Opinion VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don’t think much of it matters, just be a better club yourselves and demand better from them.

Every fan base has whiners who think they are hard done by as an excuse for being s**t, I tend to ignore them.

Looking at all vic sides as a conglomerate is stupid as well. I don’t give a s**t about other vic sides being any good, I’d be happy if it was us at the top battling 7 non vic sides, I couldn’t care less. I tend to want non Vic sides to beat Vic sides most of the time on GF day as well.

If you look at the poorest sides this century it’s mainly been vic sides who have had extended runs at the bottom, aside from Gold Coast. Do we just put that down to s**t management, but claim flags won by vic sides are because of unfair advantages? If it was the case wouldn’t all benefit and non vic sides usually be towards the bottom more so?
Note that I’m referring to the AFL as the competition, not its fan base. They do look at the Vic clubs as a conglomerate as they are the biggest market. The fans not so much as you’ve indicated.

Vic clubs gravitate to each end of the ladder, and non Vic clubs gravitate towards the center. That’s mainly the travel factor, where the best Vic clubs of any particular year are favourites in 18-20 games because of the lesser travel, and the worst Vic clubs are underdogs in 18-20 games for the same reason.
Whereas for non Vic clubs, the best ones each year still have to play 10 genuine away games every year and a 50% win rate and a nearperfect home record still caps them at 16-17, vice versa for the worse ones which will still win a good share of their genuine home games and pinch 1-2 interstate to get up to 7-8.

Because they can do as they please and they don’t have to do what you think they should.
I'm not here directing what people should or shouldn't do, but yep their choice, they choose misery, so be it.

I'm just observing it as that, follow a created team in a faux national league and lament it, they don't have to they have choices.

If the GF was hosted by the side which earnt it...
False

The Grand Final is not a home game. Irrespective of ladder positions, no team gets to "host" the GF.

The Grand Final is played at the traditional home of football, the MCG, which also happens to be the closest thing we have to a neutral venue.

An equal number of tickets are made available to the two competing clubs.

At least one-third of the GF attendance is made up of neutral scenesters who don't make much noise at all, hence the surprisingly subdued atmosphere on Grand Final day compared to every other MCG game which draws 85,000+

Of course there is a lot of support on GF day for the Vic teams in the MCC and AFL members. But there are also many so-called "neutrals" in the MCC section who throw their support behind the non-Vic teams to knock off the hated Vic rivals.

I went to the 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018 Grand Finals. Sydney, Fremantle and West Coast had a LOT of crowd support in these games. Not 50%-50%, but WAY MORE than the 95%-5% partisan crowds the Vic teams must face when they play away finals in Perth, Adelaide or Sydney.

Last edited:
False

The Grand Final is not a home game. Irrespective of ladder positions, no team gets to "host" the GF.

The Grand Final is played at the traditional home of football, the MCG, which also happens to be the closest thing we have to a neutral venue.

At least one-third of the GF attendance is made up of neutrals who don't make noise at all, hence the surprisingly subdued atmosphere on Grand Final day compared to every other MCG game which draws 85,000+

Of course there is a lot of support on GF day for the Vic teams in the MCC and AFL members. But there are also many "neutrals" in MCC who throw their support behind the non-Vic teams to knock off the hated Vic rivals.

I went to the 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 Grand Finals. Sydney, Freo and West Coast had a LOT of crowd support in these games. Not 50%-50%, but WAY MORE than the 95%-5% partisan crowds the Vic teams must face when they play away finals in Perth, Adelaide or Sydney.
lol no.
Vics get to host it. This is not a hill to die on.
Rest of the country has to mortgage their homes to get to the GF, Vics just catch the train in.

False

At least one-third of the GF attendance is made up of neutral scenesters who don't make much noise at all, hence the surprisingly subdued atmosphere on Grand Final day compared to every other MCG game which draws 85,000+

Of course there is a lot of support on GF day for the Vic teams in the MCC and AFL members. But there are also many so-called "neutrals" in the MCC section who throw their support behind the non-Vic teams to knock off the hated Vic rivals.

