Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Its unfortunate VH completely lost their s**t in the mid 90s and kept chopping and changing singers. Most bands of the era had a steady decline but there's still some good material and live shows, but those guys just completely disintegrated. A shame the last 20 years of Eddie Van Halen's life yielded very little in terms of musical achievement.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Admittedly I've never gotten too deep into VH, listened to the first album, it's ok. Honestly there's too much other music available these days to bother with stuff I'm not that into.
I agree with you there. I'm exactly the same. There's so much to check out that I'm only interested in stuff that I really like. If it's just okay (to me) then I don't want to know.

As for VH, my personal favourite albums from that initial 6 album run with Diamond Dave are the middle 2 albums: Fair Warning and Women And Children First.

Its unfortunate VH completely lost their s**t in the mid 90s and kept chopping and changing singers.
I thought there was a sharp decline as soon as Roth left and Eddie let Sammy Hagar pay guitar while he arsed around on the keyboards.

I thought there was a sharp decline as soon as Roth left and Eddie let Sammy Hagar pay guitar while he arsed around on the keyboards.
I think there's some good stuff still but your opinion is valid.

If only Barnsey didn't knock em back.

Eddie was already heading that way on 1984.

It took me a while to warm to the Hager stuff and now I probably prefer to listen to that over the Roth stuff.

Yeah, how can anyone listen to 'Jump' and not realise Eddie was getting in to keyboards regardless of who was singing.

Even this is a distorted keyboard. That guitar is mostly for show.

Anyway, another area Eddie destroys other guitarists of his style is his stage presence. He can show and move like a front man.

Yes he was adding keyboards to their sound in the studio but I'd still rather have someone else behind the keys on-stage instead.

Having someone other than EVH playing guitar on-stage is just a little wrong.

To me anyway.

Yes he was adding keyboards to their sound in the studio but I'd still rather have someone else behind the keys on-stage instead.

Having someone other than EVH playing guitar on-stage is just a little wrong.

To me anyway.

As I've said I'm not a Van Halen fan but how many are really paying money to see EVH playing keys on stage? That would be your answer I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is more unpopular to Pumpkins fans, but their news stuff is terrible, especially Billy's directionless and bizarre lyrics, the vocals just seem so randomly created and haphazard, wow!!
Oceania was actually pretty good. But my gosh since then it's bad.

1,000 Miles by Vanessa Carlton is an amazing song sung by a terrible singer

Should have been handballed to someone that was somewhat competent

Not sure how i feel about that. I think it works for that era, early 2000's, indie, post-punk, NY rock, dance were all back in a huge way, and lots of those bands don't have technically great singers, but those singers have a unique persona and it works in those genres. I think in that era a lot of pop artists were fusing indie influences and other stuff amongst it, which i loved, personally. I do see your point. But i like rough sketches that become well defined pop tunes, R&B/Soul also made a bit of a comeback and was well produced, but the core of those songs were rough live versions i guess. In the 2000s it was pretty common, and i dug it i guess.

This is more unpopular to Pumpkins fans, but their news stuff is terrible, especially Billy's directionless and bizarre lyrics, the vocals just seem so randomly created and haphazard, wow!!
Oceania was actually pretty good. But my gosh since then it's bad.

All downhill after Oceania.

I don't think I've heard anyone say the latest stuff is any good, I got through 4 songs on the latest album and called it quits and that was a double album I think lol.

Corgan comes across as a fairly unlikeable person and he loves to rant at the live shows I hear.

Lay Down Your Guns by Jimmy Barnes is a metal song, and I'm currently figuring out a metal version on guitar to confirm my opinion.

Have a listen to the intro and imagine it with distorted guitar and palm mutes

When you figure it out, let me know

Mine is that Queen, Led Zeppelin and the Eagles are s**t. I just hate it. I like the Who, I like the more thoughtful 70s white mainstream hard/prog rock influenced bands,

Mine is that Queen, Led Zeppelin and the Eagles are s**t. I just hate it. I like the Who, I like the more thoughtful 70s white mainstream hard/prog rock influenced bands,
I agree with you on your opinion of the Eagles. Less so on Queen.

I'm a huge fan of both The Who and Led Zeppelin.

I agree with you on your opinion of the Eagles. Less so on Queen.

I'm a huge fan of both The Who and Led Zeppelin.
I think Led Zeppelin had good technical ability, but they lacked the charm and intelligence of The Who. Queen is just the peak of middlebrow idiocy for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back