The 'Gabba (Brisbane Cricket Ground)

Remove this Banner Ad

I've never been to The Gabba, are the facilities and stands in poor condition? What is it like to say Carrara Stadium or other stadiums?
I live opposite the Gabba. They just spent a couple of years renovating the bars/gates to make it more modern. It looks pretty good now, which now makes those works completely pointless as they're now going to demolish it anyway...

I live opposite the Gabba. They just spent a couple of years renovating the bars/gates to make it more modern. It looks pretty good now, which now makes those works completely pointless as they're now going to demolish it anyway...
It is unfortunate but most major companies that host the public do need to spend some money for improvements.
Woolies, Coles, Department stores all regularly do improvements.
The last major upgrade to the Gabba was in 2005.
So, it did need a visual facelift after 15 years.
They will get another 2 full AFL and Cricket years out of that money spent. Thats about 5 years in total.
Maybe a lot of the media equipment and signage can be sold or used elsewhere.

What you mentioned was completed late 2020 and the $35 million was for the following.

The upgrade includes enhancements to:

• General Admission (ticketing and entry) upgrades to ensure they align with the recent The Gabba security hardening works undertaken by Stadiums Queensland
  • 12 work fronts to allow the facility to remain operational around events
  • Public concourses
  • Food and beverage outlets
  • Bar and entertainment spaces
  • Corporate spaces
  • Media and broadcast facilities (realignment of the TV studios with the field of play, new production/editing room and new camera platforms to meet the latest AFL and Cricket Australia standards)
  • Improved signage and wayfinding.

Totally agree with all the points mentioned by Section 5 in #394 re Metricon, Brisbane Lions can not play their home games in another city for 4 years, that would be madness.

I would hazard a guess that 9 out of 10 Lions fans would be very much anti Metricon as a home ground option.

RNA is the no brainer solution.
Is Showgrounds even big enough? How much would it cost to get it to 20k?

Compared to Metricon which costs nothing and might still attract similar sized crowds.

If you're going to spend money, they should spend it on Springfield which they have chose as the home of the women's so at least you know the facilities won't be wasted after the Gabba is rebuilt.

Is Showgrounds even big enough? How much would it cost to get it to 20k?

Compared to Metricon which costs nothing and might still attract similar sized crowds.

If you're going to spend money, they should spend it on Springfield which they have chose as the home of the women's so at least you know the facilities won't be wasted after the Gabba is rebuilt.
Not sure how much, although would be in the tens of Millions at the least IMO, but the RNA has to be renovated for the Olympics anyway as it is slated to be the venue for the Equestrian events.

IIRC the on field area would have to be slightly expanded to make it viable for AFL level footy, and even then it will be on the shorter and narrower end of current grounds.

Springfield would be a nightmare to get in and out of with a circa 20,000 crowd, with the way it is now a 4-5K crowd and is bedlam on the roads and public transport.

I meant more the size of the 'oval' which is currently no where near AFL standard, plus whatever it would cost to make facilities acceptable. Its definitely not nothing.
True
Until an announcement is made it is all guesswork.
Whichever location is chosen it will be the seating comfort that will determine if it works for 4 years.
Initially members will put up with average seats but that won't last in my opinion.

Not sure how much, although would be in the tens of Millions at the least IMO, but the RNA has to be renovated for the Olympics anyway as it is slated to be the venue for the Equestrian events.

IIRC the on field area would have to be slightly expanded to make it viable for AFL level footy, and even then it will be on the shorter and narrower end of current grounds.

Springfield would be a nightmare to get in and out of with a circa 20,000 crowd, with the way it is now a 4-5K crowd and is bedlam on the roads and public transport.
I think the money spent on Equestrian at the RNA may be mostly to upgrade facilities to Olympic standard to house the horses.
Maybe a warmup training area close to the main oval will have funds allocated too.
The main oval would also have to be up to Olympic standard so funds will defiantly go towards that.
I believe the IOC would be happy enough with cosmetic seating upgrades around the oval area to accommodate 20K.
No need for a lot of seats to be undercover for a 4-week event.

The big money spend will come into play if they decide AFL & Cricket is to be played at the RNA for 4 years.

Any release/details over what the new stadium will look like?
No generic style bowl design I hope. Something futuristic and stylish like Atlanta NFL staidium would be nice. It is the olympics after all. Will be after LA Olympics, who are going all out for it.

Proposed-Upgrade.jpg
Stadium-Interior.jpg

Very little online regarding plans blueprints.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It looks incredibly underwhelming when you see other stadiums around the world that have some pretty cool stuff, and probably cost far less. This thing is going to cost a gazillion dollars and we will be left with something that looks pretty meh IMHO

It looks incredibly underwhelming when you see other stadiums around the world that have some pretty cool stuff, and probably cost far less. This thing is going to cost a gazillion dollars and we will be left with something that looks pretty meh IMHO

I suspect that, like the Mac Point stadium in Hobart, it’s only at the concept drawing stage and the actual design will be released in due course.

