The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Us going against the narrative of suppose to be dropping down the ladder and finished is annoying the heck out of people.

I was confident we’d bounce back this year, didn’t expect 7-0 and there’s a long way to go in the season, we’ll lose games but the pleasing thing for me is once again the club has reset, refocused and gone again, can’t ask for anything more than that, been a remarkable 20 odd years supporting Geelong.

After 16 years of Geelong making the finals in all but 2 years? It shouldn’t annoy anyone anymore, it’s just the way it is lol. Death, taxes, and betting that Geelong will make Top 2 before the start of the year and winning the bet.

Us going against the narrative of suppose to be dropping down the ladder and finished is annoying the heck out of people.

I don’t think anyone is saying Geelong aren’t good. I think the query is whether Geelong are the number 1 team in the comp. Ladder says yes, but not everyone is convinced.

Geelong are clearly a top half team. We’ll know in four weeks is they were top four.

A man who in preseason had us 16th now trying to come across as the oracle and that he knows what he's on about. Tap out, this conversation ain't for you, you've been confirmed as clueless on who is good and who is not in 2024.
Do you ever not play the man? If you resort to getting personal every time you encounter differing opinions on here, then perhaps you’re the one that should sit this one out.

Not sure why you keep engaging me anyway. I thought I made it obvious that I want absolutely nothing to do with you.

I don’t trust us until we start putting sides away. We haven’t this year (outside of North) and have been very lucky ourselves. Records don’t mean much at this stage of the season and I agree about Brisbane, I can definitely see that side stringing 5 or 6 wins together quickly.
Vossy is da man.

Time to believe bro.

I don’t think anyone is saying Geelong aren’t good. I think the query is whether Geelong are the number 1 team in the comp. Ladder says yes, but not everyone is convinced.

Geelong are clearly a top half team. We’ll know in four weeks is they were top four.

I don’t think we’re the best team either, next 3 games will give us a good indication.

I don’t trust us until we start putting sides away. We haven’t this year (outside of North) and have been very lucky ourselves. Records don’t mean much at this stage of the season and I agree about Brisbane, I can definitely see that side stringing 5 or 6 wins together quickly.
At what stage did you come good last year? Some teams are notoriously slow starters. As long as you stay in touch with top four then find form in the back end of the season and take that into finals, you’ll be fine.

Yeah sides that have played Brisbane and Collingwood already are lucky as I think they’ll still be very dangerous at times throughout the season.

Do you ever not play the man? If you resort to getting personal every time you encounter differing opinions on here, then perhaps you’re the one that should sit this one out.

Not sure why you keep engaging me anyway. I thought I made it obvious that I want absolutely nothing to do with you.
Perfectly on topic remark. I'm calling into question your credibility.

You were so clueless in preseason with where we'd finish. So, I ponder, why should anyone take seriously your prediction of straight sets?

At what stage did you come good last year? Some teams are notoriously slow starters. As long as you stay in touch with top four then find form in the back end of the season and take that into finals, you’ll be fine.

Yeah sides that have played Brisbane and Collingwood already are lucky as I think they’ll still be very dangerous at times throughout the season.

From Round 5 to Round 13 we went 1-8 last year and then won 9 in a row. I wouldn’t endorse doing that again lol.

unlucky not to be drafted will patton had his breakout game potentially with us at westies today. 26 touches and 12 marks at chb, still need to fill out but the talent is undoubtably there. kobe ryan just continuing to do his thing, 33 touches 2 goals 9 tackles and 10 clearances, dont see how he gets overlooked in the mid season draft again.

We will meet again in Round 15 when we have Motlop, McGovern, Saad, Martin, Cerra, Marchbank and Cuninghan all playing.

Nothing I saw from Geelong should worry GWS, Port and Melbourne.
Cunningham, Martin and Motlop a bit of padding there. The others are very good players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cunningham, Martin and Motlop a bit of padding there. The others are very good players

Martin had a very good backend of last year, both he and Motlop are essential to our front 6 when we aren’t getting much from it. In saying that, I wouldn’t be handing Martin a new contract either. But it has nothing to do with ability, he just can’t stay on the park at all.

