MMA-UFC UFC 284 - Makhachev v Volkanovski

Remove this Banner Ad

Also, Islam also has a win against Tsarukyan, Who is an absolute killer and better then higher profile guys like Chandler

Im worried about Joe Rogans brain if he thinks Volk won, Easily a 3-2, and the 4-1 isn't as bad upon watching it again twice, round 3 is super close, I dont think anybody sane could give 4 to Volk

Some good discussion about if you stand them up at a stale-mate, I mean, If Gaethje or Strickland on your back and nothings happening, yeah think about it, But to stand a guy like Islam when he has someones back is nuts. It's such a dominant position

People are arguing 2 for Volk as is he I thought it was 4 but it was 2.

Not to be Rogans defender but he did say immediately after he called it a Volk win that maybe they were being biased.

Alot of good judged had it for Volk, personally I had it for Islam but shows you how razor thin it was. With how that ended I think Volk Is fav now going into a final fight.

I think there's a much clearer path to victory for Volk than Islam in a rematch

Not convinced Islam will follow on rematch. Think he will be once bitten, twice shy. Volk was about to finish him off so he held on well to the final bell to save himself from that.

Im not even sure Ali knows the rules of MMA nowdays, let alone the finer details of what and whats not illegal in terms of IV drips
Pretty funny if his smart ass attitude by coming out and saying people don't know the rules has actually incriminated his fighter

Also, Islam also has a win against Tsarukyan, Who is an absolute killer and better then higher profile guys like Chandler

Im worried about Joe Rogans brain if he thinks Volk won, Easily a 3-2, and the 4-1 isn't as bad upon watching it again twice, round 3 is super close, I dont think anybody sane could give 4 to Volk

Some good discussion about if you stand them up at a stale-mate, I mean, If Gaethje or Strickland on your back and nothings happening, yeah think about it, But to stand a guy like Islam when he has someones back is nuts. It's such a dominant position
Got a laugh from this..

I believe Joe Rogan since came out and said something along the lines of "Good thing we're not judges, we're biased AF" (to paraphrase).

I believe Joe Rogan since came out and said something along the lines of "Good thing we're not judges, we're biased AF" (to paraphrase).
And they had been drinking and smoking

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, has anyone who scored the fight for Volk rewatched and changed their minds? Have seen a lot of that on Sherdog and Reddit since.
So originally I had it for Machachev, rewatched it and it's one of those fights that you could easily justify giving 2 to volk. It's crazy that so many people who watched it started with one guy, rewatched and gave it to another guy.

I wonder if there's a genuine argument for way more drawn rounds because a drawn fight without a 10-8 round seems more than fair.

Out of curiosity, has anyone who scored the fight for Volk rewatched and changed their minds? Have seen a lot of that on Sherdog and Reddit since.
Funnily enough origionally had it 1/2/4 Islam 3/5 Volk and it was like, Stretch to give Volk second round

Re-watching and thinking that 3 was a LOT closer then I originally had it and would say the 1/4/5th are the only clear cut rounds, Hard however to kinda piece together things in re-watches, As judges have to react to the round rather then re-watch the fight and think "Actually"

Funnily enough origionally had it 1/2/4 Islam 3/5 Volk and it was like, Stretch to give Volk second round

Re-watching and thinking that 3 was a LOT closer then I originally had it and would say the 1/4/5th are the only clear cut rounds, Hard however to kinda piece together things in re-watches, As judges have to react to the round rather then re-watch the fight and think "Actually"
Exactly the same as me.

I was absolutely positive it was 3-2 Islam and thought the 49-46 was the only bad scorecard.

Watched it back and still have it 3-2 Islam but 3 was way closer than i recalled. Probably a bit of wanting Volk to have turned the tide and have it 2-1 going into the chip rounds.

I watched the Rogan clip and was pretty astounded a bunch of fight experts were so sure Volk had it. I never, ever thought he did.

Exactly the same as me.

I was absolutely positive it was 3-2 Islam and thought the 49-46 was the only bad scorecard.

Watched it back and still have it 3-2 Islam but 3 was way closer than i recalled. Probably a bit of wanting Volk to have turned the tide and have it 2-1 going into the chip rounds.

I watched the Rogan clip and was pretty astounded a bunch of fight experts were so sure Volk had it. I never, ever thought he did.

