What kind of stadium do you want?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
#TeamTurboChooks
Hey, I thought we needed a thread to discuss all things around the Hobart Macquarie Point stadium! What should it be called (e.g. the devil's den), its design, capacity and what amenities/carpark/railway/corporate facilities it needs to succeed.

Feel free to discuss all things stadium related below! :thumbsu: (Non-Tasmanian supporters who are anti-stadium should probably just stick to the mainboard, plenty of threads there to argue against our existence in)

Last edited:

The beauty of the proposed location of stadium will be it's accessibility.
Once you're in the city it's 10-15 minute walk to stadium at best. If your staying in one of the hotels on waterfront it's literally on your doorstep.
The more I start to think about stadium the more excited I get about it.
Gonna be awesome.

I say go all out, spend big, do it once! Do it right. It will be a great thing for our state for a long time. Roof, retractable seats, and to keep it under budget keep the seating capacity down to about 23k.
I reckon get closer to 30k, tourism dollars for visiting fans.

Tasmanians are a hardy lot so the cold wouldn't be an issue, but I would prefer a roof to keep the wind at bay.

I'm more worried about the limited seating to be fair. Everyone has seen what a success the JackJumpers have been and the only way you can get tickets to watch them at MyState Bank Arena is to be a season member. I don't know if it's possible but I would love it if they built the stadium so it could be easily expanded in the future if needed.

Last edited:
Stadium needs to be 30k, what is the point of 23k, a mere 3k on Bellerive capacity?
Retractable roof would be good, more options for other events and more comfy for our less hardy mainland brethren.
Don't really care about any other design stuff, just hope they sort out the transport options - as well know getting in and out of town is a pain in the butt.

Do they have a habit of delivering major infrastructure projects on time and within budget in Tasmania?

What's the traffic like around the area where this stadium is being proposed?

Are there enough major roads to carry the traffic after a game or will there be bottlenecks?

Last edited:
Do they have a habit of delivering major infrastructure projects on time and within budget in Tasmania?

What's the traffic like around the area where this stadium is being proposed?

Are there enough major roads to carry the traffic after a game or will there be bottlnecks?
D1EA69DE-6B58-43B1-8AC7-E58432C17F83.jpeg
P is Mac Point. CBD directly to the right. Two roads directly below Mac Point go to the bridge across the river and to the Northern suburbs.

I don’t think they’ll want people driving to the game as parking will be limited. There will be more announcements re. public transport infrastructure I think. There’s also a possibility they will get the rail back up and running and it runs directly past the would be stadium, and that would carry a ton of people from the northern suburbs.

We already have a ferry that delivers people from the Eastern Shore to the CBD and you’d think they’d have a ferry terminal outside the stadium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I say go all out, spend big, do it once! Do it right. It will be a great thing for our state for a long time. Roof, retractable seats, and to keep it under budget keep the seating capacity down to about 23k.
If you are going to do it right & do it once, is 23k capacity too low? I know Hobart isn’t a massive city, but that’s less than alphabet stadium.

Either way what ever is built needs to be easily expanded

If you are going to do it right & do it once, is 23k capacity too low? I know Hobart isn’t a massive city, but that’s less than alphabet stadium.

Either way what ever is built needs to be easily expanded
Hard to say, I would leave that to the experts. I think its better to have 100% filled stadiums for every single game and tickets being in demand than only 80% filled.

How long would it take to build this stadium? If we come into the comp in 2028, surely it will be ready, right? Wouldn't think it would take 5 years considering how quickly it could be fast tracked. It's going to be so exciting seeing the progress on it as it gets built.

Hard to say, I would leave that to the experts. I think its better to have 100% filled stadiums for every single game and tickets being in demand than only 80% filled.

How long would it take to build this stadium? If we come into the comp in 2028, surely it will be ready, right? Wouldn't think it would take 5 years considering how quickly it could be fast tracked. It's going to be so exciting seeing the progress on it as it gets built.
100% empty look bad, but that makes it smaller than Gold Coast Heritage Stadium. You also don’t want a situation like WA had where when it was Subiaco, there was no point traveling here to Perth, you would struggle to get a ticket & West Australian living here wanting to go to the occasional match was very hard. Compared to now with Optus it’s incredibly simple.

It does raise my eyebrows a bit it’s a $750 million project for 22k, I know it’s the entire area getting redone, but to a degree so was Optus which was $1.6 billion including over 300 million of public transport infrastructure, value for money wise it seems low to me, but Tasmanians will be a better judge

It'll take longer than 5 years. Just the planning and permits will take 2 years from now - building a residential custom home takes roughly 9 months. It's also hard to fast track a build, concrete needs to set and cure before you can continue, it takes time.

23k is in the small end. In Melb AAMI Park has 30k capacity and its small and snug around a soccer field. 23k around a football field everyone will be down low on the ground floor deck - I can't see how they they get a roof on that as the roof will be as high as Docklands, but docklands has 3 steep decks

It'll take longer than 5 years. Just the planning and permits will take 2 years from now - building a residential custom home takes roughly 9 months. It's also hard to fast track a build, concrete needs to set and cure before you can continue, it takes time.

23k is in the small end. In Melb AAMI Park has 30k capacity and its small and snug around a soccer field. 23k around a football field everyone will be down low on the ground floor deck - I can't see how they they get a roof on that as the roof will be as high as Docklands, but docklands has 3 steep decks
Optus stadium was 3 years from first concrete being poured to finished. Hopefully they can have the design, permits etc done in 12 months and it under way by mid next year.

Optus stadium was 3 years from first concrete being poured to finished. Hopefully they can have the design, permits etc done in 12 months and it under way by mid next year.
It did take 3 years, but it also took 12 months to get the site ready for the first pour of concrete. So add 6-12mths on build times.

Design, permits, pre site works and then build, 5 years min.

The site has mostly been all pulled down ready for construction to start for awhile now
it’s not going to be a high roof and it won’t be retractable I’ve heard complaints about cricket not being able to be played under the roof

Attachments

• D9D13339-1898-4D59-9FBC-66F2BA9A55F8.jpeg
    D9D13339-1898-4D59-9FBC-66F2BA9A55F8.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 58
  • D84F7F60-1001-42A5-8F2D-60778794EF35.jpeg
    D84F7F60-1001-42A5-8F2D-60778794EF35.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 56
  • FD9C738B-3DB7-495A-8BC0-A32248AC2FD3.jpeg
    FD9C738B-3DB7-495A-8BC0-A32248AC2FD3.jpeg
    754.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 78752847-C716-48B9-ACC2-F307D5F39304.jpeg
    78752847-C716-48B9-ACC2-F307D5F39304.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 55
The site has mostly been all pulled down ready for construction to start for awhile now
it’s not going to be a high roof and it won’t be retractable I’ve heard complaints about cricket not being able to be played under the roof

Another ground that'll be built on an old railyards. (The Dome was too.)

Surely all but test cricket will be able to be played there...?

And Cricket Tas/Aus get an opinion when they chip in for the stadium ;)

It's not anywhere near ready for construction. After plans and permits it has to be completely cleared, levelled, many tests, plumbing needs to be done and a raft of things before concrete is poured..

Back