The 'Gabba (Brisbane Cricket Ground)

Remove this Banner Ad

When you look at a map of where the existing fields are, you can easily see which ones are central or not.

I’ve shown some of the rectangle fields too, since the A-League keeps calling for a boutique rectangle stadium in Brisbane.

IMG_8662.jpeg

IMG_8664.jpeg

The Showgrounds is the best located. Whilst it is adjacent to Exhibition Station, it is also within a 15min walk of Fortitude Valley Station, making it accessible from every line.

If Brisbane did retain a boutique oval stadium with about 20,000 capacity, I could foresee the Brisbane Heat moving their games away from the redeveloped Gabba. Even international cricket could move there from a larger Gabba.

And a boutique rectangle stadium would draw the Brisbane Roar and Queensland Reds away from Lang Park.

If the Lions are sole tenant at the Gabba, and the Broncos the sole tenant at Lang Park, it would call into the question the financial viability of the two stadiums.

So I can see the rationale for the current proposal to downgrade the capacity of the Showgrounds after the Lions move back to the new Gabba.

But it would be nice if the investment in a temporary boutique stadium could leave a lasting legacy. Perhaps the Dolphins will move to Lang Park permanently, and the Showgrounds would make a perfect rectangle boutique stadium for the Roar and Reds.

Last edited:
Thought i would revisit this thread after the recent announcement on the RNA.

The State Government $140 million temporary upgrade proposal for the RNA is not viable for Lions or Qld cricket.
With the state putting in only $45 million and the RNA now stating they will put in $15 million.
The balance of $90 million to be funded between the BCC which says they will only put in a token amount, Lions and Qld Cricket
Lions and Qld cricket don't have the funds to spend on the proposed project.

The artist impression below of the proposed RNA upgrade. No actual plans were provided.
The 3 grandstands are heritage listed with that old style long wood bench and wooden back.
Everything else is out in the open
Prime viewing for AFL is on the wings.
One side looks like it is 8-10 rows maximum between the 50-meter arcs.

I believe the State Government always wanted the Lions to play out of Carrara during The Gabba rebuild.
Lions and cricket repeatedly stated they are unwilling to go to Carrara.

With this only proposal, the Lions really need to move on and make plans to play at Carrara.
It is not ideal, but everything is set up for AFL at Carrara.
I won't go into all the pros and cons.

I am a 71-year-old Lions platinum member living on the north side of Brisbane.
For those that don't know Brisbane the South side is much closer to Carrara.
I would much prefer the extra travel of 50 minutes each way compared to The Gabba and enjoy better facilities as the Home Team.
The M1 to the Gold Coast can be a nightmare at times.
Yesterday at this time just under 2 hours to Carrara from the CBD. Just checked now it is 1 hour 20 minutes.
On average over the years i can travel to Carrara from the northside in 1 hour 20 minutes when we play the Suns.

I don't see the state Government changing their funding contribution.
They are copping enough flak from the opposition on The Gabba rebuild costs.

56e39b1c0fc656058665831091a03cc1

In all seriousness, the lions are a merged club, play 6 games at carrara and 5 at the mcg, for 3 years, might help them in the long run
This idea would be a bad outcome for the Lions (who are going through a boom period) and particularly, the Suns. Getting kids on the coast to follow the Suns has been a tough job considering how bad they’ve been. Now they’re finally making the right moves to set themselves up for a more successful period and you want to plonk the Lions down there for 4-5 years? Ridiculous!

I’m sure the Suns and AFL will be hellbent on ensuring that doesn’t happen. Despite the location and parking + public transport issues, even Brighton Homes Arena would be a better option than Carrara so the Lions can look to build stronger connections with the Springfield/Ipswich community, which has traditionally been rugby league dominated. That would help all stakeholders way more than potentially cannibalising any gains the Suns make over the next two years by having their bigger, older and more popular neighbour playing games in their city.

Last edited:
Why is the option of temporary seating on the north, east and southern sides of Allan Border Field to boost capacity to 25,000 not highly favoured? Surely that would cost less than the RNA $140m.

