Third Test Australia v Pakistan Jan 3-7 1000hrs @ the SCG

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

the real question is do we need 2 all-rounders.

Marsh has been reasonably handy with the ball. do we desperately need green bowling also?

its a good problem to have i guess!

We don't "need" two all rounders but Marsh and Green would get picked as a bat anyway I'd think so it's the ideal scenario, the best all rounders would get picked on one discipline.

Gives us some options for the sub continent that's for sure, even though we'll still get done no doubt.

Maybe because Green averages about 5-10 runs per innings higher than him in all forms, and is the future.

No matter what smith has to accept there may be no going back from this if green gets 4 spot and does solid job smith loses the right to go back there later, he would need to bat at 6 if opening didnt work out if green performs at 4 but i could see him quitting before doing that so this is a huge gamble if they go this way smiths test career could be toast before next ashes.

Why do we just keep enabling Steve Smith……bloke gets treated like he is Jesus or what other religious symbol you like.

If you go down this track what does it mean for Shield cricket? Why would blokes bother putting in the hard yards md putting scores on the board?

Why do we just keep enabling Steve Smith……bloke gets treated like he is Jesus or what other religious symbol you like.

If you go down this track what does it mean for Shield cricket? Why would blokes bother putting in the hard yards md putting scores on the board?
Perhaps it tells them that if they average 55 in FC cricket like Steve has done, they might make the test side?

Because when you boast a record that puts you in the conversation as the second best batsman of all time, certainly the second best Australian batsman at the very least, you earn that right

Green is the most overrated cricketer in the entire world
At the age of 24 in test cricket he has 6 50s, 1 100, an average of 33.59 with the bat, 1 5-for and and average of 36.07 with the ball. He has taken multiple exceptional catches that other players simply would not have taken, several at crucial times.

In first class cricket he has scored 13 50s and 9 100s at an average of 46.77, and taken 3 5-fors and has an average of 33.35. That’s without mentioning he’s 200cm and can bowl 140km/h.

Remember, he’s only 24 years old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the age of 24 in test cricket he has 6 50s, 1 100, an average of 33.59 with the bat, 1 5-for and and average of 36.07 with the ball. He has taken multiple exceptional catches that other players simply would not have taken, several at crucial times.

In first class cricket he has scored 13 50s and 9 100s at an average of 46.77, and taken 3 5-fors and has an average of 33.35. That’s without mentioning he’s 200cm and can bowl 140km/h.

Remember, he’s only 24 years old.

I agree with you, and it will be interesting to see when Aaron Hardie might get a run. I think Green got rushed into the team a bit because we didn't have an allrounder and there were spots available. Now it's a bit harder, Green currently out of the team.

I just checked Hardie's numbers and at FC level he's 43 with the bat and 27 with the ball. Even with just the bat he's going better than Harris and Bancroft at FC level, they open so it's a bit different but still, compelling numbers .

I agree with you, and it will be interesting to see when Aaron Hardie might get a run. I think Green got rushed into the team a bit because we didn't have an allrounder and there were spots available. Now it's a bit harder, Green currently out of the team.

I just checked Hardie's numbers and at FC level he's 43 with the bat and 27 with the ball. Even with just the bat he's going better than Harris and Bancroft at FC level, they open so it's a bit different but still, compelling numbers .
If comparing Hardie and Green’s fc numbers you have to remember that Green has his test matches dragging them down (even though his test results for an all rounder are very impressive). Green was averaging over 50 at shield level before his test debut.

It’s where I find the whole “Bancroft has earned his place” argument interesting. Because realistically if Smith opens it’s not because they deem him the best candidate necessarily (although I think he probably is), it’s because they want Green. Green’s record and performances are far more impressive than Bancroft’s.

If comparing Hardie and Green’s fc numbers you have to remember that Green has his test matches dragging them down (even though his test results for an all rounder are very impressive). Green was averaging over 50 at shield level before his test debut.

It’s where I find the whole “Bancroft has earned his place” argument interesting. Because realistically if Smith opens it’s not because they deem him the best candidate necessarily (although I think he probably is), it’s because they want Green. Green’s record and performances are far more impressive than Bancroft’s.

Spot on, it's a way of shoehorning Green into the team and I agree with it FWIW, Marsh has thrown a very handy and enjoyable spanner in the works.

Bancroft's papers well and truly stamped
I wonder how this will impact his game gor WA now. He now no longer has the drive or incentive to make as much runs as possible. I wish he doesn’t take his foot off the pedal and just starts making runs for just as a **** you to the selectors. Hopefully he does a klinger/voges and just pile the runs on

Back