TSL licenses 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon you may also find that ex presidents may have a personal axe to grind with staff at AFL TAS, that too can be seen as a conflict of interest. Can someone please let me know how a regional structure setup would be any better than what is happening now? The standard of Football certainly wouldn't be better, crowds are no different to what was attending the SFL Premier division 5 years ago, Hobart would still be cellar dwellers, North Hobart would still be a mediocre Football club, Glenorchy would fluctuate from year to year depending on the politics and in fighting in there club, Clarence would still dominate and Lauderdale would continue to show the Football public that instead of sitting on your asses and dreaming about what happened 40 years ago you can actually grow a Club with the right vision and pathway structure.

What an arrogant person you must be, showing no respect to Hobart & Nth Hobart whatsoever.Clubs like yours & Clarence were sitting on your asses saying nothing while AFL Tas were dismantling two clubs so Wade & Baker could pass of a license to a mate down at Kingston. When they force the next merger on the Eastern Shore & your playing out of Cambridge as the Eastern Shore Renagades i hope you don't start bleating to other clubs to save you. Windy won't, he will be to busy running the canteen down there.

What an arrogant person you must be, showing no respect to Hobart & Nth Hobart whatsoever.Clubs like yours & Clarence were sitting on your asses saying nothing while AFL Tas were dismantling two clubs so Wade & Baker could pass of a license to a mate down at Kingston. When they force the next merger on the Eastern Shore & your playing out of Cambridge as the Eastern Shore Renagades i hope you don't start bleating to other clubs to save you. Windy won't, he will be to busy running the canteen down there.

Last time I checked AFL TAS was run by a board of directors not Scott Wade.

I reckon you may also find that ex presidents may have a personal axe to grind with staff at AFL TAS, that too can be seen as a conflict of interest. Can someone please let me know how a regional structure setup would be any better than what is happening now? The standard of Football certainly wouldn't be better, crowds are no different to what was attending the SFL Premier division 5 years ago, Hobart would still be cellar dwellers, North Hobart would still be a mediocre Football club, Glenorchy would fluctuate from year to year depending on the politics and in fighting in there club, Clarence would still dominate and Lauderdale would continue to show the Football public that instead of sitting on your asses and dreaming about what happened 40 years ago you can actually grow a Club with the right vision and pathway structure.

I agree with you that a S.W.L is necessary for Tasmanian football to be taken seriously from those funding/viewing it from the big island.

However there is a view that the competition should be an 8 side competition, with 4 sides both in the south and north of the state. In regard to the southern sides this would mean Glenorchy (norther suburbs), Kingston (southern suburbs), Hobart City (city areas) and a single eastern shore side (merging Clarence & Lauderdale.

A merger between Lauderdale and Clarence might shock many, however if AFL Tasmania truly wish to improve the standard of Tasmanian football it would be hard to argue against.

I am still curious as to how long term AFL Tasmania are going to ensure that the new entity of Hobart City FC are going to be any stronger than NHFC (now HFC have walked away from the merger).

NHFC by default have access to HFC senior and junior players and their recruiting zone. If AFL Tasmania have a 50% stake in the new club what is actually going to improve?

Surely the same resources afforded the preferred merged entity (HFC & NHFC) will now be offered to NHFC. So my point is what tangible improvements will be able to be measured with this new club.

Sure they want a new board, jumper, club song and team name, but what is going to be better by initiating all these changes.

I would really love an answer to this as no one has been able to spell this out.

Cheers

Whatever 'conflict of interest' the Presidents have is generally about the known interest they have regarding their clubs position. It becomes a bit messy when we find out some clubs have been 'looked after' better than others. In that case those lucky presidents should declare they have a conflict of interest when they support some of the proposals that AFLTas have pushed which do financially affect the clubs. Things like dumping the reserves etc. The continual 'overwhelming' spin put out by the Clarence president was put in context when it comes out that that club are supported to the hilt by ex player & manager Wade when other clubs are struggling.
That IS a 'conflict of interest'