I went to the 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 Grand Finals. Sydney, Freo and West Coast had a LOT of crowd support in these games. Not 50%-50%, but WAY MORE than the 95%-5% partisan crowds the Vic teams must face when they play away finals in Perth, Adelaide or Sydney.

I said IF, not that it should.

You wouldn’t be able to organise it that way logistically anyway. You’d have to nominate before the season began where it would be held.

Note that I’m referring to the AFL as the competition, not its fan base. They do look at the Vic clubs as a conglomerate as they are the biggest market. The fans not so much as you’ve indicated.

Vic clubs gravitate to each end of the ladder, and non Vic clubs gravitate towards the center. That’s mainly the travel factor, where the best Vic clubs of any particular year are favourites in 18-20 games because of the lesser travel, and the worst Vic clubs are underdogs in 18-20 games for the same reason.
Whereas for non Vic clubs, the best ones each year still have to play 10 genuine away games every year and a 50% win rate and a nearperfect home record still caps them at 16-17, vice versa for the worse ones which will still win a good share of their genuine home games and pinch 1-2 interstate to get up to 7-8.

I think it depends, you always get inequities based on the fixture and the fact you only play 6 sides twice, which there isn’t really a way around unless everyone played each other once then went into groups or something. (Which i don’t like)

Lots of swings and roundabouts really, I do think the GF at the MCG is the main thing which causes a disparity between vic and non vic flag winners. A way around it would be just have two non vic sides in a grand final like between 2004-06.

lol no.
Vics get to host it. This is not a hill to die on.
Rest of the country has to mortgage their homes to get to the GF, Vics just catch the train in.
Everything I posted is true.

Have you ever actually been to a Grand Final?

I've been to 25 of the past 28 Grand Finals that were played at the G.

I think I know what what I'm talking about. More than you.

I said IF, not that it should.

You wouldn’t be able to organise it that way logistically anyway. You’d have to nominate before the season began where it would be held.
The 2020 Grand Final in Brisbane was a non-event.

Imagine we had a sucky Grand Final like that every 5 years.

I reckon if you polled all the players from non-Vic clubs, the vast majority of them would prefer to play in an MCG Grand Final. It's just better in every respect. The tradition, bigger crowd, better build-up, more hype...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everything I posted is true.

Have you ever actually been to a Grand Final?

I've been to 25 of the past 28 Grand Finals that were played at the G.

I think I know what what I'm talking about. More than you.
Did you pay $5000 and take time off work to get in, each year?

Or are, you know, advantaged?

Elisabeth Moss Privilege GIF by HULU

Who's ever said that? Or are you going on about 2014?
I laughed at a reply yesterday from Papa G to one of my posts where he made a reference to umpire Stevic favouring the Hawks back in the day. It just reminded me of what a bunch of squealing sooks you are. Crows fans too. Every time either of you have lost a close final, you whinge and cry about the umps like a bunch of babies. South Australians are clearly the worst in this respect. Embarrassing.

Did you pay $5000 and take time off work to get in, each year?

Or are, you know, advantaged?

Elisabeth Moss Privilege GIF by HULU
So your solution is to play the GF in a venue half the size of the MCG, thus denying access to about 30,000 true fans of the competing clubs and make EVERYONE pay $5000 and take time off work to get in.

Great plan, DH.

So your solution is to play the GF in a venue half the size of the MCG, thus denying access to about 30,000 true fans of the competing clubs and make EVERYONE pay $5000 and take time off work to get in.

Great plan, DH.
So your solution (which is the AFL's) is to guarantee the entrenched advantage that your state's supporter base enjoys, as the idea of fairness over privilege actually makes you a victim?

(and although I played some baseball, I never was a good enough hitter to be a DH, are you a LF or a C?)

Great plan, DH.
It is the perfect cut off one's nose to spite one's face example.

It isnt fair that I cant just walk to the GF like I used to when it was thr SANFL GF.

So the solution is to * over ALL club members.

But it Port make a GF, they will have no chance of getting a ticket if it is Metricon's "turn" to host at their 20k stadium.

What a win for club members.

Yep was at 2019.

lol yes the entitled do usually don’t see their benefit.
The 2019 Grand Final was hardly a good representation of what I meant by the MCG being as close to a neutral venue as it gets.

