The 'Gabba (Brisbane Cricket Ground)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gees the whole thing has turned into a big stuff up hasn't it! All my footy mates have been excited about finally having a decent ground and avoiding all the scrounging for tickets in all the regular sell outs up here.

The ground is way WAY too small now for Australia's 3rd largest city......and now Coates says a rebuild doesn't stack up FOR THE OLYMPICS? WTF Brisbane is way overdue for a rebuild Gabba anyway! Should have started the planning process for that 5 years ago, South East Qld's population is expected to hit 6 million people in 20 years!

So now all the excitement about the Olympics has ended for most of us....and we'll probably never have a decent stadium in Brisbane now as without Federal funding for the Olympics going towards it then it will never happen. Talk about a strange political environment to witness....does anyone in politics in Brisbane actually care about Brisbane???!
Exactly. I don’t really even care about the Olympics and its third tier sports, I was more interested in Brisbane getting a well-overdue world class oval stadium that I can watch footy and cricket at for the next few decades. In addition to better public transport links.

The Lions had 7 sell outs last season. If Mac Point gets built in Hobart then the Gabba will not only be undersized, it will genuinely the 8th ranked oval stadium in the country. This is an unacceptable outcome for the nation’s third largest city.

Interesting that Suncorp (upgraded to 60k) is being proposed for the opening and closing ceremony, while QE2 - 10km from the city and with no transport - being suggested for athletics with no possible tenant for the facility post-Olympics. I wonder if the rugby league executives have had some influence in this scenario because it seems like a gift for the NRL at the expense of the AFL and cricket.

Exactly. I don’t really even care about the Olympics and its third tier sports, I was more interested in Brisbane getting a well-overdue world class oval stadium that I can watch footy and cricket at for the next few decades. In addition to better public transport links.

The Lions had 7 sell outs last season. If Mac Point gets built in Hobart then the Gabba will not only be undersized, it will genuinely the 8th ranked oval stadium in the country. This is an unacceptable outcome for the nation’s third largest city.

Interesting that Suncorp (upgraded to 60k) is being proposed for the opening and closing ceremony, while QE2 - 10km from the city and with no transport - being suggested for athletics with no possible tenant for the facility post-Olympics. I wonder if the rugby league executives have had some influence in this scenario because it seems like a gift for the NRL at the expense of the AFL and cricket.
Queensland is a QRU, QRL state. Can’t justify a oval rebuild.

This is looking like a terrible Olympics by the planning of it.

Coates is the one that's put that idea out there.

For context, he's a founding member of the Wests Tigers Foundation, which required a minimum six figure donation.

I wonder if the rugby league executives have had some influence in this scenario because it seems like a gift for the NRL at the expense of the AFL and cricket.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Peter V was on the phone suggesting this to Coates and the premier. Or former QLD labor premier Peter Beattie, who is on the nrl commission.

Peter V is famous for trying to block the afl in the northern states and using dirty tactics. Remember when he got angry that foxtel paid so much for the next tv rights because he had a handshake agreement that they wouldn't pay more for the afl than the nrl rights? The arrogance was astounding.

In saying all that, I respect it if he gets away with it. Who have we got fighting our battles as chairman? Richard Goyder, Mr invisible, bloody useless.

Last edited:
Queensland is a QRU, QRL state. Can’t justify a oval rebuild.

This is looking like a terrible Olympics by the planning of it.
The current Gabba is a stadium that already belongs in a bygone era, let alone eight years from now. This decision will harm the growth of the Lions for the next 20 years and will ensure that Brisbane is well back in the pecking order as an international cricket venue. Every summer that we host 2 x 3 test series (or separate 3 and 2 test series) Brisbane will host the lesser opponent.

I think it is justified when we’re talking about two of the biggest sports in Australia (even if the AFL plays second fiddle to NRL in QLD). QE2 is an absolute shitbox in a terrible area so that will become an even bigger white elephant with every extra dollar that’s invested there.

Is this RL people trying to get Suncorp to not only host but get an upgrade or facelift. They want the GABBA to rot and the AFL to gain nothing.

It would be niave to think otherwise. Putting an opening ceremony in an already developed 'rectangular' stadium and calling for upgrades to that stadium instead of the old oval stadium might be a giveaway.

Last edited:
The Courier Mail got the exclusive from Coates after he met with the 3 review committee members.
All other media basically a copy and paste from that.
The ABC at least tried to contact Coates but he just referred them to his statement.

