Analysis The Rebuilds Of Hawthorn and Geelong and their Future Prospects

Who has the better prospects?

• Geelong

• Hawthorn

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

That sucks for him, he's been pretty much injured since the trade no?

Edit apparently played a bit last year.
He’s had a couple of concussions and a couple of mysterious disappearing acts where he’s not trained for a couple of weeks and not been on the injury list.

Looks like a pretty regulation VFL player when he’s fit, but his time is running out.

He’s had a couple of concussions and a couple of mysterious disappearing acts where he’s not trained for a couple of weeks and not been on the injury list.

Looks like a pretty regulation VFL player when he’s fit, but his time is running out.

That's a shame I wanted him to do well. One day clubs will learn not to take anyone Geelong willingly offers.

That's a shame I wanted him to do well. One day clubs will learn not to take anyone Geelong willingly offers.

You guys can pick the eyes out of late picks but your history at the first round has been pretty ordinary. To be fair they have mainly been late first rounders but can't really recall any of them coming on apart from Jordan Clark who is now at Freo and Holmes who looks a gun.

You guys can pick the eyes out of late picks but your history at the first round has been pretty ordinary. To be fair they have mainly been late first rounders but can't really recall any of them coming on apart from Jordan Clark who is now at Freo and Holmes who looks a gun.

Yep, lots of first round misses. It's fortunate we klll it at the rookie draft.

Yep, lots of first round misses. It's fortunate we klll it at the rookie draft.

I rated Clark in his underage year. Like the kid. Can't say I've been overly impressed so far at AFL level but maybe he's going to be a slow burn given he's on the smaller side of a midfielder these days.

I rated Clark in his underage year. Like the kid. Can't say I've been overly impressed so far at AFL level but maybe he's going to be a slow burn given he's on the smaller side of a midfielder these days.
He's just way too small for his playing style right now and hasn't had enough exposure at any level (AFL/VFL) since being drafted (injuries through 2023) to take strides forward yet. Another 20 games in the 1's and 20 in the 2's and he'll come on.

Anyway - really rate a number of Hawthorn's youngsters, think they've got a decent core of young players to work with.

Actually like seeing Mitchell get angry at Scrimshaw, though curious to hear what team rules he was breaking by hitting up CHF. If it's because it was Newcombe then I can see why :D
It was a 1on1 contest with Ginnivan and someone else plus Amon came in late. Plus it was 40 seconds left in the quarter or something and Hawthorn had already given up 3 goals to that point and needed to understand red time, cost a goal.

Like seeing him animated tho, shows a lot.

This year, although energy sapping right now, is what they actually needed. They need the infusion of talent at the pointy end of the draft, and they're going to get it.

Watson for mine looks like an extremely poor pick. His ceiling is Gryan Miers. I doubt he'll get there. Sanders, Windsor, O'Sullivan would all have been far better choices. High floors, higher ceilings.

A blue chip player in the top 3 is what they'll get this year. The rebuild will be fine.

CJ
Sicily
Lewis
Newcombe
Day
Nash
Moore
Weddle
McDonald

You can build around that core. Whether or not it will be good enough to consistently challenge for top 4 in 2-3 years is another question.
Watson was the best available talent and is going to be a star.

He has that aura about him, the confidence and swagger. He backs himself in, he has an extreme amount of elite qualities that will put him in good stead.

Lightning quick, agile, acceleration and deacceleration and ability to stop on a dime is freakishly good. Has a good leap, hasn’t shown it at afl level but his finishing is class, but getting the amount of shots he did early doors was promising, he’s creative and his pressure is good. Also versatile and has a good tank, all of these will be built on and he’ll make it. I guarantee it.

I was a little surprised to see Hawks winning the pole result but I’m not that familiar with Hawthorn’s young players. I figure they must be prettt well because Bruhn, Henry, Dempsey, Holmes, and De Konning look pretty established at AFL level with a few others making strong cameos or looking ready for a debut running around the VFL.

The whole premise of the thread is wrong and was made by someone prematurely writing Geelong off (we won a flag the next year). Geelong and Hawthorn are not at the same point, or relatively close to it, in terms of rebuilds. Geelong has remained a side in contention while Hawthorn are still down the bottom and rebuilding. That means that how the clubs approach their list build, their week-by-week selection policy and the young talent they have access to will be vastly different. If people think Hawthorn have better young talent, that shouldn't surprise anyone, because they've been down the bottom trying to get high-end young talent for years now. If Geelong's young talent is better, after one year outside the 8 and winning a flag in 2022, that's a pretty staggering indictment on Hawthorn's recruitment and development.

Geelong has made changes to its list as of late, blooding several young players to the point that they occupy key positions in the side, but it wouldn't be fair to say that they're rebuilding in the sense Hawthorn are. We still maintain a reliance on a lot of older players, and that will remain as long as we are in contention for finals.

Back