Also have to bear in mind that probably half the cost is from logistics of the constrained site plus surrounding infrastructure like the road bridges, etc.

NFL stadiums are rarely in downtown sites, often green field, and generally isolated so are a blank canvas so it's not exactly like for like.

The Courier Mail has reported that the Showgrounds will be redeveloped to host AFL and cricket games while the Gabba is being rebuilt. It will have a 20k capacity; however, that will be reduced to 12k when it’s in legacy mode (post-Olympics) so it doesn’t compete with the new Gabba for major events. A good outcome for Brisbane, although the Qld gov is only chipping in $50m of the projected $150m construction costs so they are expecting the council, AFL, Cricket Aus and the RNA to pay the rest.

The Courier Mail has reported that the Showgrounds will be redeveloped to host AFL and cricket games while the Gabba is being rebuilt. It will have a 20k capacity; however, that will be reduced to 12k when it’s in legacy mode (post-Olympics) so it doesn’t compete with the new Gabba for major events. A good outcome for Brisbane, although the Qld gov is only chipping in $50m of the projected $150m construction costs so they are expecting the council, AFL, Cricket Aus and the RNA to pay the rest.

Why the f* would the AFL chip in after it was the government's idea to displace them from their home in the first place?

If anything the government should be paying the lions for significantly lost revenue.

Another example of the AFL being the only sporting body in the country that is required to chip in for a stadium build (that other sports get the benefit of anyway).

Why the f* would the AFL chip in after it was the government's idea to displace them from their home in the first place?

If anything the government should be paying the lions for significantly lost revenue.

Another example of the AFL being the only sporting body in the country that is required to chip in for a stadium build (that other sports get the benefit of anyway).
Gabba rebuild is perfect for AFL and cricket. Should both STFU and foot the bill.
A two week event in 2032 is going to revitalise the stadium and surrounds for the two codes for years to come.

Brisbane has 4 boutique stadiums with a Gabba rebuild.

Guess how many rectangular stadiums there is…

The whole thing is a farce.
Brisbane should just play at Gold Coast.

Gabba rebuild is perfect for AFL and cricket. Should both STFU and foot the bill.
A two week event in 2032 is going to revitalise the stadium and surrounds for the two codes for years to come.

Brisbane has 4 boutique stadiums with a Gabba rebuild.

Guess how many rectangular stadiums there is…

The whole thing is a farce.
Brisbane should just play at Gold Coast.

Surely taking the piss, unless Freo paid for Optus stadium did they? Or any other sporting team or competition in Australia contributed to the build of a stadium they are playing in?

Why wouldn't the Brisbane Lions just relocate their games to Carrara during this period? It's where the Brisbane Bears started off playing anyhow.

Turns out it's more like $150 mil, with Brisbane/Afl chipping in 50.

Still think it's the best idea?
That's to upgrade the facilities, seating, etc. Still already had the 20k capacity you thought it needed.

Somewhat insanely it also includes paying to REDUCE capacity upon completion, to only 12k, to avoid competing with the Gabba.

Why wouldn't the Brisbane Lions just relocate their games to Carrara during this period? It's where the Brisbane Bears started off playing anyhow.
Because it's s**t to get to and the club worries that they'll lose their current favoured place in the Brisbane sporting scene by being out of sight and out of mind just after getting the club back on a stable footing.

If they upgraded Marvel, would your club's preferred option to play its home games out of be Kardinia Park (but add a 2km hike from the train station)?

What this really highlights is the dumb location of Carrara for Gold Coast's stadium. Easy in hindsight - but it sits in the middle of nowhere away from public transport or the Gold Coast "CBD" itself. I know it already existed but they effectively rebuilt it all didn't they?

The stadium either needed to be next to a station (take your pick of Helensvale, Nerang or Robina) or much closer to Surfers on the tram line (I know there isn't much space around there). Helensvale has the advantage of the tram too.

If it was next to a station I think Brisbane could probably deal with playing there but the fact you need to get a shuttle bus makes it much worse. Sounds like traffic is a nightmare too for driving.

RNA feels like a weird option considering it's a temporary option and both cricket/AFL get nothing out of it afterwards unless they decide to play AFLW or something there. Not sure why they'd stump up the cash - I'm sure the Lions would rather put $40m into BHA/MVO and cricket Allan Border Field.

If the Lions/cricket don't have to pay, I think it'll be RNA otherwise more likely a combination of BHA/Cararra. If cricket needs to be played in QLD then I think CA will just play it at Carrara.

QSAC is the interesting option to me. Could it be a cheaper alternative to RNA that's still in Brisbane rather than travelling to the Gold Coast? It looks like it would be mostly field renovations to replace the track with an oval as the stands and capacity already exists. Might be an okay "compromise" if it comes to it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back