VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Conway's work-rate pushing forward has been super encouraging.

Cant risk him against gawn purely on inexperience but he definitely has to play vs port the week after on this form.

Hardie has also been very good as is knevitt and both probably deserve a game soon when we rest players.

He doesn't get noticed but he’d be playing seniors at lots of clubs

He would be and i wouldnt be surprised if one tries to poach him but i hope he hangs around..i think once he can find a way in the seniors he will stay there.

Humphries looks an AFL player. I think his skill set will transfer across. Should get a game very soon

Hes not a bad one. Theres a few that deserve games like hardie and knevitt and mannagh and neale (neale is more when hawk or jez rest) but i think humphries would be worth a game or two at hbf soon.

Jeez, Conway is just too good for this level

Hes too good for this level but he doesnt have the endurance for bigger afl grounds full time yet. But he should still play afl every 2nd or 3rd week when he can.

I think it's the opposite to nothing standing out. He's a good mark and beautiful kick. But then he fumbles inexplicably pretty often. Don't think he'll make it but I can see why we recruited him cause if he can get rid of his worst 5% of moments he'd be a good player.
Jeka is very tall and has some skills, and has played forward and back for Hawthorn. I am hoping our coaches can build his confidence as he is still only 22, young for some big men.
He could at the least develop into backup for our tall defenders.

Hes too good for this level but he doesnt have the endurance for bigger afl grounds full time yet. But he should still play afl every 2nd or 3rd week when he can.
With an assist from blitz he could play at any ground.

If he was asked to play solo ruck and have 85% time in ruck then I would agree. Fortunately that is not required from him at this stage.

He would be and i wouldnt be surprised if one tries to poach him but i hope he hangs around..i think once he can find a way in the seniors he will stay there.

Looks an astute pickup so far, I just don't think he's AFL ready yet.
I'd be happy to see him play the year in the VFL and learn our systems, have another pre-season, and go from there.

With an assist from blitz he could play at any ground.

If he was asked to play solo ruck and have 85% time in ruck then I would agree. Fortunately that is not required from him at this stage.

Unfortunately its not that simple because the speed of the game at afl level and the capped interchange affects your ability to use a tall with low end endurance.

But once he gets the endurance he will be a gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching the replay very happy with the boys.

Mullin is so much harder to see without his sexy hair damnit

Conway is going to be something special.. Give him the back to back games against Port and Suns and if he plays well maybe the next 2 as well.
Neale was good
Humphires i think i have a mancrush
Knevitt continues to be awesome
Hardie needs a AFL game you can't keep telling him to bang the door down and ignore him when he does
Rohan is ready if we need him
Clohesy just has a meaness about him at the contest that i love
COS showing he will be a 200+ gamer once his body fills out and gets some games

Plenty more to like as well

After watching the replay very happy with the boys.

Mullin is so much harder to see without his sexy hair damnit

Conway is going to be something special.. Give him the back to back games against Port and Suns and if he plays well maybe the next 2 as well.
Neale was good
Humphires i think i have a mancrush
Knevitt continues to be awesome
Hardie needs a AFL game you can't keep telling him to bang the door down and ignore him when he does
Rohan is ready if we need him
Clohesy just has a meaness about him at the contest that i love
COS showing he will be a 200+ gamer once his body fills out and gets some games

Plenty more to like as well

Good summary- poor opposition but lots to be excited about.

Some questions-
-has Clohesy got enough speed and tank to play a run with role in AFL? (Given opposition A Grade mids are getting big numbers might be an option). Would Mullen be a better option, given his speed?
-has Hardie got enough speed at contests to step up a level?

Last edited:
Good summary- poor opposition but lots to be excited about.

Some questions-
-has Clohesy got enough speed and tank to play a run with role in AFL? (Given opposition A Grade mids are getting big numbers might be an option). Would Mullen be a better option, given his speed?
-has Hardie got enough speed at contests to step up a level?
Clohesy - not sure about elite speed but he aint slow - nore he aint big enough yet.. MOC is big enough.
That said.. I want Clohesy to get games. I think hes not tall enough to replace Bews but I could see him trying - but hes also good around the ball and kiks goals going forward.

Hardie just needs to play and with PFD out for a month at least - his time has come.

GO Catters

Clohesy - not sure about elite speed but he aint slow - nore he aint big enough yet.. MOC is big enough.
That said.. I want Clohesy to get games. I think hes not tall enough to replace Bews but I could see him trying - but hes also good around the ball and kiks goals going forward.

Hardie just needs to play and with PFD out for a month at least - his time has come.

GO Catters

I can’t see how Hardie gets a block of games without an injury crisis or severe dip in form.
Might get a game here and there when players are managed, but that’s it.
Stewart in for Paddy, and move Cuthrie into the guts, as well as Atkins getting more time in the midfield. That’s the obvious change for next week.

I can’t see how Hardie gets a block of games without an injury crisis or severe dip in form.
Might get a game here and there when players are managed, but that’s it.
Stewart in for Paddy, and move Cuthrie into the guts, as well as Atkins getting more time in the midfield. That’s the obvious change for next week.
sure

but Atkins, Bruhn etc will need to get managed.

Hardie gets a shot.

GO Catters

Hardie deserves a shot. Reward his VFL form. I want Humphries to get a game soon as well
Humphries I can see too but is further back IMO - but what he's got is rare.

Cant see it happening this year but Stengle would be wise to remember Humphries if puts talks on hold.

Cats wont do massive overs IMO

GO Cattters

How often in Carltons history have the coped a 100 point pantsing at the home dung hill?

Interestin to see what gusy could do with little no worthwhile opposition. Hardie looks in good knick , seems to marking it well. Neale and Conways put up their hands. Rohan showed only what we know he can do.

A couple of no names did OK but id like to see them play a top side and repeat it.

How often in Carltons history have the coped a 100 point pantsing at the home dung hill?

Interestin to see what gusy could do with little no worthwhile opposition. Hardie looks in good knick , seems to marking it well. Neale and Conways put up their hands. Rohan showed only what we know he can do.

A couple of no names did OK but id like to see them play a top side and repeat it.
It didn't hurt that I think this was the strongest VFL side we have fielded in years.

Rohan, Bews, Conway, Hardie, Knevitt, Humphries, Neale, Mannagh, Clark, Mullin - that's a lot of players with mature bodies who are really just too good for VFL, even if they might not yet bet ready for the big big league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back