The Stadium!

What kind of stadium do you want?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again though, it's not a valid suggestion when it breaches the agreement between the AFL and state government. Might as well say "we can cut costs by paying with Monopoly money!"

Also, rather peculiar to use Melbourne's league-worst situation as an aspirational example, considering how desperate they are to move to Caulfield and set up something practically identical to the specifications laid out for Tasmania's training facilities.

I thought hawthorn should have considered Caulfield when it was up for sale

If they're going to have another gather round, they'll let all states bid on it. So it'll still cost Tas a sizable chunk. (especially as they'll make less money out of it than other states would)

Or do you think the AFL is suddenly going to stop caring about money?
Do you think the AFL is suddenly going to stop caring about access to venues? The major stadiums in other states are likely, or guaranteed to be, unavailable in early March when the 24-game season starts.

Even if the AFL wish to persist with this year's Opening Round idea of 4 games in the northern states on the Vic/Tas Labour Day weekend, there's still another 5 games they can play in Tasmania (without using up one of any club's 11 regular home games).

Do you think the AFL is suddenly going to stop caring about access to venues? The major stadiums in other states are likely, or guaranteed to be, unavailable in early March when the 24-game season starts.

Even if the AFL wish to persist with this year's Opening Round idea of 4 games in the northern states on the Vic/Tas Labour Day weekend, there's still another 5 games they can play in Tasmania (without using up one of any club's 11 regular home games).

and why will Tas venues be available when other states wont be?

and why will Tas venues be available when other states wont be?
A good question if you assume the AFL are idiots who wouldn't think to make March availability a clause of the Ground Occupancy Agreement.

That aside, if it's going to be booked with concerts right up until late March a la Marvel, then I guess it won't need extra AFL games to justify the $715m price tag.

The whole 35 seats for the Tasmanian parliament have been decided following the election. The Jackie Lambie party was one of the big winners with 3 seats and one in Andrew Jenner that has openly said he is not opposed to the stadium. Another stadium supporter is independent David Obyrne but the government will have to do a deal with two other members that are opposed to the stadium to form government.

It doesn't have to replace the SA Gather Round. The season will extend to 24 games per team upon (or perhaps even before) Tasmania's inclusion, which means an extra round for the AFL to do whatever they want.

With the new stadium at Macquarie Point and a redeveloped York Park, Tasmania would suddenly be an attractive option to launch the season in early March when the MCG and Marvel are unavailable (as was the case this year).
Yep half round. Tassie hawks saints north to feature. Carlton Richmond Essendon have big followings there too

The whole 35 seats for the Tasmanian parliament have been decided following the election. The Jackie Lambie party was one of the big winners with 3 seats and one in Andrew Jenner that has openly said he is not opposed to the stadium. Another stadium supporter is independent David Obyrne but the government will have to do a deal with two other members that are opposed to the stadium to form government.

Politician basing everything on the stadium. Rather than just the actual vote on the stadium. That shouldn’t be how it works

They don't have to do deals on every single policy before they can govern, it's just a guarantee of confidence. The stadium vote is a separate issue that will happen later.

They don't have to do deals on every single policy before they can govern, it's just a guarantee of confidence. The stadium vote is a separate issue that will happen later
I think the stadium would be discussed. I thought they would want sometime of commitment on it otherwise they would walk away.

I think the stadium would be discussed. I thought they would want sometime of commitment on it otherwise they would walk away.
They don't really need a commitment from the independents or JLN regarding the stadium. It would be weird to expect them to make one considering the PoSS process is still happening and all the information isn't out there yet. I think JLN and whoever else does a deal will be allowed to vote however they like on specific policies.

I don't think it needs a full roof but one that covers pretty much all of the seats similar to Optus.

I reckon 30-35k stadium with the ability to upgrade it easily to 40-45k would be the best option.

I don't think it needs a full roof but one that covers pretty much all of the seats similar to Optus.