This idea would be a bad outcome for the Lions (who are going through a boom period) and particularly, the Suns. Getting kids on the coast to follow the Suns has been a tough job considering how bad they’ve been. Now they’re finally making the right moves to set themselves up for a more successful period and you want to plonk the Lions down there for 4-5 years? Ridiculous!

I’m sure the Suns and AFL will be hellbent on ensuring that doesn’t happen. Despite the location and parking + public transport issues, even Brighton Homes Arena would be a better option than Carrara so the Lions can look to build stronger connections with the Springfield/Ipswich community, which has traditionally been rugby league dominated. That would help all stakeholders way more than potentially cannibalising any gains the Suns make over the next two years by having their bigger, older and more popular neighbour playing games in their city.
There are no good venue outcomes for the Lions during the 4 seasons away from The Gabba.
From that point on for the next 30+ years, now that will be a different story.

I am not sure if you have ever been to Brighton Homes Arena (BHA).
Capacity 10,000 with a 600-seat grandstand that normal fans would have no access to for an AFL game.
Should the Lions be able to improve seating, which is unlikely as they don't have the funds, i suspect it will all be temporary.
So, almost every person will still be on seats or grass without cover.

Travel times:
Brisbane CBD (Queen Street) to Brighton Homes Arena is 34 km. Google maps time now 35 minutes. Average about 45 minutes
Brisbane CBD (Queen Street) to Carrara Stadium is 73 km so a fair bit longer. Google maps time now 55 minutes. But average is 65 minutes.
Both take longer in busy/peak times.
However, you are more likely to get hold ups on the M1 Carrara trip than BHA.
I live on the Northside of Brisbane so will take equally longer to travel to both venues.

The Gold Coast is extremely healthy in uptake numbers for AFL & AFLW junior footy.
A successful Lions team and hopefully a much-improved Suns side would further boost interest in the code on the Gold Coast.
I see it differently to you in regard to the Gold Coast area.

I agree that having better ties with the Springfield/Ipswich community is a good thing for the Lions.
Last year the Lions had a great cheaper membership deal for anyone with a Springfield postcode on all types of membership.
However, the growth area has to start at junior level, so we are looking at 10+ years to see results.
I think growth in the area will more likely happen when the 2nd oval (local footy) at BHA is completed, hopefully by the end of 2025.

It will be a difficult time for the Lions, but you have to deal with the cards you are delt. Bad initially, great thereafter.
Nothing venue wise is settled yet, but i prefer Carrara over the other options.

The Lions don't have the money to put into the RNA. That also applies to BHA.
Carrara requires no input of funds, and everything is already set up for AFL.

Top Image BHA
Pink= Springfield Central rail station.
Train line terminates here and is an easy 3-minute walk to BHA. This is great but it does not service from the other direction.
Excellent compared to Nerang train station being 2 km away from Carrara stadium. You then catch one of the many shuttle buses. It's under a 30-minute walk for those healthy soles. However, the Nerang train station has services that run in both directions.

Blue= Part of Lions offices and elite training center

Light Blue = Part of Lions elite training center. Also, the Lions have a 50/50 private ownership of Gym and other facilities. Open to the public for a fee.

Yellow = Parking sections. VIP's/player/staff parking, live media TV trucks and cars parking, public using paid gym facilities parking.

Green = Grandstand 600 seats. Media center behind last row of seating, this runs the length of the grandstand.

Orange = Upper level. Community center.
Was converted to a small number of corporate sections during 2022 AFLW grand final. Has game viewing from a smallish balcony.

Orange = Ground level. Cafe and bar open to all during games.

1702170485132.png
Image of Carrara

1702169142227.png

There are no good venue outcomes for the Lions during the 4 seasons away from The Gabba.

Capacity 10,000 with a 600-seat grandstand that normal fans would have no access to for an AFL game.
Should the Lions be able to improve seating, which is unlikely as they don't have the funds, i suspect it will all be temporary.

Travel times:
Brisbane CBD (Queen Street) to Brighton Homes Arena is 34 km. Google maps time now 35 minutes. Average about 45 minutes
Brisbane CBD (Queen Street) to Carrara Stadium is 73 km so a fair bit longer. Google maps time now 55 minutes. But average is 65 minutes.
I live on the Northside of Brisbane so will take equally longer to travel to both venues.

