Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting. Just out of curiosity, was it lack of musicianship, or just dull?
I hated them before I went to see them. But I went to the gig because they were THE CLASH, it was their only ever Australian tour, and so I wanted to see a bit of history and maybe be proven wrong. Unfortunately, I came away with my opinion of them reinforced 1000%.

They bored me to tears. A bunch of posers with nothing to back it up with.

Mick Jones is a useless guitar player when he tries to play anything out of his comfort zone. Paul Simenon's bass is awful and... I. Just. Hate. Them.

The Sex Pistols, on the other hand, were farkin awesome live in 1997. I've also seen (and met) The Ramones - absolutely incredible live and bloody good blokes - so I have nothing against punk music per se, but most of the bands of that era were shiit.

Preaching to the choir, brother. Insipid, inauthentic, soulless.

I'm fortunate that I never had the misfortune to be dragged along to see them live. Luckily, nobody I know likes them either.
I only went to see Dire Straits because a friend gave me a free ticket. I never ever bought any of their music!

'You're The One That I Want' by Olivia Squirrel-John and John Travolta is actually a damn good single.

The fact that neither of them ever released anything else remotely listenable is irrelevant.

Last edited:

I loathe Dire Straits.

I was front and centre when they played Festival Hall in Melbourne back in the day. One of the most boring bands I've ever seen live, on a par with The Clash (who were truly horrible in concert).

I don't hate them, but Knopfler was a very inconsistent songwriter.

He very much overrated his ability to write long and interesting songs (for example, Telegraph Road is a technical masterwork, but it goes on so long that you just lose interest).

It's not a coincidence that their shortened singles were generally so much better than their album versions (Money For Nothing, Brothers In Arms).

The Sex Pistols, on the other hand, were farkin awesome live in 1997.
Yep. Saw them at Festival Hall in 1996 I think (maybe '97). They were sensational.
I have nothing against punk music per se, but most of the bands of that era were shiit.
They really were. And the fans of those acts seem to wear their inability to play as some sort of badge of honour. It's like inverted snobbery. Very strange.

Taylor Swift and Celine Dion should be prosecuted for crimes against music. They're like listening to Kamahl on steroids!

Oh No Please GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

And they're not the only ones.

Unfortunately, the bad easily outnumber the good.
When I was much younger I ended up at a random girl's place after a big night out.

Just after I slumped onto her couch, she said "I'm going to put on some Celine Dion."

I replied, "If you do that, I'm leaving."

She did. I left.

True story.

And I didn't regret it. There are some things not worth putting up with - not even for nooky.

And I didn't regret it. There are some things not worth putting up with - not even for nooky.
Agreed.

And speaking of Celine Dion (I'm so sorry for doing so), whoever was responsible for adding her to the clip of Elvis Presley's performance of "If I Can Dream" from the '68 Comeback Special, should be bull whipped, put into stocks in the middle of downtown Memphis, and pelted with rancid eggs and tomatoes every day until they run out of volunteers to throw the eggs and tomatoes.

I remember seeing that clip a few years ago and after recovering from the shock of seeing her befouling the clip with her mere presence, I noticed how quickly it became obvious how thoroughly outclassed as a vocalist she was in the presence of Presley.

Like comparing the musicianship of Paul Simonon to John Entwistle.

If the album These Days was released by someone other than Bon Jovi it would be considered the best album of the 90s

If the album These Days was released by someone other than Bon Jovi it would be considered the best album of the 90s
Not the best

But reception would be better. They were also at the peak of their touring performance in that era.

I feel for though, to most people in here, you've made the right opinion in the right thread.

A bit of a shame they went backwards with Crush, but it was more successful so it worked for them I guess.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not the best

But reception would be better. They were also at the peak of their touring performance in that era.

I feel for though, to most people in here, you've made the right opinion in the right thread.

A bit of a shame they went backwards with Crush, but it was more successful so it worked for them I guess.

People hate on Bon Jovi in a way they don’t for other similar acts at the time, like Def Leppard and Aerosmith.

Why is that? All these bands were commercial, had soppy radio hits and had front men that women swooned over.

Sambora is probably the most technically talented musician out of any of similar bands of that era as well (aside from Van Halen)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taylor Swift and Celine Dion should be prosecuted for crimes against music. They're like listening to Kamahl on steroids!

Oh No Please GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers
I would say every pop act since around 1987/88 should be prosecuted. Most of the music that has dominated the charts over the last 35 years has been flat, over produced drivel that is unlistenable to anyone with a modicum of good taste.

People hate on Bon Jovi in a way they don’t for other similar acts at the time, like Def Leppard and Aerosmith.

Why is that? All these bands were commercial, had soppy radio hits and had front men that women swooned over.

Sambora is probably the most technically talented musician out of any of similar bands of that era as well (aside from Van Halen)
I don’t mind a few of Bon Jovi’s songs, but I do find Steve Tyler a more interesting frontman and I think there is a level of humour or innuendo to some of Aerosmith’s songs that elevate them above Bon Jovi for me.

I do think the world would be a better place if bands like Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Warrant and most of the other “hair bands” never existed, although I did like Motley Crüe.

Def Leppard and Bon Jovi weren't pure hair metal bands like Poison, Crue, etc.

Def Leppard were more bluesy AC/DC rock that Mutt Lang got in to and made very popular, they stayed image wise a band in jeans and shirts. Bon Jovi had the glam image but the sound was always more pop heavy Bruce Springsteen.

I think people can't hack Bon Jovi as much because they were still smashing in the radio till the mid 2000s like none of their contemporaries.

Last edited:
Def Leppard and Bon Jovi weren't pure hair metal bands like Poison, Crue, etc.

Def Leppard were more bluesy AC/DC rock that Mutt Lang got in to and made very popular, they stayed image wise a band in jeans and shirts. Bon Jovi had the image but the sound was always more pop heavy Bruce Springsteen.

I think people can't hack Bon Jovi as much because they were still smashing in the radio till the mid 2000s like none of their contemporaries.

I don’t think the Bon Jovi member with the curly permed hair helped with the image much!

I would say every pop act since around 1987/88 should be prosecuted. Most of the music that has dominated the charts over the last 35 years has been flat, over produced drivel that is unlistenable to anyone with a modicum of good taste.
tumblr_mnhcbr6r8Y1rp0vkjo1_400.gif

I think you answered it yourself.

Jon Bon Jovi became far too heart throbby for male fans and it put a lot of them off them.

I don't ever recall Joe Elliott or Steve Tyler getting that kind of lust from the ladies.

I think you answered it yourself.

Jon Bon Jovi became far too heart throbby for male fans and it put a lot of them off them.

I don't ever recall Joe Elliott or Steve Tyler getting that kind of lust from the ladies.
Steven Tyler looks too much like an old lady to attract them

Someone must have slept through the 90's.

Someone must have slept through the 90's.
Far from it, some of my favourite artists are from the 90’s, unfortunately acts like Curve, The Falling Joys, The Clouds and the Rollins Band very rarely charted. :(

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back