot.

Makes no sense that a club would be able to over subscribe gauranteed GF ticket memberships.

Another factor of the "rotating" GF, so ALL 18 clubs instead of being able to sell 12k guaranteed memberships it might be only 5k one year....even bigger revenue loss for the league.

Sorry my bad, just as Doppleganger explained it’s similar at West Coast.

Just on the accommodation issue, I understand the difficulties compared with someone who lives in Melbourne, but it really is an issue of planning ahead.

If you wait until GF week and want to stay in a nice place near the G it will cost you an arm and a leg. But if you are willing to stay 30 min out of the city near a train line it is substantially cheaper. Melbourne has a great train network and it's easy to get into town. You can easily get half decent places for a hundred or so a night. I just took a quick look and for example you can get Thu/Fri/Sat night GF week in Box Hill about 25 min from town and a great place if you are into Asian food for $450 all up fully refundable. You could even stay in Geelong only an hour on the train.

Air fares kill you.

How early can you book?

Booking now is just silly.

Sorry my bad, just as Doppleganger explained it’s similar at West Coast.
Pies had issues last year as some top levels with gauranteed GF access complained that they got nosebleed cat 6 seats or standing room, whilst other members who were in the next ballot got better seats.

But yeah all big clubs have shiteloads of members who miss out.

You would think most fans would be united in wanting to maximise club members being able to see their team compete in a GF.

But the WA fans (not yourself) seem to prioritise making it harder for Melbourne based fans to go and in the process, reducing tickets available to WC members.

Air fares kill you.

How early can you book?

Booking now is just silly.
'Fully refundable' for accommodation.
Airfares you can book now, I remember talking to KrankyAl years back that you could book an airfare from Perth for circa $500 return in May 2018 or $700 fully refundable. Probably a fair bit more these days.

Last edited:
Pies had issues last year as some top levels with gauranteed GF access complained that they got nosebleed cat 6 seats or standing room, whilst other members who were in the next ballot got better seats.

But yeah all big clubs have shiteloads of members who miss out.

You would think most fans would be united in wanting to maximise club members being able to see their team compete in a GF.

But the WA fans (not yourself) seem to prioritise making it harder for Melbourne based fans to go and in the process, reducing tickets available to WC members.

Maybe it needs to get like the Superbowl, minimum cost for a ticket is $1000 or even $2000.
You want to go then you got to pay.
It’s against our way in Australia but it’s heading this way anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe it needs to get like the Superbowl, minimum cost for a ticket is $1000 or even $2000.
You want to go then you got to pay.
It’s against our way in Australia but it’s heading this way anyway.
That is how majority of the Pie members end up getting a ticket in 2023 if they weren't a top tier clun membership or AFL Gold member that gaurantees a seat.

And that is at the 100k seat stadium.

Why anybody thinks playing the GF at a 40k capacity stadium is a win for club members is beyond me.

You talk geography a lot so why don’t the AFL try to end up with a 50/50 crowd split/
You know as well as I do if a Vic club is playing a non vic club it ends up around a 65-35% split the vic way because if obvious reasons that the game is in Victoria.
Why not address that? 30K non vic team members get a ticket and 16 for the Vic side. Knowing that the Vic club members will find tickets as they always do.
Look it’s trying to find a way to get it right but I know once members tickets are gone it was almost impossible yo get a ticket from WA yet in Victoria it seemed quite east to find tickets to the game? How?
Granny crowds are actually pretty tame. GWS did a great job getting so close in front of the insane mob of a Collingwood MCG prelim.

I doubt there would have been as high as 65% barracking for th Pies on GF day. Vics don't barrack for Collingwood to win unless they're Collingwood supporters. Only 17,000 Collingwood members, 17,000 Brissy members. The other 65,000 would have been very split between the two teams - but with the Pies supporters more manic than the neutrals barracking for Brissy on the day.

It's a disgrace that so few tickets go to members. THe FA cup final has 60,000 of their 90,000 stadium going to club members.

Granny crowds are actually pretty tame. GWS did a great job getting so close in front of the insane mob of a Collingwood MCG prelim.

I doubt there would have been as high as 65% barracking for th Pies on GF day. Vics don't barrack for Collingwood to win unless they're Collingwood supporters. Only 17,000 Collingwood members, 17,000 Brissy members. The other 65,000 would have been very split between the two teams - but with the Pies supporters more manic than the neutrals barracking for Brissy on the day.

It's a disgrace that so few tickets go to members. THe FA cup final has 60,000 of their 90,000 stadium going to club members.

I was there in 2018 and I have no doubt a minimum of 60k genuine Collingwood members/fans were in the ground. I have no idea how they got tickets but they did.

I have friends from Adelaide who have thousands in Qantas credits.

Compare that to a local supporter. 200 for a ticket.
Your friends from Adelaide can just drive over, split a couple of tanks of fuel between 4.

Same with mates in Sydney.

It is geography.

The important part is the club member actually getting a ticket.

Playing a GF at Metricon on the Gold Coast in front of 25k wont even help Gold Coast members get to watch the Suns.

I have friends from Adelaide who have thousands in Qantas credits.

So what you are saying is pay a few grand or book 6 months in advance.

Compare that to a local supporter. 200 for a ticket.
Actually only 17,000 of the 100,000 Collingwood members get a grand final ticket, if you're a Collingwood member who wants a Grand Final ticket you spend an extra few hundred extra year to be able to get one - that's not just the years we make grand finals - that's every year. It's probably more expensive for a Pies supporter in the long run to see our team play in the grand final than it is for Freo fans.

I was there in 2018 and I have no doubt a minimum of 60k genuine Collingwood members/fans were in the ground. I have no idea how they got tickets but they did.
17k club members, about 7k gold AFL members, likely similar MCC members, GF teams also get some extras for internal use. Their fans probably snapped up thousands of the expensive $2k+ AFL packages too that are available to anyone. Also some seepage of corporate/sponsor type tickets. I would say 40-45k. Their fans are louder than the Eagles too. I wore a black top and was going for the Pies so you may have inadvertently counted me. Where I was sitting it was about every second person Pies and it was loud, but from a distance it likely looked 100% Pies.

Actually only 17,000 of the 100,000 Collingwood members get a grand final ticket, if you're a Collingwood member who wants a Grand Final ticket you spend an extra few hundred extra year to be able to get one - that's not just the years we make grand finals - that's every year. It's probably more expensive for a Pies supporter in the long run to see our team play in the grand final than it is for Freo fans.
Not quite. its 17,000 plus 10k Gold AFL members plus probably 10k MCC members.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back