The Gold Coast is extremely healthy in uptake numbers for AFL & AFLW junior footy.
A successful Lions team and hopefully a much-improved Suns side would further boost interest in the code on the Gold Coast.

I agree that having better ties with the Springfield/Ipswich community is a good thing for the Lions.
Last year the Lions had a great cheaper membership deal for anyone with a Springfield postcode on all types of membership.
However, the growth area has to start at junior level, so we are looking at 10+ years to see results.
I think growth in the area will more likely happen when the 2nd oval (local footy) at BHA is completed, hopefully by the end of 2025.

It will be a difficult time for the Lions, but you have to deal with the cards you are delt. Bad initially, great thereafter.

Top Image BHA
Train line terminates here and is an easy 3-minute walk to BHA. This is great but it does not service from the other direction.
Excellent compared to Nerang train station being 2 km away from Carrara stadium. You then catch one of the many shuttle buses. It's under a 30-minute walk for those healthy soles. However, the Nerang train station has services that run in both directions.

Light Blue = Part of Lions elite training center. Also, the Lions have a 50/50 private ownership of Gym and other facilities. Open to the public for a fee.

Yellow = Parking sections. VIP's/player/staff parking, live media TV trucks and cars parking, public using paid gym facilities parking.

Green = Grandstand 600 seats. Media center behind last row of seating, this runs the length of the grandstand.

Was converted to a small number of corporate sections during 2022 AFLW grand final. Has game viewing from a smallish balcony.

View attachment 1869147
Image of Carrara

View attachment 1869131
I think it all comes down to the state government botching this decision and announcement about the Showgrounds, which ticks the most boxes as a venue for the Lions while the Gabba is out of action. It appears that the Lions and Cricket Aus/QLD have been blindsided by the government asking for such significant financial contributions from the sporting bodies - if true then that’s really poor form considering these negotiations have taken place for so long.

I’ve been to BHA before. It has limitations for parking and access via vehicles, but it also is a 40min train ride from central station. 30mins quicker than a train ride from central to Nerang and it drops passengers off across the road from the venue. You’re commenting as if the Lions would be asked to contribute the same amount of dollars towards BHA as they have toward the Showgrounds. I suspect that’s an incorrect assumption; most of the key infrastructure is already in place at BHA, so the overall cost and construction times to bring it up to standard would be considerably less.

I’ve attached a section of an article from the Courier Mail earlier this year, which stated that BHA has been designed with scope to grow to 25k capacity. IIRC, I read that it is possible for temporary grandstands to be installed in the vacant sections of the venue (between the existing grandstand, admin centre etc) as highlighted in your diagram. There may be more required, but it’s only guesswork at this stage unless you’ve seen a concept design of an expanded BHA?

I firmly believe that having the Lions play on the coast for 4 years could affect the growth of the Suns and their ability to convert the next generation of fans during what we hope will be the first successful period in their history. I recall being at a kids footy clinic on the coast a few years ago and seeing that 75% of the kids were Lions fans. Out of the 50 or so kids only 3-4 were Suns fans - only one example, but make of that what you will. Leaving metro Brisbane without any AFL games for 4 years would clearly impact the growth of the game in Brisbane as well.

My order of preference for the temporary venue would be:

1. RNA Showgrounds (provided the new Labor party leader can go back to the negotiating table and provide a fairer deal for our code).

2. BHA

3. Heritage Bank

Attachments

• 9CA8EA4A-3ECA-4479-B75C-40F88F60AE3F.jpeg
    9CA8EA4A-3ECA-4479-B75C-40F88F60AE3F.jpeg
    304.7 KB · Views: 35
Top Image BHA

View attachment 1869147
Surely temporary stands could be erected all around to raise the capacity to at least 20,000??

I think it all comes down to the state government botching this decision and announcement about the Showgrounds, which ticks the most boxes as a venue for the Lions while the Gabba is out of action. It appears that the Lions and Cricket Aus/QLD have been blindsided by the government asking for such significant financial contributions from the sporting bodies - if true then that’s really poor form considering these negotiations have taken place for so long.

