Opinion VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, but it’s a bit like work and computers and cars etc, just because the quality might be objectively better, it doesn’t mean that it’s a better product in terms of how much the customer gets out of it.

Agreed, but to be fair, people gloss over the sh*t games that we see now because “it’s a close hard-fought game”.

Quality is not objective, it is always subjective.

Doesn’t matter to you, does it?
You know what does matter to me?

My club, not victoria, not non victoria, not state of origin (which all you non vics seem to think it is - it's not, it's a club competition)

My club being better than the competition, in particular the other 3 enemies.

I'd said for years if we have to have a false national competition, I'd rather state conferences, then a playoff of the champions, state leagues like it was before the vfl was frankenstiened and expanded.

If we had state leagues, then all you non vics would be complaining that all your best players and coaches would go to the vfl, like you all used to.

I'm not really a fan of this quasi competition, I'd rather us compete on more merit, I know my club has advantages that non vic clubs don't have, but I accept that and so I follow my club.

You have your club playing in the SANFL, no disadvantages there, yet here you are complaining about vic bias when you could snub it and still follow your club. I don't have that choice.

So are you gonna accept the landscape, still follow and wallow, or vote with your feet and remote?

You know what does matter to me?

My club, not victoria, not non victoria, not state of origin (which all you non vics seem to think it is - it's not, it's a club competition)

My club being better than the competition, in particular the other 3 enemies.

I'd said for years if we have to have a false national competition, I'd rather state conferences, then a playoff of the champions, state leagues like it was before the vfl was frankenstiened and expanded.

If we had state leagues, then all you non vics would be complaining that all your best players and coaches would go to the vfl, like you all used to.

I'm not really a fan of this quasi competition, I'd rather us compete on more merit, I know my club has advantages that non vic clubs don't have, but I accept that and so I follow my club.

You have your club playing in the SANFL, no disadvantages there, yet here you are complaining about vic bias when you could snub it and still follow your club. I don't have that choice.

So are you gonna accept the landscape, still follow and wallow, or vote with your feet and remote?

I think I’ve explained that I accept that the competition is skewed because it follows where the money is - Victoria - not #VICBIAS for the sake of it. Gather Round is one example that swims against the tide.
It’s good that you accept that and some of its advantages, some blanket deny it exists in any form. (Hence this thread)

Like you, I have far more care about the state of my club, and in my case its current malaise directly linked to its head coach and Board.
Actually, my team is heading out of the SANFL (like we’d originally planned 34 years ago) in order to try to remove one of those handbrakes - one of the few things in our control and I’m glad we’re doing it.
However, I don’t see why I have to abandon my club because the competition is skewed against it. I’ll retain my concern that the competition is flawed for the sake of money.

I think I’ve explained that I accept that the competition is skewed because it follows where the money is - Victoria - not #VICBIAS for the sake of it. Gather Round is one example that swims against the tide.
It’s good that you accept that and some of its advantages, some blanket deny it exists in any form. (Hence this thread)

There's obviously advantages and disadvantages all throughout the league. The thing with the vicbias complaints is that it suggests that the AFL has designed a system and put things in place to advantage Vic clubs. When you actually look at the complaints like extra travel from WA, less players hailing from the northern states, what's actually being asked for is a handicap system to somehow balance out all of the advantages and disadvantages. Move from a home and away system for WA teams to a home, home, away system or however you'd try to do it. MCG grand final is the only legitimate thing that is skewed to Vic by AFL rules.

The reality though is that trying to balance things with handicaps is just as likely to put things out of balance. Eg. I think they've over corrected with the northern academies and we'll see results skewed significantly in that direction,as the academies are just beginning to kick in, with the first draftees from them now mature and the numbers likely to grow.

