Rumour The Selwoods

Remove this Banner Ad

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
Troy Selwood has been told that he will not get another contract at Brisbane and has been in contact with West Coast officials about furthering his career in Perth with brothers Scott and Adam.

The plan is with the three Selwood boys playing for the Eagles, when Joel's (recently signed) contract is up he will link up with them at West Coast, perhaps even sooner. How tempting would it be for him? I don't think he would be able to resist to be honest.

I am a friend of the family and played with both Joel and Scoot if you are wondering where this is coming from and have this on pretty good word, which I know means f**k all sometimes but just thought I'd let you guys know. I don't often start rumours let alone on other teams boards but feel this is worth sticking my neck out for.

Thoughts?

Troy Selwood has been told that he will not get another contract at Brisbane and has been in contact with West Coast officials about furthering his career in Perth with brothers Scott and Adam.

The plan is with the three Selwood boys playing for the Eagles, when Joel's (recently signed) contract is up he will link up with them at West Coast, perhaps even sooner. How tempting would it be for him? I don't think he would be able to resist to be honest.

I am a friend of the family and played with both Joel and Scoot if you are wondering where this is coming from and have this on pretty good word, which I know means f**k all sometimes but just thought I'd let you guys know. I don't often start rumours let alone on other teams boards but feel this is worth sticking my neck out for.

Thoughts?

How long was Joel's deal? 3 years. Thats a long time to wait and keep 3 Selwoods on the list, 2 of which are no good and not AFL standard, just to try and have a carrot to dangle at Joel in 3 years time. I wouldn't take Troy and i would move on Adam because if you are slow and can't kick you probably don't belong in the elite competition.

But we took Dalziell off Brisbane's hands when he probably wouldn't have got another contract up there. In fact not only did we take him we traded a 100 game KP player with elite agility, versatility and kicking skills who was in our best dozen players and who we had invested 7 years developing for Dalziell who is not even in our top 25 even though we have the weakest midfield in the comp and who Brisbane invested nothing in developing and were going to discard anyway. So it's possible we will take Troy. Maybe we can keep the tradition going and trade Josh Kennedy or Le Cras to Brisbane for him.

Thoughts?

Even though Troy would probably play most of the time at WAFL level, I'd love the idea of getting Joel to the club, as he's only 22? isn't he and fits in with the age group of the "new breed".

Thoughts?

It would be quite a game to watch having three Selwoods runnning onto the field. I'm not sure he's talented enough to warrant being drafted by the eagles or to even get a game ahead of some of the young eagles. I think he plays almost identical to Adam and Scott (tagger).

It would be a feel good story but quite unlikely I would feel.

Thoughts?
Concerned... Troy is not as good as Adam, and many people on here call for Adam's head week in, week out. Providing we get a decent skills coach it might be ok, especially if it ends up with a certain Joel...

Concerned... Troy is not as good as Adam, and many people on here call for Adam's head week in, week out. Providing we get a decent skills coach it might be ok, especially if it ends up with a certain Joel...

Perhaps it could be a great psychological ploy then goldy. Supporters would call for a Selwood's head, but the players wouldn't know which one! Keeps the supporters off the other player's backs and no one is scarred by the experience. Win Win.:thumbsu::D

How long was Joel's deal? 3 years. Thats a long time to wait and keep 3 Selwoods on the list, 2 of which are no good and not AFL standard, just to try and have a carrot to dangle at Joel in 3 years time. I wouldn't take Troy and i would move on Adam because if you are slow and can't kick you probably don't belong in the elite competition.

Good points but firstly, people can still be traded whilst under contract, particularly if they want out/the club wants them gone. Fev was contracted at Carlton.

I do agree that Troy wouldn't add a great deal to your side, but I think he is still AFL standard pretty comfortably.

He was never happy with the role that Leigh Matthews and then Voss had him playing, perhaps he could be something else for you guys?! I'm not sure.

I understand there will be skepticism about this but unfortunately I cannot offer much more then my word that I've been told it's already in the pipeline well and truly.