I’ve been to BHA before. It has limitations for parking and access via vehicles, but it also is a 40min train ride from central station. 30mins quicker than a train ride from central to Nerang and it drops passengers off across the road from the venue. You’re commenting as if the Lions would be asked to contribute the same amount of dollars towards BHA as they have toward the Showgrounds. I suspect that’s an incorrect assumption; most of the key infrastructure is already in place at BHA, so the overall cost and construction times to bring it up to standard would be considerably less.

I’ve attached a section of an article from the Courier Mail earlier this year, which stated that BHA has been designed with scope to grow to 25k capacity. IIRC, I read that it is possible for temporary grandstands to be installed in the vacant sections of the venue (between the existing grandstand, admin centre etc) as highlighted in your diagram. There may be more required, but it’s only guesswork at this stage unless you’ve seen a concept design of an expanded BHA?

I firmly believe that having the Lions play on the coast for 4 years could affect the growth of the Suns and their ability to convert the next generation of fans during what we hope will be the first successful period in their history. I recall being at a kids footy clinic on the coast a few years ago and seeing that 75% of the kids were Lions fans. Out of the 50 or so kids only 3-4 were Suns fans - only one example, but make of that what you will. Leaving metro Brisbane without any AFL games for 4 years would clearly impact the growth of the game in Brisbane as well.

1. RNA Showgrounds (provided the new Labor party leader can go back to the negotiating table and provide a fairer deal for our code).

2. BHA

3. Heritage Bank

I agree with this, I think fans underestimate the damage of 4 seasons on the gold coast. It wouldn't be good for either QLD club imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. BHA

3. Heritage Bank
I think a lot of Lions members have the same preferences as you.
I would love to see the plans for BHA expansion to 25k as per the CM attachment.
Even a 20k one would be helpful to us members to form an opinion.
The club never made the plans public to my knowledge.

Either way the Lions don't have the funds to upgrade the capacity of BHA to 15/20/25k.
Their borrowing capacity would be limited. The Lions had to put their own funds (likely borrowed) to actually complete BHA.
The figure i believe was $3 million to complete the main oval and buildings stage.
I assume they have not used any grant money for stage 2, that being for the 2nd oval still under construction.
I think they will want to complete that job before looking at any changes in their borrowing capacity.

I believe the borrowing issue would apply even if the costs were reduced by say 1/5 to that of the RNA stakeholder share.
BHA may have most of the infrastructure in place but surely that applies to the RNA as well.

For $137 million the RNA proposal is going from the present 20k capacity to: - Lengthen the oval a little + better seating but uncovered. Then after 4 years reduce capacity back to 12k. So, more costs for someone to pay.

EDIT: just found this article from the Ipswich City Council

So only $68 million to upgrade BHA.

Brighton Homes Arena half the cost of RNA to host Brisbane Lions​

31 July 2023​

With Brighton Homes Arena, Springfield Central already the home ground of the Brisbane Lions’ AFLW team, upgrading the purpose-built AFL stadium to accommodate the men’s team would be around half the cost of retrofitting the heritage RNA site.

Last edited:
I think a lot of Lions members have the same preferences as you.
I would love to see the plans for BHA expansion to 25k as per the CM attachment.
Even a 20k one would be helpful to us members to form an opinion.
The club never made the plans public to my knowledge.

Either way the Lions don't have the funds to upgrade the capacity of BHA to 15/20/25k.
Their borrowing capacity would be limited. The Lions had to put their own funds (likely borrowed) to actually complete BHA.
The figure i believe was $3 million to complete the main oval and buildings stage.
I assume they have not used any grant money for stage 2, that being for the 2nd oval still under construction.
I think they will want to complete that job before looking at any changes in their borrowing capacity.

I believe the borrowing issue would apply even if the costs were reduced by say 1/5 to that of the RNA stakeholder share.
BHA may have most of the infrastructure in place but surely that applies to the RNA as well.

For $137 million the RNA proposal is going from the present 20k capacity to: - Lengthen the oval a little + better seating but uncovered. Then after 4 years reduce capacity back to 12k. So, more costs for someone to pay.

EDIT: just found this article from the Ipswich City Council

So only $68 million to upgrade BHA.