I was the exact same, also the exact same with Whittaker Izzy 2 yet a lot of people thought Rob won that aswell and I never thought Rob had it, it's possible I'm more biased in the opposite direction too I guess.

My experience as well. I'll stick with giving Volk the 3rd but definitely borderline in rewatch.

Exactly the same as me.

Exactly my takeaway, I was originally like "49-46 wtf?" but second/third viewing, Can't be too upset at it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone considered whether Volk should have been given a 10-8 in the 5th round due to his dominance? It would have changed everything. The result would be a majority draw, Makhachev retains his belt with less controversy, Volk remains the unquestionable #1 p4p, Volk keeps his undefeated UFC record alive and it sets up their rematch nicely.

Thoughts?

Has anyone considered whether Volk should have been given a 10-8 in the 5th round due to his dominance? It would have changed everything. The result would be a majority draw, Makhachev retains his belt with less controversy, Volk remains the unquestionable #1 p4p, Volk keeps his undefeated UFC record alive and it sets up their rematch nicely.

Thoughts?
Nah it wasn't a 10-8 round not even close. You need 5 minutes of dominance and nearly finishing the fight.

Nah it wasn't a 10-8 round not even close. You need 5 minutes of dominance and nearly finishing the fight.
To be fair they did recently change the scoring to make 10-8s more common (you used to have to almost Murder a bloke to get a 10-8).

I don’t think it was a 10-8, it was the most dominant round in the fight.

As for the theory, I actually don’t hate it. The outcome (Islam winning but most people thinking Alex looked better and the the p4p rankings not changing) has been bizarre.

To be fair they did recently change the scoring to make 10-8s more common (you used to have to almost Murder a bloke to get a 10-8).

I don’t think it was a 10-8, it was the most dominant round in the fight.

As for the theory, I actually don’t hate it. The outcome (Islam winning but most people thinking Alex looked better and the the p4p rankings not changing) has been bizarre.
I'd be happier with more 10-8 rounds I think the scoring system is way behind where fights should be. I'm even a fan of the old pride rule of judging an overall fight and not banking rounds so that a dominant 5th round can be a decider as well.

But in terms of what's been given 10-8s lately that wasn't a 10-8 to me

I'd be happier with more 10-8 rounds I think the scoring system is way behind where fights should be. I'm even a fan of the old pride rule of judging an overall fight and not banking rounds so that a dominant 5th round can be a decider as well.

I’m in agreement.

I agree, judges should give more 10-8s as well as 10-10s I think to make it more accurate.

I don't mind judging a fight overall either. A prime example was Hooker v Poirier, Poirier was a clear winner by the Pride judging (Hooker started off well but Dustin beat him down in the end). Yet it was pretty close on the cards I think, not a good reflection of the fight.

I was there and knew, as Buff was reading the scores - Islam definitely had it. The heart said Volk but the head definitely said Islam.

If Volk was a little more focused on pushing the pace in 3, 4 & 5 and not admiring his handywork in the exchanges, talking to his & Islam's coaches etc. The belt definitely could've been his and we could all have been having a different conversation.

I really do think Volk was just relishing the occasion a little more than he normally does with the home crowd - if was in Las Vegas maybe his mentality during exchanges might've been a little different perhaps.
That's not a shot at him either - it's just a product of the occasion, the entire world expected him to get manhandled, and he fed off the crowd everytime he fought to his feet, or threw a combo. It really was an inspirational event to witness in the flesh.

Another train of thought - he spent almost his entire camp drilling situational and wrestling defence. His striking wasn't as crisp as we've seen in the past, not taking anything away from Islam, but if Volk spent his entire camp say.. training standup in Thailand he'd have looked sharper in the exchanges but not as confident and likely getting manhandled on the ground.

I'd expect him to look a LOT sharper for Yair, seeing how good Yair looked makes me nervous for Volk.

Agree with above about the occasion and the atmosphere. I have been to Premier League, Champions League finals, Wembley Finals, AFL finals, and this was up there atmosphere wise given the arena and the acoustics.

Thoughts?
He only really dominated a minute or two of the round, with Islam briefly taking him down, and probably edging the stand-up exchanges for the first 2-3 mins. Can't see how you could give it a 10-8.

