The Pharmacist who assisted Dank to talk to ASADA?

Remove this Banner Ad

I am yet to see anything which suggests to me that the information set out in the charge sheet is false. It's not fragmentary, and its not lacking in detail.

Until that happens, I don't need to go looking for phantoms, or make wild extrapolations on the meaning of timescale, or draw wild inferences from vanilla statements.

That's your department.

Didn't the AFL drop most charges?

Didn't the AFL drop most charges?

"Drop" is a bit imprecise.

I believe the most accurate description is that it was agreed in negotiation that in return for EFC accepting a nuclear penalty for governance that the drug related charges would be not considered or perhaps withdrawn in the disrepute finding.

Some may read more into it, but it's a moot point. The charges were most certainly not disproven, refuted or discredited. Not one word. There is no get out of jail free card on the ASADA investigation, which is what matters in the final analysis.

IMO that was a grave strategic error by Essendon. The short term gain was to not be seen to have been found guilty of the drug related aspects at that time. But lets be realistic. We all know what the penalty was for, and it wasn't for having a few lines missing from the org chart. In the longer term, that has potential to come back and bite the arse that insisted on it.

"Drop" is a bit imprecise.

I believe the most accurate description is that it was agreed in negotiation that in return for EFC accepting a nuclear penalty for governance that the drug related charges would be not considered or perhaps withdrawn in the disrepute finding.

Some may read more into it, but it's a moot point. The charges were most certainly not disproven, refuted or discredited. Not one word. There is no get out of jail free card on the ASADA investigation, which is what matters in the final analysis.

IMO that was a grave strategic error by Essendon. The short term gain was to not be seen to have been found guilty of the drug related aspects at that time. But lets be realistic. We all know what the penalty was for, and it wasn't for having a few lines missing from the org chart. In the longer term, that has potential to come back and bite the arse that insisted on it.
Were these charges even defended? According to Bomber Thompson he disagreed with the vast majority of it

So what point are you trying to make here? The earth shattering news that a person accused of wrongdoing says he didn't do it?

Hardly unusual in life, and even more common in the field of drugs in sport.
No, I'm suggesting the fact this was settled wasnt an admission of guilt, nor does it mean they didnt have a reasonable defense against charges

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon and the afl settled on far lesser charges than the original charges sheet. Looks like they were all rubbish since the AFL settled.

No, they agreed NOT to address the doping charges due to the fact it would/could influence the ongoing ASADA enquiry. Therefore, the language was altered to only address the governance issues to which Essendon accepted full guilt (hence the penalties). The doping charges - should there be any - will be addressed at a later time.

Essendon and the afl settled on far lesser charges than the original charges sheet. Looks like they were all rubbish since the AFL settled.

Charges like ! Mrs James been turfed for a year, for exactly what ? looking pretty and younger and injecting Essenjection

Really? That's what you think? You don't think the AFL didn't really want to address the doping charges because they didn't want to preempt ASADA's investigation concluding?

Really? That's what you think? You don't think the AFL didn't really want to address the doping charges because they didn't want to preempt ASADA's investigation concluding?

Its simpler than that.

The AFL and the other 17 Clubs wanted Essendon out of finals. Not really a big deal if that's for drug use, poor governance or being seen in public with bad hair. It's not an emotionally based process.

Achieving the goal of having a finals series without accused drug cheats playing in it, without (officially) making it for drugs was a no lose for the AFL. It decomplicates the situation going forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back