VFL VFL Round 8 v Werribee - Saturday May 18 11:05 @ Victoria Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Experienced VFL players Ben Crocker and Ned Long will return after both sitting out the last fortnight for this weekend’s Round Eight VFL clash against Werribee.

The pair are part of seven inclusions from last week’s game against the Northern Bullants, with exciting AFL-listed players Tew Jiath and Ed Allan also coming back into the side.

Liam Purcell also comes back into the fold for his fifth game of 2024, while Ben Silvagni and Harry Mahoney will play their first games of the season.

Long’s inclusion will be crucial for the Pies’ midfield, with the 21-year-old averaging 24 disposals and nine tackles in his five games for the Club.

Crocker will also add experience to the forward line, having kicked six goals this season from a 139-goal VFL career.

Jiath returns after a week off with an ankle injury that he sustained in the team’s Round Six trip to Southport, while Allan was the AFL side’s carryover emergency last week.

Silvagni, son of Carlton legend Stephen, will pull on the black and white for the first time in 2024 after playing three games last year.

A solid body that can play multiple positions on the ground, the 194cm tall will play a key role in the ruck too after Aiden Begg went down last week with a knee injury.

Mahoney, a 21-year-old who hails from Mansfield in the state’s alpine region, will make his VFL debut after an impressive season so far at local level – with his best effort a six-goal haul last month.

The game is the Club’s second at Victoria Park for the season as they take on a sixth-placed Werribee.

Charlie Dean, coming off the back of a scintillating 14-mark, 27-disposal game last week will again lead in defence, while Wil Parker will look to continue his strong start to life at Collingwood.

The team will wear the Club’s Indigenous guernsey, designed by Collingwood legend Leon Davis’ father Uncle Trevor.

The game is the first of a double-header at the Pies’ traditional home, with the VFLW side taking on the Western Bulldogs later on in the day.

6569ed1c898eb2605feaf7da60b52639.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also who is Harry Mahony— not on our official vfl list - must be someone they added recently
Must be the 23rd man

This is in the article you've included in the OP:
Mahoney, a 21-year-old who hails from Mansfield in the state’s alpine region, will make his VFL debut after an impressive season so far at local level – with his best effort a six-goal haul last month.
1715919456916.png

Josh Fraser hails from Mansfield, so presumably that's had a lot to do with us getting him down to play.

1715919772384.png
1715919903627.png

Experienced VFL players Ben Crocker and Ned Long will return after both sitting out the last fortnight for this weekend’s Round Eight VFL clash against Werribee.

The pair are part of seven inclusions from last week’s game against the Northern Bullants, with exciting AFL-listed players Tew Jiath and Ed Allan also coming back into the side.

Liam Purcell also comes back into the fold for his fifth game of 2024, while Ben Silvagni and Harry Mahoney will play their first games of the season.

Long’s inclusion will be crucial for the Pies’ midfield, with the 21-year-old averaging 24 disposals and nine tackles in his five games for the Club.

Crocker will also add experience to the forward line, having kicked six goals this season from a 139-goal VFL career.

Jiath returns after a week off with an ankle injury that he sustained in the team’s Round Six trip to Southport, while Allan was the AFL side’s carryover emergency last week.

Silvagni, son of Carlton legend Stephen, will pull on the black and white for the first time in 2024 after playing three games last year.

A solid body that can play multiple positions on the ground, the 194cm tall will play a key role in the ruck too after Aiden Begg went down last week with a knee injury.

The game is the Club’s second at Victoria Park for the season as they take on a sixth-placed Werribee.

Charlie Dean, coming off the back of a scintillating 14-mark, 27-disposal game last week will again lead in defence, while Wil Parker will look to continue his strong start to life at Collingwood.

The team will wear the Club’s Indigenous guernsey, designed by Collingwood legend Leon Davis’ father Uncle Trevor.

The game is the first of a double-header at the Pies’ traditional home, with the VFLW side taking on the Western Bulldogs later on in the day.

6569ed1c898eb2605feaf7da60b52639.jpg

Good to see a few of the kids back. Some handy inclusions

View attachment 1991331

Josh Fraser hails from Mansfield, so presumably that's had a lot to do with us getting him down to play.

View attachment 1991339
View attachment 1991341
Looks like our man in the MSD, or maybe not

View attachment 1991331

View attachment 1991339
View attachment 1991341

Totally glossed by that! a goal kicker that’s nice.

Maybe HH won't play, who knows.
One of the emergency players won't be selected to play in the VFL if scheduling does not allow it. Unfortunately that's the case this weekend with the VFL side playing before us. Since it was Allan last week, they wouldn't want him to miss 2 games in a row. So Freddy it is.

One of the emergency players won't be selected to play in the VFL if scheduling does not allow it. Unfortunately that's the case this weekend with the VFL side playing before us. Since it was Allan last week, they wouldn't want him to miss 2 games in a row. So Freddy it is.
Yeah, that makes sense. I thought it might be a week or two early for freddy
Edit: I have noticed freddy isn't named in the VFL, they might be giving him a week off

Yeah, that makes sense. I thought it might be a week or two early for freddy
I think it's definitely way too early for Freddy & it's a pity he (most likely) misses out on playing at all this weekend.

Perhaps they think the other AFL listed players need to be playing more than him..? And tbh, we don't have that many options left anyway.

I think it's definitely way too early for Freddy & it's a pity he (most likely) misses out on playing at all this weekend.

Perhaps they think the other AFL listed players need to be playing more than him..? And tbh, we don't have that many options left anyway.
I just saw that he's not playing vfl so they might be resting him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just saw that he's not playing vfl so they might be resting him
No, lol. I just explained it manic. Out of the 3 emergencies named, one is a carryover & they don't play if the vfl game is before the AFL, just in case there is a late change...and Freddy is the carryover emergency this week. So unfortunately he won't play at all, unless God forbid, there is an illness or injury to someone named in our AFL 23 squad.

No, lol. I just explained it manic. Out of the 3 emergencies named, one is a carryover & they don't play if the vfl game is before the AFL, just in case there is a late change...and Freddy is the carryover emergency this week. So unfortunately he won't play at all, unless God forbid, there is an illness or injury to someone named in our AFL 23 squad.
All good, sometimes I'm a bit thick

Expecting a decent loss

But hoping to see some good individual performances from the unheralded… that give us faith that they can step up and play a good role at senior level like Sullivan and Richards have shown recently

It's time for Pat Farrant to show us what he's really got, atm he's running out of puff after half time but looks a likely lad who can kick a goal and even ruck. Could he be our MSD smokey?, or could it be this new Mahony dude?, or could I just be way off, I'm thinking the latter

It's time for Pat Farrant to show us what he's really got, atm he's running out of puff after half time but looks a likely lad who can kick a goal and even ruck. Could he be our MSD smokey?, or could it be this new Mahony dude?, or could I just be way off, I'm thinking the latter
Pretty sure the MSD net gets cast wider than our own VFL list.

Yeah that's true but I never take anything for granted when it comes to who we pick, chances are it will be one that no one expects. I was just being a bit facetious , still coming down from last nights Glorious result
There’s no rush to be coming down from last night ( on top of Thursday)… especially if we win today 😁

Remove this Banner Ad

Back