Whatever 'conflict of interest' the Presidents have is generally about the known interest they have regarding their clubs position. It becomes a bit messy when we find out some clubs have been 'looked after' better than others. In that case those lucky presidents should declare they have a conflict of interest when they support some of the proposals that AFLTas have pushed which do financially affect the clubs. Things like dumping the reserves etc. The continual 'overwhelming' spin put out by the Clarence president was put in context when it comes out that that club are supported to the hilt by ex player & manager Wade when other clubs are struggling.
That IS a 'conflict of interest'

Don't you mean EX CLUB PRESIDENTS? Its quite well known that North Hobart and Hobart are actually quite wealthy? I heard Steve Allie on radio the other day saying that additional funding should be even across the whole competition, well wouldn't that defeat the purpose? Do you think Collingwood are complaining that the AFL give Port Adelaide extra funding? I think not

I agree with you that a S.W.L is necessary for Tasmanian football to be taken seriously from those funding/viewing it from the big island.

However there is a view that the competition should be an 8 side competition, with 4 sides both in the south and north of the state. In regard to the southern sides this would mean Glenorchy (norther suburbs), Kingston (southern suburbs), Hobart City (city areas) and a single eastern shore side (merging Clarence & Lauderdale.

A merger between Lauderdale and Clarence might shock many, however if AFL Tasmania truly wish to improve the standard of Tasmanian football it would be hard to argue against.

I am still curious as to how long term AFL Tasmania are going to ensure that the new entity of Hobart City FC are going to be any stronger than NHFC (now HFC have walked away from the merger).

NHFC by default have access to HFC senior and junior players and their recruiting zone. If AFL Tasmania have a 50% stake in the new club what is actually going to improve?

Surely the same resources afforded the preferred merged entity (HFC & NHFC) will now be offered to NHFC. So my point is what tangible improvements will be able to be measured with this new club.

Sure they want a new board, jumper, club song and team name, but what is going to be better by initiating all these changes.

I would really love an answer to this as no one has been able to spell this out.

Cheers

I agree with the 8 team model. I always felt it would be more efficient as a SWL. I wouldnt look at amalgamations. Look at the mess caused by the near amalgamation of HFC & NHFC:rolleyes:.
All they had to do was pick the 8 clubs based on a team out of the major areas of West NWC/Burnie, East NWC/Devonport, North East/Launy x2, & Hobart region, Kingborough/Huon, Glenorchy/Derwent Valley/Southern Midlands, Clarence/Greater South East. I'm sure that with PROPER management that it would have worked better than the current mess we have from AFLTas.
Most of HFC zone would be taken up by Kingston I would think?
NHFC will need to keep the club as is if it is to keep its supporters.
I guess that AFLTas dont tell us what they want because they dont know? I wish I could just guess at what this mess is all about, but I cant. IHNFI what they are trying to do & how they are trying to do it, whatever 'IT' is.:confused:

Don't you mean EX CLUB PRESIDENTS? Its quite well known that North Hobart and Hobart are actually quite wealthy? I heard Steve Allie on radio the other day saying that additional funding should be even across the whole competition, well wouldn't that defeat the purpose? Do you think Collingwood are complaining that the AFL give Port Adelaide extra funding? I think not

Unlike you I don't pretend to know the finances of these clubs, but on this site the other day a poster was saying that North Hobart hadn't paid their players since earlier in the season. Hobart does have money, Mr Wade was pretty keen on it, but i think its in some kind of trust. A bit odd for two supposedly wealthy clubs.

Heard on the weekend that former Southern Cats president dennis Fuller will be the president of the new Kingborough team.
Might explain the following Statement from Dennis Fuller posted yesterday on the Tasmanian Football Scores & News Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/tasmanianfootball

"Opinions stated are not necessarily those of TFS&N.

OPINION: Future of Tasmanian Football – TSL TIGERS
Prepared by Dennis Fuller, past President of Southern Cats State-wide Football Club.

It truly amazes me to listen (and see) all the “negative crap” that is going around at the moment (and some of it from ...people who should know better). It is possibly because a negative position doesn’t take much research, is controversial and is the easiest path to take.

Our National game, Aussie Rules Footy is in great shape at the moment with the biggest participation, supporter and viewer base across the majority of Australia and we in Tassie are no different to other “footy” states.