Perhaps it could be a great psychological ploy then goldy. Supporters would call for a Selwood's head, but the players wouldn't know which one! Keeps the supporters off the other player's backs and no one is scarred by the experience. Win Win.:thumbsu::D

It'd be a better ploy if Adam was a superstar.

Adam could just shine up his elbows and every time he gets suspended - comes back the following week in Troy's jumper.

But we took Dalziell off Brisbane's hands when he probably wouldn't have got another contract up there. In fact not only did we take him we traded a 100 game KP player with elite agility, versatility and kicking skills who was in our best dozen players and who we had invested 7 years developing for Dalziell who is not even in our top 25 even though we have the weakest midfield in the comp and who Brisbane invested nothing in developing and were going to discard anyway. So it's possible we will take Troy. Maybe we can keep the tradition going and trade Josh Kennedy or Le Cras to Brisbane for him.

:eek:Elite?

The only thing Staker was elite at was being inconsistent.

Amazing how your memory of a player fades so quickly.:cool:

It would be quite a game to watch having three Selwoods runnning onto the field. I'm not sure he's talented enough to warrant being drafted by the eagles or to even get a game ahead of some of the young eagles. I think he plays almost identical to Adam and Scott (tagger).

It would be a feel good story but quite unlikely I would feel.

Well with all three playing I'd suggest Juddy would be looking over his shoulder a fair bit.:D

Troy would be a depth player IMO, posibly a better tagger than Adam but not as attacking.

The biggest benefit in having him would be we could play Adam in defense where he is best suited IMO, Troy as the tagger and then release Scott as an attacking mid which I think he is showing great signs.

Scott IMO would be the better of the three and a much better attacking mid, has actually kicked a couple of nice goals lately as well.

It would mean McGinnity would be struggling to get a spot but if he can't improve his disposal that isn't a bad thing.

What a muppet comment, though not surprising. You obviously don't rate work ethic, tackling or running ability as required on the football field. Scooter's been in our top 5 players over the last 6 weeks, consistently beating opponents, and Adam has been an outstanding tagger for a couple of years - his job on GAJ prior to being taken out was fantastic, beating the player and making him cry like you.

While I agree with never wanting Dalziell or wanting to lose Staker, it's all wonderful in hindsight. Staker wanted to play midfield, and though he's been v.good, hasn't played midfield. Troy would likely offer more than Dalziell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hah ha. GOLD:D
It would be quite a game to watch having three Selwoods runnning into each other! I'm not sure he's talented enough to warrant being drafted by the eagles or to even get a game ahead of some of the young eagles. I think he plays almost identical to Adam and Scott (tagger).
efa...:cool:

:eek:Elite?

The only thing Staker was elite at was being inconsistent.

Amazing how your memory of a player fades so quickly.:cool:

He may have been flaky, mentally soft, drifted out of games too easily and not attacked contests in the way we would have liked but the fact remains that he did have elite agility and versatility for a 196cm player and elite kicking skills and we did spend 7 years developing him. He wasn't one of our turnover merchants. I think the fact we didn't get more out of Staker is one of the markers of how badly our club is struggling in terms of processes and coaching expertise. Good clubs, when they have a talented player who is metally flaky, find a way to develop them mentally and make good players out of them. If the raw materials are there a good club makes the most of it. A good club makes the most of everything it has. It's the badly run clubs who discard players like that and say "nah, it's too hard, lets just wait and hope we find someone who is the whole package so we don't have to actually show our worth by developing our resources and turning raw material into finished product. Lets just wait for a finished product to fall into our lap". That was an absolute howling stinker of a trade for us.

I wonder how many head high free kicks we would get?

What a muppet comment, though not surprising. You obviously don't rate work ethic, tackling or running ability as required on the football field. Scooter's been in our top 5 players over the last 6 weeks, consistently beating opponents, and Adam has been an outstanding tagger for a couple of years - his job on GAJ prior to being taken out was fantastic, beating the player and making him cry like you.