Cunningham’s spot has been taken by E Hollands. He is no longer best 22. I’ve given up on Martin, he is never on the park. Motlop is better than the competition for his spot currently in the team, but not a world beater for sure.

Unbelievably just got home. Long day having also gone to Princes Park.

Something about Melbourne will always frustrate me as city, not sure what it is, so many good things, but every time I travel to Melbourne I hate the experience. Living there. Yikes.

Hopefully the King's Birthday trip to Sydney will be better.
Stewart aside do they have anyone missing? Carlton missing half a team and would have won comfortably if they had kicked straight. Jury still out on Geelong.
Already discussed the Carlton part. There'd be 4 I'd say make a difference and the other possibly replace role players. Where it is felt most is in the VFL. Local level players against 15 AFL listed players and it's a bloodbath. Not even the few AFL players getting a run can really build form in that environment.

Ask a variety of people and you'll get either just Stewart or Rohan as well. Finding it hard to come to terms with Bews no longer in the best team. One of my faves. Would be good for North right now tbh.
Carlton will not win a thing until they improve their kicking, both field and at goal.
Seriously need to get a quality small forward. A 40 goal small is what's missing. At the moment you often need the big 2 kicking a bag with some mids goals.
Doubled their injury list right there.

And they had Adkins as sub. Hardly a massive downgrade.
I love Atkins, hard at it. But even in his twilight Tom doesn't come close to PD.
Has the explosiveness and raw stoppage ability Atkins simply does not have. Parfitt has his role atm and he's only just going.

Without the C and VC for the last 3rd of the game were missing leadership IMO.
Port’s biggest issue is the head coach.
Them and the dogs. I cannot figure out if the coach is the issue or the coach is wringing every last ounce out of a decent but not world beating squad. Reckon it lands with the latter for Port and former for the dogs.
Geelong are 7-0, so how much does it really matter to you? I don’t think anyone has called Geelong s**t.
The goal posts just keep shifting. Pre-season it was all about whether we won't slide further. Beat 3-4 middling teams and it became about beating a contender. Dispatched the Runner's Up in a game hard to take anything from in near monsoon conditions and where many expected us to slow with heavy legs (as Brisbane did) and beat a top 4 contender and now the goal posts are shifting again.

People can keep not rating us, we'll get 16+ wins and get a double chance. History says even when we * it week 1 we bounce back hard the next game.
Reckon a lot of it is subconscious. We all have commented this season about how little the commentary groups like that we've bounced straight back. You can hear it in their commentary tone. We heard it at the final siren 22 GF when Brayshaw wasn't exactly beaming with excitement at what had happened. Far less than Gerard and Huddo were on the SEN call.
I was confident we’d bounce back this year, didn’t expect 7-0 and there’s a long way to go in the season, we’ll lose games but the pleasing thing for me is once again the club has reset, refocused and gone again, can’t ask for anything more than that, been a remarkable 20 odd years supporting Geelong.
As was I. Most of these guys were good enough to win a flag 20 months ago. And now we're getting good contributions out of Bowes and Bruhn. Miers has elevated to a new level, should be getting his blazer measured.
Being the best now doesn't matter too much. The hawks weren't the best team in 08 until GF day. We weren't the best team at the bye in 2022. He who gets to September healthy and in form gives themselves the best chance.

The atmosphere was electric.
Pies are another that give us great atmosphere, almost makes away home games worth it.
unlucky not to be drafted will patton had his breakout game potentially with us at westies today. 26 touches and 12 marks at chb, still need to fill out but the talent is undoubtably there. kobe ryan just continuing to do his thing, 33 touches 2 goals 9 tackles and 10 clearances, dont see how he gets overlooked in the mid season draft again.
MSD chances?
Cunningham’s spot has been taken by E Hollands. He is no longer best 22. I’ve given up on Martin, he is never on the park. Motlop is better than the competition for his spot currently in the team, but not a world beater for sure.
Is he the brother that kicked a couple? Thought he was alright.

Is he better than Toby Pink?

Him and Steven King have certainly had an impact I would like to think.

Is he better than Toby Pink?
not at this point no. pink deserved a shot with his body of work with glenelg, patton is only 4 senior games into his career but he stood up well in a very inexperienced defence with he and darcy minchella at chb and fb and both are 19 year old stick insects.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back