Future of footy in Tassie now has a “purpose” by being restructured to suit the future needs of the various communities around the state. Unfortunately in some cases, tradition is being lost, but the past is the past is the past. That is no reason to continue on regardless, it is called progress. Whatever happens in the future will not alter our past and memories and history will remain. The future has been carefully planned with a business head (not emotions) and is based on a number of critical issues such as future population areas with an emphasis on growing the sport and providing well structured pathways for youth as well as participation at various levels.

It is only natural that the AFL are going to want a major say in how footy is structured in our State. They are Australia’s governing body and have seen a lot of failures in the past.

At least the important people have confidence in our state and are prepared to underpin it both financially and resource-wise. The majority of people do not realise the commitment from the AFL. All going well, each of the 10 TSL clubs will receive support to the tune of around 100K per year. That’s one million a year for a ten year licence or Ten million dollars (for just one part of the operation in Tassie). With that sort of commitment I am sure the AFL will oversee and make the structure right for the future.

They will ensure (through AFL Tas) that all the checks and balances are in place, including best business practices, quality control and so on. As soon as someone stuffs up they will be held to account.

I only wish the Southern Cats had that sort of support, because the Tigers TSL model is very similar. IE: Having one club at the highest level in the state to represent the areas south of Hobart. The top players of the area will not be forced to leave prior to progressing to AFL (and hopefully returning)

If it’s done right “footy people” in Tassie will embrace it, only time will tell but I think most genuine AFL supporters will give it a “fair go”.

A far as the TSL Tigers and the process to get to where we are today is concerned:

It would be fair to say that over the past 20 months or so “due process” has taken place with all interested parties having an opportunity to participate.

Firstly, Hobart Football Club had an opportunity to negotiate with Kingborough and move to Twin Ovals. This option was not taken up and I fully understand their position. Hobart FC has the right to determine their own future and now the structure is sorted their decision should be respected.

Secondly, AFL Tasmania went down the path of putting together a “stand-alone” TSL team from the Huon/Channel area. However the logistics of this proved too much, as most existing clubs struggle to find the resources within their own club, that alone get involved in a bigger commitment.

This left the third option; AFL Tas to form a partnership with an existing club to make the move to TSL.

This brought about a lot of challenges for both parties over the past 20 months. It finally produced the current model, which realistically make good business, due to factors like the Twin Ovals complex , population as well as council support.

As far as being accepted by other clubs in Huon/Channel:
Only time will tell. The TSL Tigers are well aware that if they do the right thing, the system should work (what-ever the TSL level name). I know and respect plenty of people in these areas, having been involved for all my football career as well as rubbed shoulders at administration level afterwards.
I am confident that the majority would agree with the current model especially when they look into the process and reasoning behind it. However I did like the quote that “there are more tigers than a zoo” - but if you can’t have a bit of fun then life is dull.

The TSL Tigers concept is not about taking players from those teams but more about giving any player who wants to have a crack at AFL footy the opportunity to come through a club in their own area if they wish, the choice is theirs.

Most clubs in a situation similar to Kingborough Footy Club would have done similar.
The club has demonstrated the ability to change for the benefit of the future over it’s 100+ year history, such as: Moving from the Kingborough Association to the Huon in 1968, moving to the STFL in 1996, changing name from Kingston Football Club to Kingborough Tigers FC as to embrace the whole area and support the push for the Twin Ovals. And now moving to TSL level and agreeing to change their traditional playing strip at TSL level, (one that has been around since world war 2).
The club has challenges ahead and deserve positive rather than negative support. Rodney Herweynen & co should be praised for making the hard decisions for the overall good of kids (and parents) in the area.
Dennis Fuller "

I find it amusing when people say Scott Wade is biased towards Clarence because he was a premiership player there, well he coached Hobart did he not? played in a premiership with Hobart? won a William Leitch medal with Hobart? His father was a premiership player with Hobart and club president and his nephew was drafted into the AFL from Hobart. No one ever seems to mention that though its just all about how biased he is towards Clarence.

