Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

What's so shocking though?

Record label changes display material to reflect current trends?

Harsh though, Warrant ended up making some tough music. And Alice In Chains stole Bon Jovi's talkbox.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Absolutely.

There's the story of the guy from Warrant going to his record label and there is a poster of them in the office.

A few years later he goes back and it's been replaced with a poster of the Alice in Chains Dirt album.
Also, record labels (at the very least in L.A) literally went into all the radio stations that they had on payola, and stripped them of all the current rock of the time, and told them hey here is a bunch of discs, this is what we're playing now.

Also, record labels (at the very least in L.A) literally went into all the radio stations that they had on payola, and stripped them of all the current rock of the time, and told them hey here is a bunch of discs, this is what we're playing now.
Sounds like Grunge was forced on them and not an entirely organic thing?

Then grunge killed itself and all the vintage hair metal dudes just kept on keeping on.

With the exception of Bon Jovi who seen the writing on the wall and changed his sound before it got to that. I have always thought of him as a more pop Bruce Springsteen anyway than a glam metal guy.

Foo Fighters never stopped? And hardly 'grunge'.

Likewise Smashing Pumpkins.
No, Foo Fighters are still releasing new music and have been consistently. And they evolved from grunge (Smashing Pumpkins came entirely out of the grunge movement); sure, they have evolved, but if you're telling me hair metal bands are playing exactly the same sound 30 years later, I'd suggest I found the problem.

No, Foo Fighters are still releasing new music and have been consistently. And they evolved from grunge (Smashing Pumpkins came entirely out of the grunge movement); sure, they have evolved, but if you're telling me hair metal bands are playing exactly the same sound 30 years later, I'd suggest I found the problem.
It's a timeless sound. Why change it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely.

There's the story of the guy from Warrant going to his record label and there is a poster of them in the office.

A few years later he goes back and it's been replaced with a poster of the Alice in Chains Dirt album.
Which is the length of the Flemington straight better than anything a band like Warrant could ever dream of making!

Hair metal might be the only metal genre that has really died out since inception that I can think of. Even nu metal seems to have come back around a bit and bands like Limp Bizkit, Korn and the Deftones are somewhat relevant.

I'm sure Cannibal Corpse would have been thought of as an absolute joke when they started, well they've been going over 30 years now, they must be doing a few things better than Warrant for example, and essentially doing the same thing.

Hair metal might be the only metal genre that has really died out since inception that I can think of. Even nu metal seems to have come back around a bit and bands like Limp Bizkit, Korn and the Deftones are somewhat relevant.

Motley Crue, Poison, Whitesnake and Def Leppard are still popular enough to do stadium shows last year.

Hair metal is such a narrow genre though.

Plenty of more bands could have been in the genre but lucky for them they are considered straight out Rock instead.

Motley Crue, Poison, Whitesnake and Def Leppard are still popular enough to do stadium shows last year.

Hair metal is such a narrow genre though.

Plenty of more bands could have been in the genre but lucky for them they are considered straight out Rock instead.
Tbh Def Leppard are more rock than hair metal I reckon.

They have a glam sort of side, but mostly they were still a group of guys who played concerts in shirts and jeans like AC/DC. Similar to Van Halen. Though Van Halen did dress pretty wild, their music was not in the hair/glam mould.

Though Van Halen did dress pretty wild, their music was not in the hair/glam mould.
Agree. Van Halen had a unique sound. Definitely hard rock but almost impossible to pin down in any sub-genre of hard/ heavy rock. One of the very best American rock bands of all time, in my humble opinion.

Tbh Def Leppard are more rock than hair metal I reckon.

They have a glam sort of side, but mostly they were still a group of guys who played concerts in shirts and jeans like AC/DC. Similar to Van Halen. Though Van Halen did dress pretty wild, their music was not in the hair/glam mould.

I like Def Leppard and yeah they're more rock than anything. Bit cheesy at times but Hysteria is a cracking listen.

Agree. Van Halen had a unique sound. Definitely hard rock but almost impossible to pin down in any sub-genre of hard/ heavy rock. One of the very best American rock bands of all time, in my humble opinion.

This may fit the thread but never been a fan of Van Halen, maybe you had to be there when they were kicking off. Even EVH, great guitar player but I found his style too cheesy, I dunno. But I'd heard a lot of the two handed tapping stuff before I heard Van Halen really and it's certainly progressed much further than what Eddie had done (of course I'm sure he inspired most of the players who went onto to do it)

This may fit the thread but never been a fan of Van Halen, maybe you had to be there when they were kicking off. Even EVH, great guitar player but I found his style too cheesy, I dunno. But I'd heard a lot of the two handed tapping stuff before I heard Van Halen really and it's certainly progressed much further than what Eddie had done (of course I'm sure he inspired most of the players who went onto to do it)
I've found that I've appreciated their work more the deeper I delved into it and got past the more well known songs (I'm only talking about the Lee Roth era albums). There's quite a bit of guitar work in there that doesn't involve the finger tapping as well.

Each to our own of course.

I've found that I've appreciated their work more the deeper I delved into it and got past the more well known songs (I'm only talking about the Lee Roth era albums). There's quite a bit of guitar work in there that doesn't involve the finger tapping as well.

Each to our own of course.

Admittedly I've never gotten too deep into VH, listened to the first album, it's ok. Honestly there's too much other music available these days to bother with stuff I'm not that into.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back