I think I’ve explained that I accept that the competition is skewed because it follows where the money is - Victoria - not #VICBIAS for the sake of it
Fair enough, but let's not pretend that there aren't non vics that absolutely think it's some sort of ill intended conspiracy, hence the replies in this thread
However, I don’t see why I have to abandon my club because the competition is skewed against it. I’ll retain my concern that the competition is flawed for the sake of money.
You don't have to abandon your club, if my club were not part of the afl and only played in the vfl, then I'd be following my club in the vfl. Follow your club mate.

For most sa and wa fans they still have their original team, complain about the afl and hardly give their original clubs any attention. Hence this thread.

Fair enough, but let's not pretend that there aren't non vics that absolutely think it's some sort of ill intended conspiracy, hence the replies in this thread

You don't have to abandon your club, if my club were not part of the afl and only played in the vfl, then I'd be following my club in the vfl. Follow your club mate.

For most sa and wa fans they still have their original team, complain about the afl and hardly give their original clubs any attention. Hence this thread.

I have been a West Perth Member for over 36 years and I was an Eagles member for 27. I dropped my Eagles membership in 2019 as we were not attending and I would rather my money go to clubs who need it like my beloved West Perth who I am now a corporate member of. Not many like me around however and most have over their money to AFL clubs actually thinking their club needs them. It’s a huge business at AFL level and they just want your money and nothing more really than that.

Yep pretty much, if we did have more like you we wouldn't this faux quasi 'national' competition.

A call to arms for non vic fans, dump your afl club and follow your original club. Vote with your feet and remotes.

Was different for us, the VFL expansion meant our WAFL comp was going from the biggest gig in town to now secondary. You are right most just dropped their WAFL club pretty much overnight but let’s be honest it would have happened the same anywhere.

Was different for us, the VFL expansion meant our WAFL comp was going from the biggest gig in town to now secondary. You are right most just dropped their WAFL club pretty much overnight but let’s be honest it would have happened the same anywhere.
If the fans snubbed the afl then it wouldn't be, instead every dog and it's leash jumped on board the wc train.

Why? And why do the bulk of wc and freo fans still follow while lamenting?

If the fans snubbed the afl then it wouldn't be, instead every dog and it's leash jumped on board the wc train.

Why? And why do the bulk of wc and freo fans still follow while lamenting?

You have asked them that? Done answer some don’t.
But once you are in something you are entitled to an opinion on what you’re in.
Doesn’t matter whether you have been there for ever or just joined recently if you think things are not what they should be then I have no issue with hearing that opinion.

You clearly have and that’s your right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have asked them that? Done answer some don’t.
But once you are in something you are entitled to an opinion on what you’re in.
Doesn’t matter whether you have been there for ever or just joined recently if you think things are not what they should be then I have no issue with hearing that opinion.

You clearly have and that’s your right.
Either or, there's still lament, like there was before wc and the bears joined in 87 about the best players and coaches going to the vfl.

For those who have a lament that have a club they could follow in their state league, why not just follow that club in that league and say a big phuq you to the afl, if the afl is so bad?

Either or, there's still lament, like there was before wc and the bears joined in 87 about the best players and coaches going to the vfl.

For those who have a lament that have a club they could follow in their state league, why not just follow that club in that league and say a big phuq you to the afl, if the afl is so bad?

Because they can do as they please and they don’t have to do what you think they should.

I look forward to BT and Richo and Ch7 examining the free kick counts for other teams, after deciding to analyse Adelaide Oval stats based off one game where Port Adelaide has a good run with the umpires. (ignoring the last year which has been the opposite)

I look forward to BT and Richo and Ch7 examining the free kick counts for other teams, after deciding to analyse Adelaide Oval stats based off one game where Port Adelaide has a good run with the umpires. (ignoring the last year which has been the opposite)
Home town umpiring is very real, but I do take your point that Adelaide seemingly get it a lot better than Port.
I put it down to Adelaide fans being clueless and constantly booing, at least Port supporters know their football despite being feral :)

Home town umpiring is very real, but I do take your point that Adelaide seemingly get it a lot better than Port.
I put it down to Adelaide fans being clueless and constantly booing, at least Port supporters know their football despite being feral :)
We ferals know we got a good run tonight. Think our general sh*tness made the game closer than it should have been and made the umpiring disparity more of an issue than it should have been

Yes so the AFL have brilliantly and perfectly calibrated the Northern club recruiting advantages so that the Northern clubs are good enough to make top 4, but not win...

