The Stadium!

What kind of stadium do you want?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Local business leaders have urged the state government to rethink it's current plans for the stadium as several crossbenches indicate they are going to vote it down. I think they want the government to seriously look at stadium 02 or at an alternative plan,it's going to be a very interesting 6 months ahead for the stadium for sure.
Where did you read this?

I'm not sure why the Government is so against the Regatta Point proposal. Solves a lot of problems with the RSL/Goods Shed/Aboriginal park and allows them to sell off the rest of Mac Point to developers to offset the cost of the stadium.

They could probably twist the new pro-jobs Labor Party's arm to support the proposal as a major project and abandon the POSS process that is slowing everything down.

I'm not sure why the Government is so against the Regatta Point proposal. Solves a lot of problems with the RSL/Goods Shed/Aboriginal park and allows them to sell off the rest of Mac Point to developers to offset the cost of the stadium.

They could probably twist the new pro-jobs Labor Party's arm to support the proposal as a major project and abandon the POSS process that is slowing everything down.
From the Macquarie Point Development Corporation site:

“The Macquarie Point Development Corporation is a Tasmanian Government Agency and Statutory Authority that was established through the Macquarie Point Development Corporation Act 2012 and is responsible for the remediation, redevelopment and transition of Mac Point into a vibrant mixed-use precinct.”

Based on this, I’d say they are funding and indirectly running all developments on the site through MPDC, so they aren’t keen to hand the reigns over to private interests. In the MP precinct master plan, they intend to have apartments and some shops round at Regatta Point (where Coleman plans to build his stadium). There’s also room for the reconciliation park with the government-led design, even if the size of it is downscaled from the original plans.

The POSS process isn’t slowing the project down as much as you’d think. The timeline from the stadium business case, which was developed before the POSS process was even initiated, shows that the project is still relatively up-to-date with key milestones. Construction was never supposed to commence until 2025 anyway. I think this is why Nic Street’s comments on the progress (from my previous post) still seemed fairly optimistic about timelines being met. Things will become a lot clearer later in the year when the final designs and costings are released to the public.

Winter said in the Mercury this morning that it needs to be “viable on that site and I don’t think it will be”. Well what if it is? I dare say Labor will support it under those circumstances because he wants his team to distance themselves from the negative and destructive politics that is associated with the Greens.

Attachments

• IMG_0072.jpeg
    IMG_0072.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 9

Regatta point is a massive property speculation.
The stadium will cost more to build out over the water & I would not expect the many pipe dreams to come true with 2.0. Expensive promises will not be fulfilled, 2.0 is 100% distraction.
If 2.0 moved forward it too would be subject to the POSS process, in that case it would be slower. As you describe it the land at Mac Point would be used for other things (expensive flats is where the money is and that is what the developers want to get their hands on).

Stadium 2.0 sounds great......

sounds is a key word there. It is unproven and expensive. Money has to come from somewhere. Sounds like a proposal that tries to please everyone(ala, doesn't cost much public funds, has houses and the like) but is unlikely to be feasible and probably close the government more.

I do laugh at the goods shed. It is a bloody shed. It barely resembles the original shed.

Nothing about it says that it should hang around for future generations. oh well, these things often end up on fire....

Stadium 2.0 sounds great......

sounds is a key word there. It is unproven and expensive. Money has to come from somewhere. Sounds like a proposal that tries to please everyone(ala, doesn't cost much public funds, has houses and the like) but is unlikely to be feasible and probably close the government more.

I do laugh at the goods shed. It is a bloody shed. It barely resembles the original shed.

Nothing about it says that it should hang around for future generations. oh well, these things often end up on fire....
2.0 team claimed that government funding would be capped and they had financiers lined up who had made written commitments. It’s still a risk though. Everyone has written off the government proposal, let’s just wait and see what the final designs and costings are first.

Fire or wrecking ball for the Goods Shed - would be happy with either if it cannot be relocated. 200k people supporting the Devils and probably a dozen supporting that crappy shed. Can’t have that standing in the way of progress.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is massive change of heart by Labor and significantly increases the chance's of the stadium going ahead.
Not that big of a change. It's just now they are saying the behind close doors things out in the public.

Not that big of a change. It's just now they are saying the behind close doors things out in the public.
Absolutely!

As a politically engaged individual, I knew that two major parties want the stadium. The fight is over who get to cut the cord when it opens!

Off to Tasmania reddit sub to wipe in the tears of misguided but well intentioned souls.

I'm a Sydneysider and I would be so happy for Tasmanians when they finally get this important milestone in their proud history!

It's the Greens, independents and very few in Labor who will continue to whinge about this. Labor wants infrastructure program like any major party!

Let me give you a personal anecdote.

I'm a Westie in Sydney. When the new Parramatta stadium was being built over a two year period, I was so angry about the plan. The Liberal govt at the time was doing funny business with Sydney Football stadium and development of Parra was a way to mitigate the perception that the Libs are for the upper end of town

I drive past the stadium everyday so those two years added significant time to travel. Absolutely hated the waste of money.

Now the stadium is completed and I attended the Parra Eels game. You could feel the pride and wonder at this modern stadium reverberating in the community! All the controversy, hate and handwriggling are long forgotten.

Hobart stadium will be bigger and better than the Parra stadium. It will be an immense source of pride for all Tasmanians!

Back