The thing is Coates suggestions are not within the "Terms of Reference" in my opinion set by the Qld Government.
As such the review committee should ignore his suggestion regarding QSAC (QE2) and Brisbane (Suncorp) Stadium.
Suncorp is listed under "Existing" not under new and upgraded sports venues.
QSAC is not listed at all in any category of current sports venue projects. So obviously not in new and upgraded sports venues.
Submissions to the committee should be regarding the 6 new and 8 upgraded venues.
See image below for the list on these 14 venues.
Link to all venues for those interested to see if QSAC is listed elsewhere which it is not.
Also, the link to the "Terms of Reference"
Below the opening paragraphs of the terms of reference. Only a small section but an important one.

The Independent Review
The Review will examine the Brisbane 2032 sports venues with a focus on the new and upgraded sports venues. The Review will assess the suitability of current sports venue projects, being affordable, fit-for-purpose, deliverable, and creating a substantial legacy with benefits for our communities, having regard to existing documents and studies including:

1707396695418.png
1707396571415.png

The question is did Coates run to the media on his own behalf or on the government's behalf. Either way it was a slimey act.

The question is did Coates run to the media on his own behalf or on the government's behalf. Either way it was a slimey act.
I doubt it was on the Qld. Governments behalf.

Premier Miles was smart in calling for a review as there are quite a few things that can be changed.
Miles should have stipulated when calling for the review that the Queensland Governments total funding for the games will be unchanged. Where that money is spent is what the review is about.
If the Queensland government reduces their total funding so will the Commonwealth and he won't want that to happen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be niave to think otherwise. Putting an opening ceremony in an already developed 'rectangular' stadium and calling for upgrades to that stadium instead of the old oval stadium might be a giveaway.
Have an opening ceremony ever been outside of the Olympic/track stadium?
Love the White Queenslander politics involved in this.

How long are they giving this before building? Currently 8 years before the Games. 4-5 years from the date would be a guess? Probably will be 3 years s***fighting before eventually Gabba is the best spot.

Have an opening ceremony ever been outside of the Olympic/track stadium?
Love the White Queenslander politics involved in this.

How long are they giving this before building? Currently 8 years before the Games. 4-5 years from the date would be a guess? Probably will be 3 years s***fighting before eventually Gabba is the best spot.
Yes, the 2016 Rio Olympics held its ceremonies at one of the Games' soccer venues rather than the athletics stadium.

The next two are also not at the athletics stadium, with Paris being along the Seine, and the following in LA to be at SoFi Stadium, one of its Games' soccer venues.

Australia is probably the only country where it does make sense spending money to develop an oval-shaped stadium. In the rest of the world where venues end up becoming soccer or rugby grounds, cities end up with an expensive high capacity venue where either the seats are far away from the action (Seoul, Barcelona, Athens, Tokyo), is unused (Beijing), or requires further spending to convert it to the optimal shape (Atlanta, Sydney, London).

But if Brisbane does go with a non-athletics venue, it will be the fourth in five Olympics to do so.

Last edited:
The current Gabba is a stadium that already belongs in a bygone era, let alone eight years from now.
What nonsense. It's a perfectly fine stadium to watch sports in as is. Sure, it's not the prettiest thing to look at with all the concrete, but so what? I don't go to stadiums for the architectural value. This idea that a city has to have the nicest and grandest stadium is a weird one when you consider their huge cost.

However, if a new stadium is absolutely necessary for some reason, why rebuild on the same cramped site and kick the club out for 4+ years in the process? Disastrous idea. They may as well pick a new location for the Olympic stadium, then the Lions can play at the Gabba until 2032 and move to the Olympic stadium afterwards. Victoria Park is also near a train station and bus station and there's plenty of land there to spread out.

The elephant in the room is still where the athletics will be held if the Gabba rebuild is scrapped. QSAC is antiquated and in a bad location and surely they won't hold the showpiece events on the Gold Coast.

Is another stadium in the city going to be much cheaper than a rebuild (also considering the displacement of the Lions and cricket - but between Allan Border Field and the Gold Coast I feel cricket could get away with it for a while).

All this makes me think that they might do a cheaper facelift of the Gabba to enable it to fit an athletics track, upgrade the concourses and possibly increase capacity to about 50k (add additional rows to the top level and build a new roof).

The elephant in the room is still where the athletics will be held if the Gabba rebuild is scrapped. QSAC is antiquated and in a bad location and surely they won't hold the showpiece events on the Gold Coast.

Is another stadium in the city going to be much cheaper than a rebuild (also considering the displacement of the Lions and cricket - but between Allan Border Field and the Gold Coast I feel cricket could get away with it for a while).

All this makes me think that they might do a cheaper facelift of the Gabba to enable it to fit an athletics track, upgrade the concourses and possibly increase capacity to about 50k (add additional rows to the top level and build a new roof).
All plans in the end will cost a fortune.

