The Stadium!

What kind of stadium do you want?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

A horseshoe shape like the new stadium up I'm Townsville would be nice. Have a hill from flank to flank behind some seats. Can still have it enclosed

The enclosed stadium they are building in Christchurch right now has a horse shoe design for the roof (solid roof over the southern end and sides, clear over the rest). I expect that is to support the growth of the grass with maximum light from the north, so some element of your horseshoe will be involved I guess.
Interestingly its 30,000 capacity for a bit less than $700m.
Not keen on the white steel tube look for the Mac Point site, it needs something a bit more special, but it does show what can be produced at around the right price.

Attachments

• Christchurch LOW_AERIAL_WIDE.jpg
    Christchurch LOW_AERIAL_WIDE.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 27

You are right. Or should I say you would be if the world of politics, government administration and business was a totally rational place with people acting with good faith and integrity. Unfortunately we are dealing with humans in positions of power and authority where the terms "good faith" and "integrity" have elastic meanings.
So we need to keep supporting and pushing and watching.
I think it will happen because both Libs & Labour will not want to be seen to kill it. They will play games of course, but being seen to be responsible for killing the team is not where any politician will want to go.
The design of the stadium is now critical. Has to be super good looking for the site and not stupidly expensive.
Oh no doubt friend when it comes to politics and such nothing is as clear cut or common sense as it needs to be. And for sure the design and costs need to be beneficial as it were for all parties.

Again I think it will get done, just stinks that their is a waiting game in the meantime.

I think the biggest negative against building the stadium is finding various ways for it to be operable for more than just 15-20 occasions per year.

That and Jacqie wanting to stick it up Jeremy's bum.
Good point. Is their a way to bring more revenue to the stadium via concerts and other sporting events, and similar?I know a lot of stadiums around the world do just that thing.

The enclosed stadium they are building in Christchurch right now has a horse shoe design for the roof (solid roof over the southern end and sides, clear over the rest). I expect that is to support the growth of the grass with maximum light from the north, so some element of your horseshoe will be involved I guess.
Interestingly its 30,000 capacity for a bit less than $700m.
Not keen on the white steel tube look for the Mac Point site, it needs something a bit more special, but it does show what can be produced at around the right price.

Yes having the potential ‘temporary stand’ or room for permanent expansion along a wing on an oval field, with the bulk of the seating and corporate facilities opposite would allow for a few things;

• excellent viewing angles when a concert stage is placed there
  • brilliant view of river or harbour through a transparent wall - potentially openable
  • hill style arrangement for all the jumping castle style things at aflw plunge pools at cricket
  • for rectangular sports events, field can be moved closer to main stand,
Which side would the tv cameras be on? We know from the old arctic park that if media folk have a bad experience, they exaggerate how ‘bad’ the place is

Good point. Is their a way to bring more revenue to the stadium via concerts and other sporting events, and similar?I know a lot of stadiums around the world do just that thing.

That's what would have to be part of any potential plan, like any stadium.

• Used for concerts/tours
  • Be open to having soccer, cricket, rugby, baseball, athletics etc..
  • Markets, shopping, festivals etc.
  • Maybe University and tech shows etc
  • Cafes/restaurant.
  • Leverage from the success of the NBL team somehow.
  • Have it open to the public as a tourist attraction for the first few years.

That's what would have to be part of any potential plan, like any stadium.

• Used for concerts/tours
  • Be open to having soccer, cricket, rugby, baseball, athletics etc..
  • Markets, shopping, festivals etc.
  • Maybe University and tech shows etc
  • Cafes/restaurant.
  • Leverage from the success of the NBL team somehow.
  • Have it open to the public as a tourist attraction for the first few years.
Jack jumpers having a one off home game there every season could be good. They'd fill it. I've been to Aus v USA at marvel before it was awesome.

Good point. Is there a way to bring more revenue to the stadium via concerts and other sporting events, and similar?I know a lot of stadiums around the world do just that thing.
This is why having the roof is key. Some people have advocated for the roof to be scrapped to minimise costs; however, that would reduce its capability of hosting certain events like major concerts, festivals etc. The state government has recently created a new body called ‘Stadiums Tasmania’, which will be in charge of all major stadia across the state. They will have a number of employees and be given a budget to try and attract new events.

This is why having the roof is key. Some people have advocated for the roof to be scrapped to minimise costs; however, that would reduce its capability of hosting certain events like major concerts, festivals etc. The state government has recently created a new body called ‘Stadiums Tasmania’, which will be in charge of all major stadia across the state. They will have a number of employees and be given a budget to try and attract new events.
The roof is critically essential!

There are some quality international bands/acts already in "early conversations" with the relevant parties. The interest in being the first to play/open the multipurpose infrastructure, is extremely strong. A couple surprised me, a couple didn't, one in particular, has strong business interests on the East Coast of Tas.

The roof is critically essential!

There are some quality international bands/acts already in "early conversations" with the relevant parties. The interest in being the first to play/open the multipurpose infrastructure, is extremely strong. A couple surprised me, a couple didn't, one in particular, has strong business interests on the East Coast of Tas.
The key will be having regular concerts, not just at the beginning and then interest significantly drops off after that.

I think the idea would be to have lots of function spaces to cater for different events. Marvel Stadium probably does this the best I've seen - I've had a work Christmas Party in the Victory Room, been to Darts, as well as the concerts and sport games.