I reckon 30-35k stadium with the ability to upgrade it easily to 40-45k would be the best option.
The plan is to have a fixed roof that is a lot cheaper than a Retractable Roof and a capacity of 23,000 that can later be increased to 40,000 if required.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a passionate sports fan that fully supports the team, but is anti stadium.
I dont think he is definitely anti-stadium. Since he openly came out as running for Labor leader, he has brushed away questions on the stadium. When asked directly he just they need to figure if the stadium will even fit on the site first. Which is an interesting thing to say if you are anti-stadium. Why would it matter if it fits or not? My guess is he will keep dodging the question on the stadium and say he will wait until more information comes from the PoSS.

Today he said "As I said when I first put my hand up, a Labor Party I lead will stand first and foremost for creating and maintaining good, well paid, safe and secure jobs to help Tasmanian families, and the Tasmanian economy"

So he is a jobs and economy man. If the stadium proves to be a good for jobs and the economy during the PoSS process, I dont think he will be the kind of leader to kill it.

In other news, JLN and Liberals have an agreement. JLN can vote how they like on issues not related to confidence and supply, but they have to give the Liberals 24 hours notice that they will vote against them on an issue, and give the government time to negotiate with them before they do. This means we are an okay chance to get JLN to vote through the stadium anyway. Which leaves just David O'Byrne to do the same and it passes through without even having to worry about Labor or Greens.

In other news, JLN and Liberals have an agreement. JLN can vote how they like on issues not related to confidence and supply, but they have to give the Liberals 24 hours notice that they will vote against them on an issue, and give the government time to negotiate with them before they do. This means we are an okay chance to get JLN to vote through the stadium anyway. Which leaves just David O'Byrne to do the same and it passes through without even having to worry about Labor or Greens.
The Braddon Independent, Craig Garland, is a former footballer as well (played for the Burnie Tigers back in the day). Potentially, anti-stadium since he’s from the North West; however, being a footy person may mean that he is open to negotiation as well - certainly more chance than Kristie Johnston.

I dont think he is definitely anti-stadium. Since he openly came out as running for Labor leader, he has brushed away questions on the stadium. When asked directly he just they need to figure if the stadium will even fit on the site first. Which is an interesting thing to say if you are anti-stadium. Why would it matter if it fits or not? My guess is he will keep dodging the question on the stadium and say he will wait until more information comes from the PoSS.

Today he said "As I said when I first put my hand up, a Labor Party I lead will stand first and foremost for creating and maintaining good, well paid, safe and secure jobs to help Tasmanian families, and the Tasmanian economy"

So he is a jobs and economy man. If the stadium proves to be a good for jobs and the economy during the PoSS process, I dont think he will be the kind of leader to kill it.
Dean Winter seems to be a more pragmatic sort of politician than his predecessor.

Without getting too far ahead of things but I think he has potential to be a decent Premier.

Interesting times ahead in Tassie politics for sure.

🤞🤞

I say this as a pragmatic politically informed individual, both Libs and Labor want the stadium. They are fighting over who gets to cut the ribbon when it opens.

I debated about this simple, pragmatic fact of life, with many Greens over the social media. I told them I had same reservation when the new Parramatta stadium was being built however, after the completion, there is overwhelming pride for the stadium in the community!

All these naysayers would be silent and long forgotten once it's built. I do agree that AFL should contribute more but Tasmania deserves its own team and stadium they could be proud of.

Dean Winter seems to be a more pragmatic sort of politician than his predecessor.

Without getting too far ahead of things but I think he has potential to be a decent Premier.

Interesting times ahead in Tassie politics for sure.
The Labor Party has lost the last three elections being too close in policy position to the Greens, and they're recognising this. Hence, why even though they're dominated by the left faction in Tassie they've picked a leader from the right and are talking a lot about creating jobs and opportunity.

I doubt they back the Libs' stadium plan, but I'm expecting them to either back in Mac Point 2.0 or a third alternative proposal. With a new rhetoric all about being "pro-jobs", there is very little chance now that they try and block the stadium entirely.

Back