Agree with above about the occasion and the atmosphere. I have been to Premier League, Champions League finals, Wembley Finals, AFL finals, and this was up there atmosphere wise given the arena and the acoustics.
It certainly seemed like it from watching on TV but it's great to hear from someone who actually attended the event who also has other reference points around the world to compare it to. I think this just shows how big MMA really can be in this country when we've got our very own champions to get behind and truth be told, the event probably should have been held at Optus Stadium (next time hopefully). Whittaker v Adesanya at Marvel still holds the all time attendance record in the UFC and Rousey v Holm is number two on that list but I must say I think it was great to see a city other than Melbourne going absolutely nuts for a UFC event. Don't get me wrong, I think Melbourne always does events like this well but for us as a country to become more appealing for the UFC I feel we need more hosting cities to also step up to the plate.

Volk seemed to suggest the UFC plans to come back to Australia for another PPV in November and I would guess they are eyeing off Marvel Stadium once again. I don't think it'll be the Volk v Makhachev rematch because they appeared to already agree that they will fight in Abu Dhabi but I wouldn't be surprised to see Adesanya headlining that card and perhaps it'll even be the trilogy fight between him and Pereira.

He only really dominated a minute or two of the round, with Islam briefly taking him down, and probably edging the stand-up exchanges for the first 2-3 mins. Can't see how you could give it a 10-8.
Maybe my judgement was clouded by the way the round ended. I still need to watch it back.

The state government spruiking the success of 284:

Perth gets satisfaction from UFC success breaking arena records​

Wednesday, 15 February 2023

• UFC 284 breaks Rolling Stones record for national arena revenue
  • Event sets new sporting event attendance record for RAC Arena
  • UFC 284 part of McGowan Government's major events strategy for tourism
The highly successful UFC 284 event at RAC Arena broke a series of records in a lucrative week for Western Australia's hospitality and tourism businesses.

UFC 284: Makhachev vs Volkanovski set both national and RAC Arena revenue records while breaking the sporting event attendance record for RAC Arena.

The McGowan Government, through Tourism WA, brought UFC to Australia exclusively for the first time in more than 1000 days driving economic returns for WA.

It was the centrepiece of arguably the biggest ever weekend of sporting and cultural events in Perth.

The gross ticketing revenue for UFC 284 was $5,911,598. This beat the previous Australian record held by the Rolling Stones at Sydney's Qudos Bank Arena in 2014.

UFC 284 also had the highest number of ticket sales for a single sporting event in RAC Arena's history, with 14,124 fans filling the arena.

Almost 9,000 of those tickets - about 70 per cent - were sold to people from out of WA who travelled to Perth for the event.

In comparison, about 30 per cent of the ticketholders came from out of State for the previous UFC 221 in Perth in 2018.

The previous sporting event attendance record for RAC Arena was 13,908 at last year's Super Netball victory by the West Coast Fever against the Melbourne Vixens - another event delivered by the McGowan Government through Tourism WA.

The final economic impact of UFC284 on the local economy is still being finalised but it will be significantly more than the $5.3 million of direct revenue for local businesses in 2018.

UFC 284 drew big crowds throughout the week at various events, including about 6,000 fans for the ceremonial weigh in at RAC Arena on Saturday and a further 6,000 for the public press conference and Elizabeth Quay Open Workouts.

UFC attracted a massive global social media and pay-per-view audience from around 172 countries. Promotions for Perth and WA were featured throughout the UFC 284 broadcasts in 40 different languages.

While in Perth, UFC athletes and celebrity ticketholders also explored some of Perth's most iconic destinations such as Rottnest Island and the Swan Valley, sharing their experiences with tens of millions of social media followers.

UFC 284 was made possible because of a McGowan Government election commitment in 2017 to lift a ban on the UFC's Octagon, allowing Tourism WA to secure major UFC events for the benefit of local tourism and State economy.

UFC 284 capped off a huge range of diverse sporting and cultural events in Perth last weekend.

This included over 50,000 people at Optus Stadium for Red Hot Chili Peppers and Post Malone, 14,000 at St Jerome's Laneway Festival, Sting entertaining 12,000
people at Kings Park, Perth Festival, Fringe World, West Australian Ballet at The Quarry, the Australia Sprint Car Championship at Perth Motorplex and the Swimming WA State Championships at HBF Stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back