While I agree with never wanting Dalziell or wanting to lose Staker, it's all wonderful in hindsight. Staker wanted to play midfield, and though he's been v.good, hasn't played midfield. Troy would likely offer more than Dalziell.

I wasn't talking about Scott. I would keep him. It's Adam and troy who are not AFL standard. Adam an outstanding tagger - Pfffft. Come off it. he gets played there because there is nowhere else he can play and because they would rather he was chasing somebody else than have the ball in his hands given his absolutely woeful disposal. He is not elite tagger. Not even close. You want to see a good tagger have a look at Rawlings, Ling, Cornes, Kirk in their prime. Selwood is not in their class. Nowhere near it.

Staker wasn't just a stinker in hindsight, it was an easily spotted stinker at the time. If Staker had to go then so be it but get something worthwhile for him that is equal to what we are trading out. Not a slow one, paced, injury prone turnover merchant who Brisbane had invested all of 10 games in and who was not going to get another contract up there anyway and could have been claimed in the PSD.

He may have been flaky, mentally soft, drifted out of games too easily and not attacked contests in the way we would have liked but the fact remains that he did have elite agility and versatility for a 196cm player and elite kicking skills and we did spend 7 years developing him. He wasn't one of our turnover merchants. I think the fact we didn't get more out of Staker is one of the markers of how badly our club is struggling in terms of processes and coaching expertise. Good clubs, when they have a talented player who is metally flaky, find a way to develop them mentally and make good players out of them. If the raw materials are there a good club makes the most of it. A good club makes the most of everything it has. It's the badly run clubs who discard players like that and say "nah, it's too hard, lets just wait and hope we find someone who is the whole package so we don't have to actually show our worth by developing our resources and turning raw material into finished product. Lets just wait for a finished product to fall into our lap". That was an absolute howling stinker of a trade for us.

Staker arrives at the Lions in 2010 after playing 110 games in the past seven seasons with West Coast. He appeared in just six games with the Eagles last season, averaging his fewest disposals since 2004 and recording the lowest disposal efficiency of his career. He has been used all over the ground across his career with his role changing in nearly every season that he was at the Eagles.

Yup - it was really elite last year.

And of course, its the clubs fault for not trying for another year to get him to perform consistently.

You don't half write some bollox, GM.

We can carry a spud for a few years with the hope/promise of getting a genuine superstar.

We've been carrying at least a dozen spuds for the last several years with nothing except a wooden spoon in return.

Staker arrives at the Lions in 2010 after playing 110 games in the past seven seasons with West Coast. He appeared in just six games with the Eagles last season, averaging his fewest disposals since 2004 and recording the lowest disposal efficiency of his career. He has been used all over the ground across his career with his role changing in nearly every season that he was at the Eagles.

Yup - it was really elite last year.

And of course, its the clubs fault for not trying for another year to get him to perform consistently.

You don't half write some bollox, GM.

He was injured for most of his last year at the club. He wasn't dropped. And you don't measure a KP players input by disposals. How the hell is that relevent? And the fact that he was used all over the ground is not his fault or choice, it's Worsfold's and it is arguably the single biggest reason as to why he didn't come good for us. He was mentally able to deal with being played in a different role every week.

How has he gone this year? Best year in the AFL. What does that tell you about our woeful attempts to settle and develop him.
How has Dalziell gone? Has he added something? Has he been able to cement a spot in the club with the worst midfield in the comp? No. What does that tell you?

The fact that the simpletons who run our club have as little ability to think laterally and see beyond the obvious as you is why we are we are. Whats your strategy, mate? If a young player you have invested years in and elite attributes has his fewest possesions in a season you just throw them away no matter what else they have going for them?

The word elite and Staker should never be used in the same sentence.

At time brilliant but mostly sevicable at best what Staker is.

End of discussion.

. In fact not only did we take him we traded a 100 game KP player with elite agility, versatility and kicking skills who was in our best dozen players and who we had invested 7 years developing for Dalziell .

LOL, funniest thing i've read on here for a while.

Good to see someone is providing a laugh in this tough season :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back