Opinion VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

First, it is Melbourne's choice to play in the NT, and second, it is neutral as the non-Victorian team also has to travel.
First, the AFL doesnt fixture all Melbourne home games at the MCG.

Second, exactly my point. What should be an away disadvantage game becomes a neutral game.

If you accept that logic, you should be able to grasp the next progression in that it creates an inbalance in the H&A equilibrium.

A non-vic team like Fremantle have 10 true home advantage games, 2 neutral WA showdown games, 2 neutral games against travelling Mebourne teams, and 8 true away disadvantage games.

The money historically however has been spent on recruiting players. Recruiting extra assistants, extra medics etc has no history at all it will provide better on field results.
It did.
When they were reviewing finishing position and premiers in the early 2010s, the last team to win that wasn't in top 8 of footy department spend was North in the 1990s.

There was a clear correlation between footy department spending and finishing position.

So they introduced a new equalisation measure, just an extension of the player salary cap.

I actually think this is a good idea, but we have to wait until Tas comes in.

Keep the 'expansion' teams but cut the equalization costs on WA teams.

Melbourne pays for it's teams and the broadcast right pay for GWS, Suns and Tas.

We would go back to 12 teams in a super-league within about 3 years. Love it.
The football department cap is a great idea.

We want all fans to have hope that if they get their s**t together, that in a few years they could be playing finals.

Clubs that have runs at the bottom - Carlton, Melbourne, Richmond, Gold Coast - are clubs that had poor administrations that butchered their on-field chances.

Get the off field in order and can be back in finals.

Nobody wants a premier league style comp, where the top teams are the biggest spenders all the time.

The football department cap is a great idea.

We want all fans to have hope that if they get their s**t together, that in a few years they could be playing finals.

Clubs that have runs at the bottom - Carlton, Melbourne, Richmond, Gold Coast - are clubs that had poor administrations that butchered their on-field chances.

Get the off field in order and can be back in finals.

Nobody wants a premier league style comp, where the top teams are the biggest spenders all the time.

Unfortunately player and manager greed will ensure the salary cap has a limited life. You only have to look at where most other sports are going. Money is all that matters. Anyone who actually thinks the status quo of its fair for all, salary caps, soft caps etc will survive the future is in a fantasy land. Money will eventually destroy clubs and take the league on a far different path.
Hopefully it can hang in their until I am gone.

Unfortunately player and manager greed will ensure the salary cap has a limited life. You only have to look at where most other sports are going. Money is all that matters. Anyone who actually thinks the status quo of its fair for all, salary caps, soft caps etc will survive the future is in a fantasy land. Money will eventually destroy clubs and take the league on a far different path.
It was the players assocation who were big on pushing the introduction of the footy department cap.

Back in 2012-13, you had clubs like Collingwood, Hawthorn, Sydney and WC spending $20m+ per year on footy dept, whilst North and Lions were around 15-16mil.

You cant have a gap of $5m between clubs and think the players will get similar level.of development, support, coaching and chance at success.

So the AFL introduced the footy department spending cap.

Salary cap will survive. The draft is more likely to come under threat.

Yeah I didn't mention Rampe, Mumford, Sinclair, Adams,Richards etc either.

I could have mentioned your Father son selection Mitchell as a concession rather than a loss. He left for more opportunity.

Darcy Cameron? - you didn't want him - traded him for a 3 pick downgrade at the back end of the draft. He played 2 games and left when 24, but was in your top 20 ... Mama Mia

Hannebery you salary dumped at the end of a good career.

You're really getting desperate with your examples in order to portray Sydney as an unfortunate victim of geographical recruiting disadvantages... The examples just aren't there.
First, Rampe was recruited from the local Sydney AFL. Mumford and Richards were recruited before the Swans Academy even started, and Adams was taken because his previous club didn't want him anymore. You are right about Cameron, he was surplus, just like Adams. So you have basically named two players (and etc.) that came to the Swans against those that were "poached" as you put it.

Second, you have not addressed the lack of an elite pathway in Sydney which was the basis for the establishment of the academies in the first place. You said it was theoretical only and you could find no evidence of it. So tell oh wise one, what is the elite pathway for young players in Sydney? Because I can't find any evidence of it. If it wasn't for the academies, Heeney and Gulden would have been playing soccer, Mills would have been playing rugby union, and if previous experience is anything to go by, Blakey would not have reached the required level to be recruited by any club (e.g. Dylan and Tyler Roos).

Second, you have not addressed the lack of an elite pathway in Sydney which was the basis for the establishment of the academies in the first place. You said it was theoretical only and you could find no evidence of it. So tell oh wise one, what is the elite pathway for young players in Sydney? Because I can't find any evidence of it. If it wasn't for the academies, Heeney and Gulden would have been playing soccer, Mills would have been playing rugby union, and if previous experience is anything to go by, Blakey would not have reached the required level to be recruited by any club (e.g. Dylan and Tyler Roos).

I have addressed the lack of an elite pathway. The amount of disadvantage that is for northern teamd is totally about how much of a disadvantage they're at in terms of poaching and retaining. As I said, i don't see much to suggest that they actually are at much of a disadvantage. Brisbane and Sydney have done fine in that regard. Brsbane above average in reality.