I fully expect the AFL to be considering a Gather Round in Tassie, hosting the draft there, maybe the Brownlow (harder with GF travel but it's a short flight) and other ceremonies.

I really think having a good rectangular mode would be a draw card too. Obviously can't be hideously expensive but something like having the stands higher and temporary seating in front (like a more extensive version of what Optus Stadium has) gives them more chances of an A-League team as well as NRL/ Rugby/Socceroos/Matildas type games. Even better if it has the ability to be counted or upgraded for a future soccer World Cup too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just saying because many believe we will get interest early on to welcome the stadium and that will pretty much be it.
Knowing what I know, interest is very very strong. One of Australia's biggest employers wants to hold a conference in 2028/29 at the new infrastructure (apologies, but I cant remember what milestone they are celebrating), so we'd better get moving on it lol

Knowing what I know, interest is very very strong. One of Australia's biggest employers wants to hold a conference in 2028/29 at the new infrastructure (apologies, but I cant remember what milestone they are celebrating), so we'd better get moving on it lol
BHP?

I’m reading 70 million 60 from tas govt is earmarked for training facility

What about incorporating it with the roofed stadium, at least initially. Makes sense to train in match conditions ‘ you’d imagine numbers of away games also under docklands roof.

Training indoors especially in downtown Hobart might be much more attractive to prospective recruits too. And completely private for secret drills if required

I get that the oval may be unavailable occasionally due to events, but plenty of ovals in Hobart.

60 million? How much medical help, housing etc would that get Tasmania. Some return on investment too, unlike a training facility

Melbourne fc and Melbourne storm go OK with a facility in a stadium

I’m reading 70 million 60 from tas govt is earmarked for training facility

What about incorporating it with the roofed stadium, at least initially. Makes sense to train in match conditions ‘ you’d imagine numbers of away games also under docklands roof.

Training indoors especially in downtown Hobart might be much more attractive to prospective recruits too. And completely private for secret drills if required

I get that the oval may be unavailable occasionally due to events, but plenty of ovals in Hobart.

60 million? How much medical help, housing etc would that get Tasmania. Some return on investment too, unlike a training facility

Melbourne fc and Melbourne storm go OK with a facility in a stadium
Melbourne Storm surely don't train in the actual stadium? Dont they have a separate ground outside of it? According to google anyway but I know nothing about it. You can't really train in the stadium. It impacts the pitch, there isnt enough room, and you need other facilities apart from the ground too which would need to be built into the stadium and cost just as much.

Remember, there isn't just one team. It is an AFL, VFL, AFLW and probably VFLW teams as well as under 18s that will need training facilities. Zero chance that it can happen inside the stadium.

Melbourne Storm surely don't train in the actual stadium? Dont they have a separate ground outside of it? According to google anyway but I know nothing about it. You can't really train in the stadium. It impacts the pitch, there isnt enough room, and you need other facilities apart from the ground too which would need to be built into the stadium and cost just as much.

Remember, there isn't just one team. It is an AFL, VFL, AFLW and probably VFLW teams as well as under 18s that will need training facilities. Zero chance that it can happen inside the stadium.

Facilities. They do train in goschs paddock mainly. Anyway the vibe is the cost, and talk of compromising the stadium.
I made a suggestion to save money and provide an advantage

Facilities. They do train in goschs paddock mainly. Anyway the vibe is the cost, and talk of compromising the stadium.
I made a suggestion to save money and provide an advantage
Once again though, it's not a valid suggestion when it breaches the agreement between the AFL and state government. Might as well say "we can cut costs by paying with Monopoly money!"

Also, rather peculiar to use Melbourne's league-worst situation as an aspirational example, considering how desperate they are to move to Caulfield and set up something practically identical to the specifications laid out for Tasmania's training facilities.

The AFL could sweeten the deal without giving any more money by guaranteeing Gather Round in Tassie for the first few years of the stadium. That would bring in a shitload of money for the state.

SA is paying the AFL $80M for gather round. (not sure if that's 80M for 3 years or 80M per year for 3 years).

Unless Tas matches that, it would cost the AFL a considerable sum.

Also, the whole idea is to have it in one geographical area....So unless you're looking to screw Launceston over again, Tas probably can't meet the criteria.

SA is paying the AFL $80M for gather round. (not sure if that's 80M for 3 years or 80M per year for 3 years).

Unless Tas matches that, it would cost the AFL a considerable sum.

Also, the whole idea is to have it in one geographical area....So unless you're looking to screw Launceston over again, Tas probably can't meet the criteria.
It doesn't have to replace the SA Gather Round. The season will extend to 24 games per team upon (or perhaps even before) Tasmania's inclusion, which means an extra round for the AFL to do whatever they want.

With the new stadium at Macquarie Point and a redeveloped York Park, Tasmania would suddenly be an attractive option to launch the season in early March when the MCG and Marvel are unavailable (as was the case this year).

It doesn't have to replace the SA Gather Round. The season will extend to 24 games per team upon (or perhaps even before) Tasmania's inclusion, which means an extra round for the AFL to do whatever they want.

With the new stadium at Macquarie Point and a redeveloped York Park, Tasmania would suddenly be an attractive option to launch the season in early March when the MCG and Marvel are unavailable (as was the case this year).

If they're going to have another gather round, they'll let all states bid on it. So it'll still cost Tas a sizable chunk. (especially as they'll make less money out of it than other states would)

Or do you think the AFL is suddenly going to stop caring about money?

Back