A-League

Do you support expansion

• Yes, for the good of the league

Votes: 65 82.3%
  • No, the league is fine the way it is

Votes: 14 17.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I have no idea why we're going back to Auckland. Canberra is a no-brainer, but we already have one problem child over in NZ, why would we want a second one? What a NZ tv rights worth?
Going back to Auckland makes about as much sense as going back to the GC. They had their chance, and had to move to Wellington to become a club.

Canberra can support a team, but it's a city of 400k, half the size of Western Melbourne.

Raiders get around 13k when the team is good, and the Brumbies attract around 8k. So whilst they might be able to attract around 5k, I don't see it being a big boom for the comp.

I have no idea why we're going back to Auckland. Canberra is a no-brainer, but we already have one problem child over in NZ, why would we want a second one? What a NZ tv rights worth?
Problem child...
Elaborate, and be very careful with what you say next 😉

Canberra can support a team, but it's a city of 400k, half the size of Western Melbourne.

Raiders get around 13k when the team is good, and the Brumbies attract around 8k. So whilst they might be able to attract around 5k, I don't see it being a big boom for the comp.
And they wont be keeping any good players as who tf wants to live in Canberra?!

Threats?

* off.
It definitely not a serious threat! Just playing around 😅

I was just wanting the justification for calling the Nix a problem child - Wellington and NZ are far from a problem in the APL's eyes if they want another NZ team 🤷‍♂️

It definitely not a serious threat! Just playing around 😅

I was just wanting the justification for calling the Nix a problem child - Wellington and NZ are far from a problem in the APL's eyes if they want another NZ team 🤷‍♂️

You're very aware that I was one of very few people supporting the Nux going back 4(ish?) years when they were struggling to have their license renewed.

We all know the problems with Wellington despite the improvements (albeit short term ones) post COVID.

You're very aware that I was one of very few people supporting the Nux going back 4(ish?) years when they were struggling to have their license renewed.

We all know the problems with Wellington despite the improvements (albeit short term ones) post COVID.
Thank you for supporting us through that, but despite the "problems" (which were just logistical, if I'm reading the room right) we've been a competitive side pre- and post-COVID. We've got a core 5k+ fanbase rocking up to games, which is on par with most of the league right now and have a great squad.

I wish we had a rectangular stadium to play out of (which would influence the masses to come for the atmosphere) but that's our only hurdle at the moment :)

Thank you for supporting us through that, but despite the "problems" (which were just logistical, if I'm reading the room right) we've been a competitive side pre- and post-COVID. We've got a core 5k+ fanbase rocking up to games, which is on par with most of the league right now and have a great squad.

I wish we had a rectangular stadium to play out of (which would influence the masses to come for the atmosphere) but that's our only hurdle at the moment :)

The fact that they're as bad as everyone else isn't a positive thing, and if we were admitting clubs in the hope of a 5k fan base attending every games then we're cooked.

I don't have a problem with the Nux, never have - I think they add a point of difference to the league, which is why I wanted them kept around.

But they have been nowhere near successful enough to warrant another NZ team in a market where the A-League has already failed.

The positive is I guess altruistic, in that I think it adds to the development of NZ football by creating more opportunities. Which I guess is good if the medium-long term plan is to go back to Oceania, or if the FIFA/AFC/OFC plan is to split Asia and half and fold Oceania into East Asia - even that I could live with. But let's not pretend Auckland should've been a priority.

Where would the Auckland based team play out of?
The NZ Knights played out of North Harbour which had a good capacity (14,000 seats) but apparently it was not in the heart of the CBD.
Eden Park would be too big to play out of except for derbies perhaps.
The Warriors stadium has a capacity of 30,000 so you would think that would be too big as well?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where would the Auckland based team play out of?
The NZ Knights played out of North Harbour which had a good capacity (14,000 seats) but apparently it was not in the heart of the CBD.
Eden Park would be too big to play out of except for derbies perhaps.
The Warriors stadium has a capacity of 30,000 so you would think that would be too big as well?

Calling North Harbour Stadium in Albany at the far northern end of Auckland home was seen as a key weakness of the Knights and Townsend said Mt Smart Stadium in Penrose, best known as the home of the Warriors, was seen as the ideal base for a new club.

The article above says most likely out of Mt. Smart stadium.