I'm not disputing that the academies are an excellent way of growing the game in the Northern States. I think they're a great concept. I'm just suggesting that they advantage they give for the AFL team is greater than the theoretical disadvantage that they're at in terms of recruiting. In amongst the go home stuff it's ignored that guys like Daniher, Hogan, and Grundy chose to leave their state or not go back to their state because they wanted out of the southern media and social media footy bubble. That's a recruiting market like the academy market that is just going to grow and grow.

Last edited:
The Northern academies do not provide any advantage. They are to overcome the lack of any elite pathways that do exist in the developed states, and therefore, help the norther teams retain players.
You have articulated that they do provide an advantage.

As with anything, nobody disagrees that the game itself will be better if it takes off in NSW and QLD and we start seeing those states producing 10 draftees per year as a regular occurrence.

What people have an issue with is the actual application, and the ability to get a star junior on the "cheap".
You have evidently never heard of the "go home to mummy" syndrome.
I think the interesting piece is the link to VICBias?

The two WA clubs individually benefit from "mummys boys" go back to WA more than the average Vic club.

When was the last father-son recruited by the Giants or Suns?
How could they be expected to have a father-son, when the clubs themselves aint even 15 years old yet.

How many Vic clubs have received start-up concessions and been gifted 9 of the top 15 draft picks in a season?

Absolute nonsense to reference a rule that is about club culture, legacy and connection to its history of established teams with a team still enjoying and benefitting from start-up concessions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm all ears!

Take the Anzac weekend as an example. It should be derby weekend across the nation.
Melb v Richmond have declared themselves the Anzac rival as have Collingwood Essendon.
Straight after the MCG blockbuster on Anzac Day head to Adelaide for the showdown that evening.
Then you have GWS v Sydney at the SGG, then the Western Derby all over this split round.
Geelong v Carlton and Hawks/North, Saints and Bulldogs can be Stan alone games at Marvel.

4 games FTA nationally on the weekend and all standalone.

In regards to all rounds we’ll Leight Matthews is correct that their will always be smaller games as small clubs play other small clubs, but the AFL need to use their big clubs to pump up their small clubs and put them on nationally.
The big clubs should not need another big club to get a crowd, their fans should be able to do this on their own and get big crowds and take the smaller club for a ride.

The AFL and the TV networks don’t however believe that the Pies or Bombers can get a huge crowd without another big club and hence only fixture against the other big clubs in the good timeslots and on FTA.

They won’t change it of course but to say their is no answer is simply not right.

Did you get what the "problem" was. Collingwood and Essendon can fill a massive stadium, Brisbane and GWS can't.

I don’t care about that, I want to watch the best teams play each other and it is those games that should be FTA and national broadcast.
Only a very small minority look at their fixture and go gee let’s not go out this Friday because Collingwood are on tv. No one gives a crap if Collingwood are on tv except guess who, Collingwood fans.
The neutral fan wants to watch the best games, nothing more.

I don’t care about that, I want to watch the best teams play each other and it is those games that should be FTA and national broadcast.
Only a very small minority look at their fixture and go gee let’s not go out this Friday because Collingwood are on tv. No one gives a crap if Collingwood are on tv except guess who, Collingwood fans.
The neutral fan wants to watch the best games, nothing more.
Fair enough, but that has absolutely nothing to do with what Matthews was talking about, and thus nothing to do with what he said there was no solution for.

I already know the answer, I am saying they just don’t want to look at it. Having your head in the sand is vastly different to saying there is no answer.
So what is the solution you're talking about, I'm all ears? How do you make bris & gws fill stadiums so they can take centre stage at the mcg on Anzac day?

So what is the solution you're talking about, I'm all ears? How do you make bris & gws fill stadiums so they can take centre stage at the mcg on Anzac day?

That is not what Leigh was saying, he was saying we went from a full house at the G to a small ground and it didn’t look good.
The answer was they head yo Adelaide fir the showdown after a blockbuster at the G or Perth fir a western derby or Sydney for a derby. They just need to think about it a bit better.

Take the Anzac weekend as an example. It should be derby weekend across the nation.
Melb v Richmond have declared themselves the Anzac rival as have Collingwood Essendon.
Straight after the MCG blockbuster on Anzac Day head to Adelaide for the showdown that evening.
Then you have GWS v Sydney at the SGG, then the Western Derby all over this split round.
Geelong v Carlton and Hawks/North, Saints and Bulldogs can be Stan alone games at Marvel.
This is awesome, Derby and Showdown in one round! along with AD and ADE! Me loves this
The big clubs should not need another big club to get a crowd, their fans should be able to do this on their own and get big crowds and take the smaller club for a ride.
They don't
The AFL and the TV networks don’t however believe that the Pies or Bombers can get a huge crowd without another big club and hence only fixture against the other big clubs in the good timeslots and on FTA.
Yes they do, they also know they're getting a bigger crowd with 2 big clubs instead of 1

Would've thought it was obvious why HQ and TV prefer big club v big club instead of big club v not big club.

Fair enough, but that has absolutely nothing to do with what Matthews was talking about, and thus nothing to do with what he said there was no solution for.

The solution is as per what I have written, fixture better around the big blockbusters at the g.
If their is two games on Anzac Day then make the second one the Showdown,Western Derby, Sydney derby etc. this will retain the audience. And make both games on that day FTA national broadcast.
Just need a bit more thought to what games they play after an MCG blockbuster. Was never about removing the blockbuster, just add yo it and you have a double header blockbuster on Anzac Day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back