Oppo Camp Tom Phillips (Traded to Hawthorn 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Taylor Adams. It's obvious how much work Tay has put in on an obvious weakness in his game. He was a bloody awful kick when he came to the club & although he still isn't elite, he has improved considerably.
Taylor Adams always had a nice low flat kick though it was mainly his decision making and the fact we played him the backline which requires more floated weighted pass.

I’d argue Phillips action isn’t that badin space though it’s more he just panics under pressure. If he gained more strength composure in the contest his kicking would hardly be looked at.

Haven’t commented til now because I was so disgusted at this trade.

Firstly, Tom was surplus to requirement... he’s only a wing player and we have other options

As others have said, had he not commanded so much money he might still be on our list. Hawks will honour his remaining deal, but very quietly, his years after that will be much more befitting his level of contribution.

That’s a lesson to younger players... despite what the player managers tell you... greed isn’t good.

Look at other examples this year in T MacDonald, Pittard, Polec... if you chase the big bucks you attract more scrutiny and may actually be shaving years off your career.

As for what we sold Phillips for... I’m beyond filthy at pick 65.

When a very comparable player in Ed Langdon... who would also have been on a decent salary... goes for a pick in the 20s... you’d expect something similar from Ned Guy. Maybe concede somewhat on value and insist upon two of the Hawks three picks in the late 40s.

Disgraceful

Firstly, Tom was surplus to requirement... he’s only a wing player and we have other options

As others have said, had he not commanded so much money he might still be on our list. Hawks will honour his remaining deal, but very quietly, his years after that will be much more befitting his level of contribution.

That’s a lesson to younger players... despite what the player managers tell you... greed isn’t good.

Look at other examples this year in T MacDonald, Pittard, Polec... if you chase the big bucks you attract more scrutiny and may actually be shaving years off your career.

When a very comparable player in Ed Langdon... who would also have been on a decent salary... goes for a pick in the 20s... you’d expect something similar from Ned Guy. Maybe concede somewhat on value and insist upon two of the Hawks three picks in the late 40s.

Disgraceful
Yep should been Pick 24.

Yep should been Pick 24.
Nah. If we had have paid pick 24 for the equivalent of Tom Phillips, would you have been happy?

Disgraceful
Was Pittard chasing the big bucks though? I always assumed he was the steak knives in the Polec deal, who actually was chasing big bucks.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

IMO Phillips will never be a great kick because his problem is mental, not technique. He panics under pressure. That’s why he fumbles the ball, falls over and mis-kicks so often. He is not mentally calm and composed. He’s the opposite of Pendles in that regard. No amount of skills practise and biomechanical analysis will make up for a frazzled mind. He needs a sports psychologist more than a kicking coach.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He needed Christian Barnard...

Heart transplant

How did Phillips play today? We lost him for peanuts.

The way he plays at Hawthorn will be a good indication of whether our players are simply not good enough... or whether we are simply bad at bringing the best out of the players ....

How did Phillips play today? We lost him for peanuts.

The way he plays at Hawthorn will be a good indication of whether our players are simply not good enough... or whether we are simply bad at bringing the best out of the players ....

What makes you think we got rid of him because he isnt good enough? It’s quite the opposite. We had to get rid of players that other clubs were even vaguely interested in, to get the salary off the books.

Last edited:
And the most plausible explanation for that that I can come up with, is that we thought the Beams settlement would be allowed outside the cap, then found out at the eleventh hour that it wouldn’t be; ergo, fire sale.

And the most plausible explanation for that that I can come up with, is that we thought the Beams settlement would be allowed outside the cap, then found out at the eleventh hour that it wouldn’t be; ergo, fire sale.

I have no doubt whatsoever that is the case. It’s the only thing that explains the sudden rush to clear players off the books

(Or take that theory one step further, maybe the gambling debts that were allegedly paid off on his behalf were also ruled to be a salary cap expense at the last minute)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really a shame, he e created the most he could with very limited abilities. He’ll be proud of his career

I meant shame he couldn't play on and I agree, he'll be proud. I would.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back