I can see Tassie getting shafted which will be extremely disappointing. There's such an appetite for the game down here but I totally understand the reluctance of business people to put a lot of time, money and effort into putting proposals together when the place is treated like a red (two)headed stepchild on the sporting landscape.

Only need to look at how the AFL are treating the state to see that it's still looked at commercially like it was in the 90s.

As someone who has made some good (and equally horrific) investments before I would be very confident in a club in Hobart being a huge success story.

I can see Tassie getting shafted which will be extremely disappointing. There's such an appetite for the game down here but I totally understand the reluctance of business people to put a lot of time, money and effort into putting proposals together when the place is treated like a red (two)headed stepchild on the sporting landscape.

Only need to look at how the AFL are treating the state to see that it's still looked at commercially like it was in the 90s.

As someone who has made some good (and equally horrific) investments before I would be very confident in a club in Hobart being a huge success story.

The big sticking point for Tasmania is an appropriate rectangular stadium.
While North Hobart looked ok for a Western United game I hate seeing highlights of WU games at Ballarat and when they played a game at Whitten Oval.

The Jackjumpers were able to get a refurbished entertainment centre as part of their entry and are now seeking an increased capacity so if the government can offer the same support then I agree a Tasmanian side could be viable.

The big sticking point for Tasmania is an appropriate rectangular stadium.
While North Hobart looked ok for a Western United game I hate seeing highlights of WU games at Ballarat and when they played a game at Whitten Oval.

The Jackjumpers were able to get a refurbished entertainment centre as part of their entry and are now seeking an increased capacity so if the government can offer the same support then I agree a Tasmanian side could be viable.
North Hobart is a very small Aussie Rules ground and wouldn't take much to make it an awesome boutique stadium. Also walking distance to North Hobart precinct with heaps of pubs and bars. Could easily set up an academy/training facility over the highway and have this as matchday parking as well.

Sitting behind the goals looking back up towards Mt Wellington would make it a very unique stadium. At present there's cruise ships coming in every other day bringing in thousands upon thousands of tourists that you could capitalise on during the summer. If you can get 5k on a rainy day to watch Western United play there you'd get that on your worst day to see a Tasmanian team.

1679118630754.png

North Hobart is a very small Aussie Rules ground and wouldn't take much to make it an awesome boutique stadium. Also walking distance to North Hobart precinct with heaps of pubs and bars. Could easily set up an academy/training facility over the highway and have this as matchday parking as well.

Sitting behind the goals looking back up towards Mt Wellington would make it a very unique stadium. At present there's cruise ships coming in every other day bringing in thousands upon thousands of tourists that you could capitalise on during the summer. If you can get 5k on a rainy day to watch Western United play there you'd get that on your worst day to see a Tasmanian team.

View attachment 1632814

Yep, North Hobart has always been the perfect solution, because you probably only need to rebuild about a third of the ground to make a rectangle field anyway. It'll be a large-ish rectangle field, but it'd be more than adequate.

Yep, North Hobart has always been the perfect solution, because you probably only need to rebuild about a third of the ground to make a rectangle field anyway. It'll be a large-ish rectangle field, but it'd be more than adequate.
And it comes with ready made heritage, which even though isn't football related gives it some long time serving grace.

As someone who has never lived in Hobart until a few months ago it seems like it has the makings of something special. Hobart reminds me of small English type grounds, absolute legit.

The increasing number of global footballing groups was something he pointed to as being beneficial to the A-Leagues plans for growth, not just because they bring footballing IP and global networks to startup sides, as well as the ability to streamline and share costs, but also because new FIFA rules surrounding the number of players one club can loan makes the ownership of owning multiple clubs around the world a more attractive proposition. He said that while formal discussions were yet to occur, media reporting had seen the league receive interest from several consortiums interested in investing in a Canberra or Auckland licence.

And as for those other markets, those who would ostensibly be front of the line for 2025-26 even if their use as a backup wasn't required?
"Gold Coast, Brisbane, Tassie," said Townsend. "Obviously, Wollongong have been banging on the door for a while now.
"I get a sense of we'll know in the next sort of a [seven weeks] as to where we are with [Canberra and Auckland] and so far we've got enough evidence to be confident that they'll both get up."

The TAS govt really should be looking at a 15k multipurpose rectangular stadium that can be transformed into a concert venue.

Back