As I said if the GF in theory was hosted by the side which earnt it, this is how it would have gone from 1991 till now:

1991 - still at Waverley
1992 - Subiaco
1994 - Subiaco
1996 - SCG
1997 - MCG
1998 - MCG
2001 - MCG
2002 - Gabba
2003 - Gabba
2004 - Footy Park
2005 - Subiaco
2006 - Stadium Australia
2007 - MCG
2012 - MCG
2013 - MCG
2014 - SCG
2015 - Subiaco
2016 - SCG
2017 - Adelaide Oval
2018 - Optus Stadium
2019 - MCG
2022 - MCG
2023 - MCG

Change 5 off the last 11 since 2012 away from the MCG and you’d probably have at least another 3 non vic sides winning in that period.

If it was really weakening the non vic sides they wouldn’t be making the top 2, top 4 or top 8 at basically an identical ratio to non vic sides.

The issue seems to be GF day itself.

I don't know why Vics are so upset that they are advantaged because they are the biggest market. It's just economics and business, good luck to you. Of course it's better financially for Vic sides to win, it's where the biggest market and $$ are.

Picking a single GWS / Brisbane game one off whilst ignoring the primary Anzac day clash doesn't prove any counter point you are trying to make, especially with a "traditional haha" Victorian Anzac Eve match much more heavily promoted.

Listing items like a salary cap and draft that are a minimum requirement for a single country National competition to survive as a competition doesn't prove any counter point you are trying to make.

As for marquee games, some of the Premier matchups of the season are the Showdowns and Derbies. How many have you seen put on a national audience stand alone? Why can't we lock that one away as Friday night tradition each year, so SA teams can sell some national sponsorship on national TV and sell to the draft pool the chance to play in such a major AFL event. Or is that reserved for Anzac Day, Anzac Day Eve, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Kings Birthday, Dreamtime at the G? Instead it's better $$$ wise to give Carlton 10 prime time games as soon as it looks like they might be ok.

Be happy that the $$$ means the cards fall in your favour. I wish they did for us. Gather Round is in SA because we took the initiative and made sure it worked financially for the AFL to give them an extra round in a low risk way. Now that we know it works, I'm guessing it will make its way to Melbourne soon enough.

I just don’t think much of it matters, just be a better club yourselves and demand better from them.

Every fan base has whiners who think they are hard done by as an excuse for being s**t, I tend to ignore them.

Looking at all vic sides as a conglomerate is stupid as well. I don’t give a s**t about other vic sides being any good, I’d be happy if it was us at the top battling 7 non vic sides, I couldn’t care less. I tend to want non Vic sides to beat Vic sides most of the time on GF day as well.

If you look at the poorest sides this century it’s mainly been vic sides who have had extended runs at the bottom, aside from Gold Coast. Do we just put that down to s**t management, but claim flags won by vic sides are because of unfair advantages? If it was the case wouldn’t all benefit and non vic sides usually be towards the bottom more so?

When a grassroots Vic club struggles the media and AFL sound the alarms.
Grassroots clubs elsewhere? Crickets

Umm didn’t they help port out? They pretty much fund the expansion sides and Brisbane and Sydney heavily. I remember the 90s when those sides were heavily propped up before they became somewhat sustainable.

Pretty sure there were alarms raised about port prior to the move to Adelaide Oval and the glorious reign of Ken and Koch. That was 2011 after the floggings of 135+ points by pies and hawks.

WC, Freo and Adelaide have never been on their knees financially nor have they ever been that terrible for that long. Freo mediocre for periods, but they have had a more successful time than North, Carlton, Essendon and St Kilda in the last 10-15 years.

There were concerns about Freo early 2000s I recall as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back