The Giants fans failed to take up their allocation of GF tickets, so the remainder were sold to desperate Tigers members who had missed out. It's the only time that has ever happened. Not surprising really when you consider the Giants have no fans.

That's not a sledge, by the way. I don't mean to be rude. It's just a fact.

If you went to any of the Grand Finals involving Sydney, West Coast or Fremantle from 2012-2018, then you would understand there was plenty of crowd noise and support for the interstate team. It was not the one-sided partisan cauldron like you experienced in 2019.

The 2019 Grand Final was hardly a good representation of what I meant by the MCG being as close to a neutral venue as it gets.

The Giants fans failed to take up their allocation of GF tickets, so the remainder were sold to desperate Tigers members who had missed out. It's the only time that has ever happened. Not surprising really when you consider the Giants have no fans.

That's not a sledge, by the way. I don't mean to be rude. It's just a fact.

If you went to any of the Grand Finals involving Sydney, West Coast or Fremantle from 2012-2018, then you would understand there was plenty of crowd noise and support for the interstate team. It was not the one-sided partisan cauldron like you experienced in 2019.
Once again you are missing the point.

Once again you are missing the point.
No mate. I'm defending the points I made in my original post which you disagreed with and then tried changing the subject with your babble about me catching the train on GF day while you had to pay for an airfare and a B&B. :cryv1:

You want me to engage you on your particular hobby horse? Okay. The AFL is a national comp which is largely based in Melbourne. The majority of clubs are Victorian. The majority of AFL players are Victorian. The majority of paying spectators and TV viewers are Victorian. The game's administration and most of the AFL media is based here in Victoria.

What can I say? These are the facts.

The Grand Final venue is played at the traditional home of football. And it will be so for the next 36 years. I'll give you the tip: this will never change. The Grand Final will always be played at the MCG, no matter how much the WA and SA people sook about it.

If I chose to barrack for the Melbourne Storm, I would not sook about "fairness" or having to catch a flight to Sydney to see my team play in the Grand Final. I would accept that Sydney is the home base of the NRL and that's where the Grand Final will always be played. Pretty simple. I would actually embrace it. I'd much rather see my Storm boys beat Penrith or Parra in front of 85,000 at Stadium Australia than fly to Townsville for a non-event GF vs Penrith in front of 25,000.

Last edited:
No mate. I'm defending the points I made in my original post which you disagreed with and then tried changing the subject with your babble about me catching the train on GF day while you had to pay for an airfare and a B&B. :cryv1:

You want me to engage you on your particular hobby horse? Okay. The AFL is a national comp which is largely based in Melbourne. The majority of clubs are Victorian. The majority of AFL players are Victorian. The majority of paying spectators and TV viewers are Victorian. The game's administration and most of the AFL media is based here in Victoria.

The Grand Final venue is played at the traditional home of football. And it will be so for the next 36 years. I'll give you the tip: this will never change. The Grand Final will always be played at the MCG, no matter how much the WA and SA people sook about it.

If I chose to barrack for the Melbourne Storm, I would not sook about "fairness" or having to catch a flight to Sydney to see my team play in the Grand Final. I would accept that Sydney is the home base of the NRL and that's where the Grand Final will always be played. Pretty simple. I would actually embrace it. I'd much rather see my Storm boys beat Penrith or Parra in front of 85,000 at Stadium Australia than fly to Townsville for a non-event GF vs Penrith in front of 25,000.
My point hasn’t changed since the start. Entitled never see it.

My point hasn’t changed since the start. Entitled never see it.
Whatever mate. This conversation is really just a waste of time.

Just pay your airfare and B&B and quit sooking. Or don't go, if it's such a hardship. Watch it on TV.

Count your blessings you barrack for a club with no fans and that you can actually get hands on Grand Final tickets... unlike the tens of thousands of loyal Victorian members who miss out on a Grand Final tickets every year because their club's GF allocation is less than half (or a third) of their club membership.

How's that for being disadvantaged as a Victorian, you giant sook?
Unlike you, many of us don't get a choice. We're forced to watch our team on the TV on Grand Final day.

Last edited:

Home of football in Victoria

Not home of football

Remove this Banner Ad

Back