A-League

Do you support expansion

• Yes, for the good of the league

Votes: 65 82.3%
  • No, the league is fine the way it is

Votes: 14 17.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

A team from Tasmania is in contention to be part of an expanded A-League by the start of the 2025-26 season.
The Australian Professional Leagues intend to expand the A-League to 16 clubs – four more than the current 12-team model – in the next three seasons.
The APL wants to add two teams for the 2024-25 season, and two more team for the 2025-26 campaign

“There is a big enough football community in Tasmania to support an A-League team,” Townsend said.
Other cities and areas understood to also be in the running to join the A-League include Canberra, Wollongong, Auckland. North Queensland, the Gold Coast and Fremantle.
A second team from Brisbane is also being considered.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/footb...m/news-story/65aa7ff2d4e558bf7a274f34e1a7e136

Expanding to 16 teams. 100% a Tassie team should be part of it. North Hobart should be the home as it could be ready to go from day one and they could build it into a boutique 10k stadium over time whilst keeping the old Grandstands. There's plenty of space around for a permanent training base within the city.
If they choose wisely (which is more likely without foxtel) it's the best decision that could be done.
My prediction:
ACT
Wollongong
Qld (outside brisbane)
Tassie (depending on government funding)

If they choose wisely (which is more likely without foxtel) it's the best decision that could be done.
My prediction:
ACT
Wollongong
Qld (outside brisbane)
Tassie (depending on government funding)

I reckon Auckland would be a great choice too, 1m+ population to draw fans and most importantly corporate sponsors and backing. They have a good stadium (Not Mt.Smart) and will compliment the Nix with a rivalry.

I just don't think we should be adding any A League teams for quite some time. Unless a Gina Rinehardt or similar wants to come in and fund the league for 5 years or so.

They have to expand, it's the only way Silver Lake will get their money back with license fees.

I reckon Auckland would be a great choice too, 1m+ population to draw fans and most importantly corporate sponsors and backing. They have a good stadium (Not Mt.Smart) and will compliment the Nix with a rivalry.
A lot of people against this as it's not growing the "Aussie game" but for the points you make I am all for it. Should also bring in some more dollars from Sky Sports NZ.

Auckland would also be a sick away trip as it's an awesome city.

I don't think the APL knows what it is doing. Expansion at the same time as getting the 2nd division going? How does that work? There's few investors floating around right now, crowds are down, and a poor media rights deal, having to sell of the GF for a few million, hardly screams let's bring in 2 more teams. Macarthur and WU aren't exactly dragging in big crowds.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think the APL knows what it is doing. Expansion at the same time as getting the 2nd division going? How does that work? There's few investors floating around right now, crowds are down, and a poor media rights deal, having to sell of the GF for a few million, hardly screams let's bring in 2 more teams. Macarthur and WU aren't exactly dragging in big crowds.
That's because Macarthur and WU were stupid FOX Sports influenced clubs. If they had brought Auckland and Canberra in with the last round, I'd argue we'd be in a slightly better position.

Anyway, bring on the Canberra Cosmos and Auckland Kingz! 🤪

Canberra United getting a mens side and Auckland are both very sound choices in isolation and hard to complain about, but the Tasmania/Darwin projection irks me. Still tragic to me that there isn't a Wollongong/South Coast side.

Canberra is a good shout and tbh I think the A League is looking to get in before the NBL does.
The NBL took the bold step of getting Tasmania a team and it’s been a big success.

If Auckland can bring added investment either via additional NZ tv rights or sponsorship then I can see the positives in the move. It does have the population to add plenty of value if done right.

My feelings 😂😂😂

As funny as this meme is, the APL is kinda adding more fuel to the fire by adding new teams so soon. Two new clubs is just going to add on that burden that already exists as well as stretch the already small talent pool.
But.. if you are gonna do it it's absolutely the right decision to go Canberra and Auckland. It will boost a new television deal and attract new sponsors and memberships to the league but it will it save the already struggling clubs? A-League expansion has a pretty poor record overall do we have faith in the league nailing this expansion?

Last edited:
As funny as this meme is, the APL is kinda adding more fuel to the fire by adding new teams so soon. Two new clubs is just going to add on that burden that already exists as well as stretch the already small talent pool.
But.. if you are gonna do it it's absolutely the right decision to go Canberra and Auckland. It will boost a new television deal and attract new sponsors and memberships to the league but it will it save the already struggling clubs? A-League expansion has a pretty poor record overall do we have faith in the league nailing this expansion?
Faith? Nooooooo.

WSW was the only one they nailed, but over time even that's regressed.

These are the right places to expand, but I don't really think it will add much to the commercial side of things.

I understand expanding, I also understand 2nd division. But only a madman would try and do them at the same time.

Get these sides in the 2nd division sand get it working, then expand the A League to 16, with teams earning promotion.

The aleague will implode guarantee it

There are enough spuds running around now before adding 2 more

Unless we get more internationals bigger salary caps or no salary cap

Not sure they have the talent pool to drive this but they need to do something...

Salary cap needs a big raise though. Not many players in the league that actually put bums in seats is there

Also need transfer fees between clubs. Jets and ccm might do something if city/sydney had to pay for their best players every year...

I’m not buying the whole small talent pool thing.
Since covid and expansion, we’ve seen some of our best attacking talents in years get opportunities and start to make a name for themselves (Kuol and Irakunda).

If expansion can help accelerate our future stars growth via these opportunities the national team and game in general will immensely benefit from this decision long term.

You can't compare the choice of Macarthur and Western to Auckland and Canberra.

The first 2 are extremely young regions that have potential. The later are well established cities who can easily hold their own.

Choosing city before bid gives the chance to select the best bid for the place you want rather then an owner who wants to be based in a specific place that won't necessarily been great (the Western and Macarthur owners are happy and able to support the teams they have, as well as Newcastle in the case of western)

I have no idea why we're going back to Auckland. Canberra is a no-brainer, but we already have one problem child over in NZ, why would we want a second one? What a NZ tv rights worth?

Back