Umpiring moves

Remove this Banner Ad

Russell Davidson recognised as Umpire Coach of the year and Campbell Hymans received the silver whistle at the AFL Victoria Umpire Awards last night.
Why would an umpire coach (of the year) and as highly credentialed as Russell Davidson feel the need to quit the VAFA, me thinks there is more to the story?

Why isnt the AMMOS a destination for umpires any more?

Why is AFLvic looking at other comps to recruit younger umpires? (Except Mornington Pensinsula).

Cameron Nash and Peter Carey doing exceptionally well

Sad time.

Goal umpire Pat Maebus passed away suddenly last Friday and the shock amongst the umpiring fraternity is significant.

Pat started his umpiring in the field about 40 years ago. He moved to the goals about 15 or so years back and did this year's D4 Reserves Grand Final.

No news on when the funeral will be..but I am lost for words. RIP Pat.
Geez I reckon I ran with him in a hundred years ago! condolences to the family

Why would an umpire coach (of the year) and as highly credentialed as Russell Davidson feel the need to quit the VAFA, me thinks there is more to the story?

Why is AFLvic looking at other comps to recruit younger umpires? (Except Mornington Pensinsula).

It still is the preferred destination for umpires who want make the higher levels. One scan of the AFL, VFL and TAC lists shows that

Peter Carey is gone after about 2 years…

I vividly recall, as an inexperienced umpire in my second season under Barnesy, one of the first sessions where we ran two laps as a warmup, a couple of young guys puking over the fence behind the goals. Not happening to me.

Probably wouldn't happen to me anyway as now we only run two laps of the 45, not the whole oval.

I vividly recall, as an inexperienced umpire in my second season under Barnesy, one of the first sessions where we ran two laps as a warmup, a couple of young guys puking over the fence behind the goals. Not happening to me.

Probably wouldn't happen to me anyway as now we only run two laps of the 45, not the whole oval.

I did that 😢😢

Of course, I'm joshing about there being no need for the calico brigade to be fitness-minded. Just beginning before the AFL guys seems a tad, um, over-enthusiastic - tempted to say over the top.:)

Seem to recall a coach, think he succeeded Shane Herbert for a short time, who was very keen on fitness. He used tennis balls for speed and agility too I think.

Anyhoo, all the best for 2023. Anything less than a Prem GF would be a fail I guess.:rolleyes:

Might pop in sometime mid-season and do an assessment.o_O

Anyhoo, all the best for 2023. Anything less than a Prem GF would be a fail I guess.:rolleyes:

Would have been a fairytale if I'd done it this year. It was Round 1 that did me, first game in 8 years, 10 years since Prem, couple of rusty mistakes while being observed was the difference between finishing 6th and 7th. Still proud I got D1 after working my way into contention through the year. Next year? There's some good guys and young scufflers I'll need to overtake first. We'll see!

You'll be welcome :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course, I'm joshing about there being no need for the calico brigade to be fitness-minded. Just beginning before the AFL guys seems a tad, um, over-enthusiastic - tempted to say over the top.:)

Seem to recall a coach, think he succeeded Shane Herbert for a short time, who was very keen on fitness. He used tennis balls for speed and agility too I think.

Fair comment.

As for me it was great to get back to a senior grand final. My next aim is a return to the top 10 if the body holds up.

Another great year for our younger umpires with 9 more being offered State League contracts - 4 field, 3 boundary and 2 goal.

A deserved achievement to reach the next level.

Congratulations to:

Ben Lefebrve
Campbell Hymans
Jonathon Clark
Harry Warmington
Benjamin Myatt
Nick Bahr
Vo Schofield
Lachlan Higgins
Jake Penny

Not as far as I am aware. There is a good group of underlings who could step up to the plate though.

Over The Post said:

I'd rather be an ascendant calico waver thanks, pounded the hard yards in the sun at Laverton today and actually enjoyed the cold shower afterward.

Getting older though; lay down to read a book this afternoon and woke up two hours later.

So, the much slimmer super fit version of the formerly self-described "Big Boned" goalie will be unrecognisable to, say, pazza?

Perhaps during pre-season shadowing the five-time Premier grand final umpire, otherwise known as the "Little Master", might enhance your chances of the ultimate appointment.;):think:

Best wishes to both you and pazza.

By the bye, has the Director of Coaching position been filled yet?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back