Test AUSTRALIA v SOUTH AFRICA Third Test. Jan 4-8: SCG, 10.30am AEDT

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee I would of loved seeing Morris have a crack today. Imagine if Morris had taken a 7 for today, to get Aust the win....definitely would of pipped Warner for the MOTS gong....surely?

Warne types comes once in a century. Lyon is as good as we are going to get, especially trying to bowl spin in Australia. He's more your regular top bowler, like MaGill was, not a freak like Warne. Done well to find a spinner here, and off-spinner at that on our graveyard tracks for those types, that can take 460 wickets, at more than 2 wickets an innings. One of only 4 bowlers in history to take 100 wickets in all 4 innings. People will only appreciate how good Lyon is once we don't have him. When he is replaced by a run of the mill average spinner.
My point was, Lyon was "discovered" as a groundsman at Adelaide Oval who bowled in the nets and eventually made his way into the SA Sheffield Shield team. He developed his craft bowling hundreds upon hundreds of overs, hundreds of balls in the same area, until getting his opportunity in the Test team. This will not happen again as any decent young bowler is drafted into the BBL where he learns to bowl 4 overs at a time, each ball different to the one before. Watching Agar bowl should hammer this home to people, but probably won't. Developing spinners need bowling, and plenty of it if they are to be any good.

Last edited:

Warner MOTS the most baffling thing about this summer, was hoping he'd retire after this test but looks like he'll keep on going, hope he does well in India and England, but not too confident he will.

If you are giving Agar a spell you may as well just shake hands
Warne types comes once in a century. Lyon is as good as we are going to get, especially trying to bowl spin in Australia. He's more your regular top bowler, like MaGill was, not a freak like Warne. Done well to find a spinner here, and off-spinner at that on our graveyard tracks for those types, that can take 460 wickets, at more than 2 wickets an innings. One of only 4 bowlers in history to take 100 wickets in all 4 innings. People will only appreciate how good Lyon is once we don't have him. When he is replaced by a run of the mill average spinner.
Warne comes once in history

My point was, Lyon was "discovered" as a groundsman at Adelaide Oval who bowled in the nets and eventually made his way into the SA Sheffield Shield team. He developed his craft bowling hundreds upon hundreds of overs, hundreds of balls in the same area, until getting his opportunity in the Test team. This will not happen again as any decent you bowler is drafted into the BBL where he learns to bowl 4 overs at a time, each ball different to the one before. Watching Agar bowl should hammer this home to people, but probably won't. Developing spinners need bowling, and plenty of it if they are to be any good.
Maybe not the same route but there will always be players that come from no where.

Gee I would of loved seeing Morris have a crack today. Imagine if Morris had taken a 7 for today, to get Aust the win....definitely would of pipped Warner for the MOTS gong....surely?
I wouldn't be so sure, the decision appears to have been made a while ago. Maybe before the series started

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

The onfield umpires must make a soft call regardless of whether they have any idea before they refer it. Do you want a random whim last minute, or careful analysis deciding the decision.

If you don’t understand the rules, feel free to bow out.
The look and look and look for these query catches mean that the analysis comes back as no idea really. Which biases in favour of batsmen. If there is soft signal then it should only be overruled by clear evidence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My point was, Lyon was "discovered" as a groundsman at Adelaide Oval who bowled in the nets and eventually made his way into the SA Sheffield Shield team. He developed his craft bowling hundreds upon hundreds of overs, hundreds of balls in the same area, until getting his opportunity in the Test team. This will not happen again as any decent you bowler is drafted into the BBL where he learns to bowl 4 overs at a time, each ball different to the one before. Watching Agar bowl should hammer this home to people, but probably won't. Developing spinners need bowling, and plenty of it if they are to be any good.
You're missing the bit where his first professional cricket was a T20 series where he led the wicket takers. Only after that did he play two or three shield games before they took a punt in him in Sri Lanka.

Nathan Lyon Sydney test match figures: 55 overs 2/120. Including their Jack.

Our number one spinner.

How long are we going to persist with this “throw enough mud eventually some will stick” approach with this bloke?

Nathan Lyon Sydney test match figures: 55 overs 2/120. Including their Jack.

Our number one spinner.

How long are we going to persist with this “throw enough mud eventually some will stick” approach with this bloke?
Lyon's main attribute is his bounce, not his turn. This pitch had no bounce and there hasn't been bounce in Sydney for a very long time.

It was never going to be Lyon's day, let alone test

It is a tough craft to be a spinner, especially in Australia.
Fans in particular have little tolerance or patience here of the theatre variety type fans that the threads seems to have a lot of.
'You will find a Yardley, May or Lyon maybe once a decade or generation but there will be times there no match winning off spinners found unless the pitch itself turns like a spinning top for anyone. Leg spinners even more rare like Warne or MacGill. Be lucky to see anything like them in terms of ability in our lifetime. O'Keefe, Robertson and Hauritz is probably what you should normally expect.
For anyone who knows the next generation is there any spinners coming through who look genuinely above average? Murphy & Kuhnemann the main two to watch? Man the things I would do for a leggy, I’m so bloody spewing I was too young to appreciate Warney, also staggeringly hard to believe it’s been 16 years since he retired.

For anyone who knows the next generation is there any spinners coming through who look genuinely above average? Murphy & Kuhnemann the main two to watch? Man the things I would do for a leggy, I’m so bloody spewing I was too young to appreciate Warney, also staggeringly hard to believe it’s been 16 years since he retired.
We gave one a go for four games recently. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to take the 460 wickets required to knock Lyon off as our best spinner. Lyon is head and shoulders above every other spinner to play for Australia for the last decade or so. Nobody comes close to his 115 matches and 460 wickets......

Incorrect, best leggie in the country
Swepson is still our best leggie even though I don't rate him particularly highly. Pope can't even get a game for the Redbacks this season, let that sink in. He's been playing grade cricket for Kensington. Big call to go from playing against Tea Tree Gully and East Torrens to India in India.

Last edited:
Swepson is still our best leggie even though I don't rate him particularly highly. Pope can't even get a game for the Redbacks this season, let that sink in. He's been playing grade cricket for Kensington. Big call to go from playing against Tea Tree Gully and East Torrens to India in India.
We're just getting some games into Manenti in preparation for when Pope is called up for Australia

Back