I find it amusing when people say Scott Wade is biased towards Clarence because he was a premiership player there, well he coached Hobart did he not? played in a premiership with Hobart? won a William Leitch medal with Hobart? His father was a premiership player with Hobart and club president and his nephew was drafted into the AFL from Hobart. No one ever seems to mention that though its just all a about he biased he is towards Clarence.
And Lauderdale

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So according to you AFL TAS is run by a board of directors of which Scott Wade is not so SW has no influence over AFL TAS decisions? Wow I suppose you also think James HIrd has done nothing wrong.

No buddy, didn't say he has no influence over what goes on. I said he is not on the Board of directors, which he isn't!!!

No buddy, didn't say he has no influence over what goes on. I said he is not on the Board of directors, which he isn't!!!

You said AFL TAS was run by a board of directors, you also said Scott Wade was not part of that board.Can't have it both ways. I get it "buddy" you are a SW apologist and I'm not.

You said AFL TAS was run by a board of directors, you also said Scott Wade was not part of that board.Can't have it both ways. I get it "buddy" you are a SW apologist and I'm not.

I honestly don't get what your saying?

I honestly don't get what your saying?

Because you are pretty much the dumbest poster I've ever read on this website. Your obviously know Wade or Work for AFL Tas or Lauderdale and have an extremely biased irrelevant point of view on the matter.

The state league is a dead duck plain and simple. The argument that we need a pathway through a state league for kids to get drafted is ridiculous. We never had a problem of getting kids drafted when we actually had a proper pathway in the Mariners playing in the TAC cup. The money AFL Tas is blowing on setting up 2 new clubs would be much better spent on re-establishing the Mariners Program.

A return to Regional Football with either a State Carnival or a State Decider between the regional premiers would be the preferred option for 98% of the football public in Tasmania.

Totally agree, the mariners should never have been scrapped. In fact I will go further and say, The mariners and the devils should both be brought back. If you get drafted from the mariners excellent, if not, you move up to the devils which would give you another chance of being drafted. Twice as many opportunities! Add the fact that we would get a crowd to a game at Bellerive oval and who knows the support of Tasmanian football might start to become positive again.[/quote]

Scott Wade did play for Hobart yes but when he left Hobart in 1988 to play with Clarence he didn’t leave on good terms and hasn’t really ever been seen back, perhaps that can explain some of his actions towards his former club. A rumour I have heard, is that the new reserves competition will not last much longer than next year, with the eventual aim of AFLTas is to have the TSL clubs to be just one team clubs or maybe just have an Under 18 team associated with them. Apparently setting up the new reserves competition for next year was only to get the signatures of the clubs to sign up for the TSL.

Totally agree, the mariners should never have been scrapped. In fact I will go further and say, The mariners and the devils should both be brought back. If you get drafted from the mariners excellent, if not, you move up to the devils which would give you another chance of being drafted. Twice as many opportunities! Add the fact that we would get a crowd to a game at Bellerive oval and who knows the support of Tasmanian football might start to become positive again.
[/quote]

The fact that AFL Tasmania refuses to listen to what the vast majority of the Tasmania Football public and fair to say majority of players want goes to show how much they have run the game into the ground in this state.

The fact that AFL Tasmania refuses to listen to what the vast majority of the Tasmania Football public and fair to say majority of players want goes to show how much they have run the game into the ground in this state.[/quote]

Hard to disagree with that

The fact that AFL Tasmania refuses to listen to what the vast majority of the Tasmania Football public and fair to say majority of players want goes to show how much they have run the game into the ground in this state.[/quote]

Why is it fair to say that a majority of the players want to go back to a regional comp? Do they not have that choice already?

Because you are pretty much the dumbest poster I've ever read on this website. Your obviously know Wade or Work for AFL Tas or Lauderdale and have an extremely biased irrelevant point of view on the matter.

The state league is a dead duck plain and simple. The argument that we need a pathway through a state league for kids to get drafted is ridiculous. We never had a problem of getting kids drafted when we actually had a proper pathway in the Mariners playing in the TAC cup. The money AFL Tas is blowing on setting up 2 new clubs would be much better spent on re-establishing the Mariners Program.

A return to Regional Football with either a State Carnival or a State Decider between the regional premiers would be the preferred option for 98% of the football public in Tasmania.

Don't pretend to know anything about me mate, just because our opinions differ no need to throw around insults.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back