Travis Cloke and the zone

Remove this Banner Ad

Heater39

Club Legend
Jun 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was listening to Bucks on radio on Saturday and he made an interesting point about Kosi and Riewoldt. He said that now that teams are implementing the zone this makes Riewoldt less effective as his strength is leading up into space which now gets blocked up by the zone. On the other hand Kosi becomes more important because he can take the big contested marks, which is hard to stop with zoning.

If I were to compare playing styles, I would say Cloke is our Riewoldt as his strength is leading up into space to get posession. Last year we saw Cloke really struggle against the Hawks, possibly due to this issue of zoning. Rocca would be our Kosi as he has the ability to take the big pack mark, he missed both Hawthorn games last year I believe and could be an important factor against them this year.

Do you think it will have an affect on Clokes impact and playing style? Or am I reading too much into it? Do you think this makes Rocca more important as the player who can take the big pack mark in the forward line?

*Thread title is meant to say Travis Cloke.

Re: Travic Cloke and the zone

I think big Trav will be right, his a bit of a victim of his role and the way we play means we need him to play that role. I actually think if he was allowed to spend time deeper that contested marking would come. I actually also think Riewoldt is a very good contested mark in terms of his ability to do it, he just doesn't play a role which requires him to do it much.

As for Trav I think his struggling against Hawthorn has more to do with the lack of supply with any kind of quality then anything else. They smashed us, they got first use of the ball, didn't turn it over and made us turn it over when we had it.

I'm afraid that Rocca doesn't have the engine to get into position to take that contested mark up the ground. He needs to focus on at least creating pressure in our forward 50 before he start hauling himself up the ground to be a link man.

I wouldn't expect much from Rocca this week other than taking one of Geelongs premium defenders - thus making it easier for Anthony, Cloke and Medhurst.

Unlike some, I actually don't mind Cloke gets a lot of possession up the ground. It keeps him in the game longer, and from what I've seen he pushes back to the forward line pretty quickly.

But he won't be anywhere near the CHF we need if he doesn't have a bigger presence in the air.

Same applies for JA, that's why Rocca will be picked next week.

I'm afraid that Rocca doesn't have the engine to get into position to take that contested mark up the ground. He needs to focus on at least creating pressure in our forward 50 before he start hauling himself up the ground to be a link man.

I wouldn't expect much from Rocca this week other than taking one of Geelongs premium defenders - thus making it easier for Anthony, Cloke and Medhurst.
I'm sure the OP meant taking a contested mark in the forward 50.

ie: kicking over the zone.

Rocca dominated Geelong last time and I expect him to do it again.

I reckon the Zone has made Cloke push up the Ground more than he should because the last 2 games he just about goes to the Defensive 50 when he should be in the Offensive 50

I reckon the Zone has made Cloke push up the Ground more than he should because the last 2 games he just about goes to the Defensive 50 when he should be in the Offensive 50

The Swans showed on Saturday night how to beat the defensive zone - work in packs of two or three, move the ball down as fast as you can so as not to give time for the defenders run to position, center the ball unless a player is free on one of the flanks to mark, hit the defenders as hard as you can and if you can't take the contested mark, hit the ball to ground and rely on your running forwards to break the ball free and run into goal. Magpies rely on one on one football and creating space by running harder than the opposition. We tend to hold onto the football unless a player has broken free to accept the kick or handball. Hawthorn love this kind of football because it enables them the time to set up their defensive zone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back