Brisbane / Queensland have to understand it ll be coming off the back of Paris 2024 and LA 2028. Both will be spectacular and stadiums incredible, especially in LA.
Brisbane doing a half arse job will not only damage their reputation but hurt in the long run. More renovations will be require, cost blow outs etc.
Do it now for 2 billion to save hassle in the future. It ll only interest in funding the closer it gets to the games.

The gabba is way undersized - it is 'fine' to watch sports at but it cannot fit enough people.....with more and more sellouts more people miss out and gate receipts capped. With the population exploding up here 36,000 will be irrelevant in terms of sports and Brisbane will lose tests and maybe finals.

If a new stadium elsewhere (where though? I don't think the State Govt owns RNA or Vic park) was going to cost similar anyway then there just isn't any point stuffing around.

They can't add much capacity to the Gabba as is - the stands overhang Stanley & Vulture streets, would require heavy excavation works I'd say which is why the rebuild. Perhaps at the school end they could build a new taller section where the school is but what extra capacity would that little section create? And if the rest of the ground potentially has concrete cancer issues then it would be a joke and end up costing more in the long run to forego the opportunity of a proper rebuild to do piece meal that ends up with a smaller capacity at a greater end cost than a rebuild.....

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Peter V was on the phone suggesting this to Coates and the premier. Or former QLD labor premier Peter Beattie, who is on the nrl commission.

Peter V is famous for trying to block the afl in the northern states and using dirty tactics. Remember when he got angry that foxtel paid so much for the next tv rights because he had a handshake agreement that they wouldn't pay more for the afl than the nrl rights? The arrogance was astounding.

In saying all that, I respect it if he gets away with it. Who have we got fighting our battles as chairman? Richard Goyder, Mr invisible, bloody useless.
In my opinion with the 2 positions he holds at Horse racing NSW and the NRL, Peter V'landys is the most powerful man in Australia sport at the moment, and knows where the bodies are buried, metaphorically.

What nonsense. It's a perfectly fine stadium to watch sports in as is. Sure, it's not the prettiest thing to look at with all the concrete, but so what? I don't go to stadiums for the architectural value. This idea that a city has to have the nicest and grandest stadium is a weird one when you consider their huge cost.

However, if a new stadium is absolutely necessary for some reason, why rebuild on the same cramped site and kick the club out for 4+ years in the process? Disastrous idea. They may as well pick a new location for the Olympic stadium, then the Lions can play at the Gabba until 2032 and move to the Olympic stadium afterwards. Victoria Park is also near a train station and bus station and there's plenty of land there to spread out.
Have you watched sport at more modern venues interstate and overseas? If you have then I don’t know how you could have that opinion of the Gabba. I like the ground being in Gabba, but you make a good point regarding the impact on the Lions, happy for a different inner-city location if it helps it get over the line.

In my opinion with the 2 positions he holds at Horse racing NSW and the NRL, Peter V'landys is the most powerful man in Australia sport at the moment, and knows where the bodies are buried, metaphorically.

Well he has the nsw media on side pushing his agenda, which is also basically the national media. He is mates with the p.m who is a massive r.l nuffie and he is apparently close mates with Lachlan Murdoch (traditionally the world's most powerful media family). So yes it's a big advantage. It's also the reason why the AFL will be left behind having two leaders in Dillon and Goyder that have little charisma, profile and high powerful contacts. I've been saying it for a while, Goyder needs to go.

I don't really care about the Olympics or where it is but I just wanted the lions to have a new stadium. I wonder if they do build them a stadium on a different location. From funds allocated from elsewhere. Maybe the state government will also chip in more than usual because they've screwed them over. It'll still be cheaper than paying for a knock down and rebuild in the same spot. State still saves money in the long run.

In the meantime get rid of that ridiculous pool area and the rest of the wasted space and jam in more seats for lions fans!!!

I don't really care about the Olympics or where it is but I just wanted the lions to have a new stadium. I wonder if they do build them a stadium on a different location. From funds allocated from elsewhere. Maybe the state government will also chip in more than usual because they've screwed them over. It'll still be cheaper than paying for a knock down and rebuild in the same spot. State still saves money in the long run.

In the meantime get rid of that ridiculous pool area and the rest of the wasted space and jam in more seats for lions fans!!!
Dude it's all down to money if the Lions get a new stadium, and at the moment in my opinion that would be remote and there appears to be very little money there.

What about building a new stadium on this community ground in Windsor next to Albion Station? It’s closer than the Racecourse. And if you close McDonald Rd (even if only on event days) there is great pedestrian access to the station. It is even walking distance to Windsor Station on the Ferny Grove line.

A couple of houses might need to be purchased and demolished on Grafton Street and then new community club facilities built elsewhere, but it seems like it would have less opposition than demolishing the East Brisbane School, and be a simpler construction for a cheaper price.

IMG_0271.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back