Brighton Homes Arena half the cost of RNA to host Brisbane Lions​

31 July 2023​

With Brighton Homes Arena, Springfield Central already the home ground of the Brisbane Lions’ AFLW team, upgrading the purpose-built AFL stadium to accommodate the men’s team would be around half the cost of retrofitting the heritage RNA site.
I suspect that Ipswich Council would be keen to chip in a significant amount of funding towards the upgrade if it secured them 4 seasons of AFL games. Very strange that the government would go public with the Showgrounds proposal when funding commitments hadn’t been secured from all stakeholders. Can see why the BCC Lord Mayor was so pissed off with the way the government handled it. As it currently stands, you’d have to say that BHA isn’t out of the running yet because the longer this Showgrounds saga rolls on, the less viable it becomes as an option to be ready for the 2026 AFL season.

Is there a sniff on the breeze of them not doing the full knockdown/rebuild now?
Not really. It's like NSW "pausing" the Sydney Metro West. They're just politicking, trying to rework how to best spin it and any changes.

The sooner the train station opens the better, because holy * the transport is confusing if youre not a regular

Travel times:

Top Image BHA

View attachment 1869147
Image of Carrara

View attachment 1869131

Good to see you're all over it Section 5. I was basically laughed out of the Lions Board GABBA thread a while back for stating such basic common sense & mathematical facts.

There is an article in the Courier Mail today suggesting the plans to rebuild the Gabba for the 2032 Olympics have been scrapped, with the State Government looking for cheaper alternatives.

There is an article in the Courier Mail today suggesting the plans to rebuild the Gabba for the 2032 Olympics have been scrapped, with the State Government looking for cheaper alternatives.
Yep saw that.

Wonder who got involved.. ******* cricket love to play a part.

Surely can’t go for a second or third oval stadium in Brisbane.

Queensland cricket need to stop being old and pedantic and push for GABBA rebuild. Otherwise it’ll never get this chance again, with the budget on sports focused solely on the Olympics. They’re okay with being the 5th best cricket stadium in Australia? Okay.

Yep saw that.

Wonder who got involved.. ******* cricket love to play a part.

Surely can’t go for a second or third oval stadium in Brisbane.

Queensland cricket need to stop being old and pedantic and push for GABBA rebuild. Otherwise it’ll never get this chance again, with the budget on sports focused solely on the Olympics. They’re okay with being the 5th best cricket stadium in Australia? Okay.
Gees the whole thing has turned into a big stuff up hasn't it! All my footy mates have been excited about finally having a decent ground and avoiding all the scrounging for tickets in all the regular sell outs up here.

The ground is way WAY too small now for Australia's 3rd largest city......and now Coates says a rebuild doesn't stack up FOR THE OLYMPICS? WTF Brisbane is way overdue for a rebuild Gabba anyway! Should have started the planning process for that 5 years ago, South East Qld's population is expected to hit 6 million people in 20 years!

So now all the excitement about the Olympics has ended for most of us....and we'll probably never have a decent stadium in Brisbane now as without Federal funding for the Olympics going towards it then it will never happen. Talk about a strange political environment to witness....does anyone in politics in Brisbane actually care about Brisbane???!

Gees the whole thing has turned into a big stuff up hasn't it! All my footy mates have been excited about finally having a decent ground and avoiding all the scrounging for tickets in all the regular sell outs up here.

The ground is way WAY too small now for Australia's 3rd largest city......and now Coates says a rebuild doesn't stack up FOR THE OLYMPICS? WTF Brisbane is way overdue for a rebuild Gabba anyway! Should have started the planning process for that 5 years ago, South East Qld's population is expected to hit 6 million people in 20 years!

So now all the excitement about the Olympics has ended for most of us....and we'll probably never have a decent stadium in Brisbane now as without Federal funding for the Olympics going towards it then it will never happen. Talk about a strange political environment to witness....does anyone in politics in Brisbane actually care about Brisbane???!
Love the comment he made about a rebuild doesn’t stack up for the Olympics.. so when then, if not for the biggest sporting festival in the world?
Gabba are kidding themselves thinking they could also get a gradual rebuild akin to MCG’s plan. The budget/money/financials are all in for the Olympics.
Imagine if GABBA doesn’t host the Olympics, yet then the owners will ask for funding for rebuild.. not a freaking chance. Taxpayers wouldn’t be close to impressed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back