How do we copy the Geelong and Swans models of not bottoming out?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Geelong method is easy.

Just got to go out and sign the best mid and forward in the comp because they love the "lifestyle" while still somehow having zero salary cap issues.

Neither team has had to hit rock bottom when they rebuilt.

Both teams seem to challenge every few years.
Geelong recruiters have an excellent eye for talent when it comes to drafting. Holmes is a case in point.

They have also drafted more mature players like Stewart and Blivcas who have been great players.

They target players and get them.

And finally they negotiate hard.

We merge with north, the seniors play as the magpies, the magoos as the kangaroos. Then after an appropriate period of time, say 3 months, members vote to return to the magpies, but we wear norths jumper once a year for heritage round in the vfl only, because we’re a charitable bunch.
3 months !!!!!
Surely that's a typo.
3 games or 3 weeks. Which ever is the lesser.
Oh and we wear a hybrid of the Nth and Collingwood jumper, it must contain black and white but we allow a little bit of blue on the socks once every leap year. Because we're a charitable bunch.

3 months !!!!!
Surely that's a typo.
3 games or 3 weeks. Which ever is the lesser.
Oh and we wear a hybrid of the Nth and Collingwood jumper, it must contain black and white but we allow a little bit of blue on the socks once every leap year. Because we're a charitable bunch.
you’re correct, I was being too generous

On average, Collingwood have reached the preliminary final stage every two years for the past two decades.

They haven’t won many flags with this method…. It’s not proven to be any better or worse than any other method. The three Geelong won in 2007-11 were from landing early draft picks and father sons. Since then they have won just one flag, albeit they have jumped out of the blocks this year.

Similarly the Swans have only won two flags in recent years, same as Collingwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On average, Collingwood have reached the preliminary final stage every two years for the past two decades.

But we’re still terrible at list building and development - right?

I’m not sure that we’ll bottom out. Right now, I’d say it’s perhaps not looking great. But in three weeks, I might say something different.

One thing I can say with absolute confidence is that the club is in good hands, perhaps the best ‘hands’ we’ve been in for decades. With these people in charge, we may be able to ‘innovate’ our way out of bottoming out. Watch this space I guess.

And BTW, we’re not finished yet in 2024. I have a sense of us circling the pack…

Last edited:
Geelong kept majority of thier firsts.

They poached a prime Dangerfield, Thouhy, Cameron and brought in a still quality player in I.Smith and servicable Henderson.

They poached O.Henry off us for peanuts, made off with GC pick 7, and got a great deal on Tim Kelly.

Geelong kept majority of thier firsts.

They poached a prime Dangerfield, Thouhy, Cameron and brought in a still quality player in I.Smith and servicable Henderson.

They poached O.Henry off us for peanuts, made off with GC pick 7, and got a great deal on Tim Kelly.
In short, they don't get reamed, they take no s**t. Nor do they swan off with their family on sabbaticals. They stand on their principles and accessible surf beaches, and get their man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back